Surge protector not even lighting up - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2017, 11:11 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
I thought an energized converter would still supply AC, even with the battery switch off, no? Not in a position to test that at the moment...
Old 10-01-2017, 12:16 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 21 replaced Casita
My surge protector has a bypass on the corner of the front panel. I think it is the lower left corner. The trailer is at storage so I can't look.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:27 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I thought an energized converter would still supply AC, even with the battery switch off, no? Not in a position to test that at the moment...
Yes, pretty certain that it does not matter if our switch is off.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:50 AM   #24

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
A good question, and I haven't seen an answer.
Left us ALL in the dark
Old 10-01-2017, 12:54 AM   #25

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
I might have missed it in the initial trouble shooting, but did you check if any AC appliances or outlets are hot, Sally, despite the lack of activity from the EMS? Maybe EMS is in override (off) but AC is actually on?
Old 10-01-2017, 01:40 AM   #26
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Yes, the converter will still function when connected to shore power. The EMS (not the converter) should work whenever shore power is present, but can be bypassed.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:44 AM   #27

Trailer: 2012 17B
Sorry not to get back, ended up being a fraught afternoon and evening. Just got back from the emergency vet $650 poorer after dog fight repair. .

Trailer is off with the friends. there was no AC anywhere in the trailer, battery switch was on and all works well off the batteries and solar. Not worried about that. The surge protector was a pretty solid box, i could neither see nor feel any switches on the exterior. They are going to Yosemite so won't need air conditioning, that's for sure, and i told them to park where the sun would hit the solar panels. Also not to park near El Capitan.

I will report what the RV repair place has to say when i get the trailer back.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:55 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I thought an energized converter would still supply AC, even with the battery switch off, no?
Yes, the power centre's 120 V AC distribution panel is live whenever power is supplied to the shore power cord, regardless of the battery/storage switch position.

The converter within the power centre provides 12 V DC power whenever there is AC power from the shore power cord and the circuit breaker for the converter (in the AC distribution panel) is on. That DC power is available to all circuits supplied from the DC distribution (fuse) panel in the power centre regardless of the switch position; however, power from the converter can't reach the battery, or anything directly connected to the battery, unless the battery/storage switch is on.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 07:38 PM   #29

Trailer: 2012 17B
Well, i promised to give the diagnosis of what was wrong when i got the trailer back. The result is : GREMLINS! The trailer was returned yesterday. I decided to plug it in to fiddle a bit more before taking it to the repair shop. It worked immediately. I have set a Gremlin trap next to the surge protector to keep it from happening again.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 12:34 PM   #30

Trailer: 2011 Casita SD 17 Sold July 2016: 2015 Escape 21 Aug 2016
Check the Power Cord

We too had electrical gremlins a year ago with our new-to-us 2015 21'. Also thought the problem was in the EMS but turned out to be the trailer power cord -- so no power was getting to the trailer. We have the detachable power cord and the protective boot on the trailer end had slipped in such a way as to prevent good contact. Spent some time troubleshooting with Progressive Industries (who were helpful and patient). Then got in touch with ETI. They suggested the power cord and were able to tell me how to adjust the boot. (Apparently they had seen previous issues with that model power cord and it has since been changed.) Has been fine ever since.

Even if you don't have the detachable cord it may be possible that there is a connection issue upstream of the surge protector.
a602pmcc is online now   Reply With Quote