Table in Escape 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 05:48 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Table in Escape 21

It appears there are three options for a dinette table in an Escape 21. The original design with a hinged table, a traditional sliding table with two pedestals and an abbreviated table for the wrap around seating.

I am familiar with the sliding table as it was in my Escape 19, the wrap around seating does not ring my bell so it is not an option. I was initially attracted to the hinged table and it was one reason for the upgrade from the 19. I know the table is smaller as a result of the hinge.

Do you have the hinged table and can you give an opinion of how you like it?

Can you give me the dimensions of the table?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I can only give you an opinion based on wants, rather than as a current Escape owner.

I have the hinged table in my Scamp and love it. Nothing to store with any difficulty (I store the extra bed piece under one of the dinette cushions), no pedestals on the floor to hinder extra storage and I can handle it totally by myself with zero problems. I've used it that way for ten years.

I'm getting one for my new 5er because I like it!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:46 AM   #3

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Table

Paul and Janet,
Our 21 table is hinged to the wall and it is 36" deep and 34 1/2 wide. In the 19 we changed to a small table on one post with a U shape bench, for the two of us we liked it as we could see around the bath to watch TV. The 21 dinette is larger and we have more room in the isle and the TV is mounted to the bath wall where we can see it from both benches and the larger benches allow us to stretch out or allow the dog up with us. So, yes we like it although Nancy saw a picture of a wood finish table, I don't know about that.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 21' Escape (June 2014)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
Paul and Janet,
The 21 dinette is larger and we have more room in the isle and the TV is mounted to the bath wall where we can see it from both benches
Jack
Is that the factory standard place to mount the TV? Did you use the factory mount or something else?
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:25 PM   #5

Jack,
Thanks for the opinion and dimensions. I did not realize the dinette was larger on the 21 but it does make sense. From the bed dimensions of 48x86 from the ETI website it appears the table in the down position would make the bed narrower by 12 inches. At least narrower in the area where the table makes the bed surface.

What happens to this area when the table is down? Is it covered by cushions? Would someone inadvertently sit down and not have table underneath? Did you feel the need to add a portable board between the benches to make up for the lost space as a result of the shallower table?
Old 02-06-2014, 01:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Generally, ETI provides a laminate-covered board to fill the space to make the bed the maximum width. The back cushions go on top of the table and board.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:39 PM   #7

21 table

The extra board is stored (for us in the back upper cab.)
Jack
Old 02-06-2014, 03:43 PM   #8

21 table

I picked up a TV mount from Costco that was slightly larger and I mounted it on the bath wall where it will swing out in front of the bath door area or will swing around so to be seen in bed.
Jack
Old 02-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjack View Post
I picked up a TV mount from Costco that was slightly larger and I mounted it on the bath wall where it will swing out in front of the bath door area or will swing around so to be seen in bed.
Jack
Do you have any pictures to share of that set up? Thanks!
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:17 PM   #10

Trailer: escape 21may 2014
When my wife and I visited the factory. We noticed if you were sitting at the dinette on the passenger side you could not see a tv if the mounting was in the bed area. The wall by the stove would block your view. We opted to put a mounting arm in the dinette area also.
burrab2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:47 PM   #11

Is the table a true rectangle or does it have the angled outer corners like the 19 has?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
With or without the cut-out corners, it's not a true rectangle (at least in the 15) because the trailer itself is slightly bowed in the center and the dinette seating follows the contour of the outer trailer walls. Thus the table is slightly narrower at the wall end. While this picture is exaggerated because of the angle, it gives one an idea of the shape.
Attached Thumbnails
Egbert-004.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:08 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Is the table a true rectangle or does it have the angled outer corners like the 19 has?
I will be interested in others answers to this question. Because of the shape of these trailers, at least in our 15, the table is not a true rectangle but a hexagon (if you have the corners cut) with only the front and back parallel. I discovered this when I had Escape divide my table in thirds and found the back and front pieces were not interchangeable. The back is narrower and grows larger toward the front. The width between our benches in the back by the wall is 25 inches and 27 at the front. The back piece could not be used at the front because it would fall through the two inch wider gap. Now, that being said I can't speak for the 19 or 21 but I suspect they are the same way. The reason is that the bench width needs to be kept a consistent depth and yet all of the trailers narrow down at the back, so there is less distance between benches at the back and more at the front. Maybe this isn't your intended question and you are only interested in the cut off corners which is done to allow easy access to the seats. Some have chosen to have a sorter table , and therefore don't need the corners cut off and have a filler piece when the dinette is converted to a bed. But, even if you don't have the corners cut off you won't have a perfect rectangle. So my question to other owners is does anyone have a table where the bench sides of the table are truly parallel? In other words is a perfect rectangle table a reality in any Escape ?
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 12:01 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Jim and Julie, you are right about the 21. The sliding table is narrower at the back by about 2" (35.5" to 33.5") while the benches maintain 24" depth front to back.
Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:12 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I find the way Escape builds the benches... interesting. In my Deluxe Scamp, the table is a perfect rectangle, but the benches are narrower in back and wider in the front... exactly backwards to the Escape build. Scamps method would make it easier to replace flooring under the table too, because it also is a perfect rectangle. Hummmm.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #16

table

How about reversing cushions?
Jack
Old 02-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
While the distance between the benches in the 21 narrows in the rear, all cushions remain a rectangle. If you make up the bed, you just squish em more in the rear.
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Every table is custom built to fit the area between the seats. I doubt you'll find two exactly the same size. Reace explained to me that the curvature of the mold made it easier to build the seat frames first then carefully size the table so it wouldn't fall through when set down as a bed as the seats are not exactly parallel.
onetim is offline   Reply With Quote