Table slopes 1/2” front to back - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Table slopes 1/2” front to back

As anyone had an issue with the Springfield 1660230 pedestal not being square?

We had ETI mount our full sized table with our supplied Springfield pedestal. The table slopes 1/2” from front to back. The table appears installed correctly but I can’t really tell where the issue is as we are camping on our first shake down trip When we get home this weekend, I will use a framing square to check floor to pedestal alignment and pedestal to table alignment. The ETI slider plywood is parallel to the table top, 1 1/8” both front and back so that is not it.

We didn’t really notice until we sat down at the table once we were set up. We had the table in the down position during travel to carry our folding chairs and other stuff. (We plan on rethinking our gear since with the 5th wheel we can no longer carry those things under a tonneau cover in the truck bed.)

At this point I suspect the pedestal was tweaked out of alignment during shipping.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Arnie, first congratulations for joining the 5.0TA club.

We just had our Springfield replaced last month at Springfield Marine. Your post caused me to go outside and check ours. It's almost perfectly level front to back, and side to side I was surprised to see it was off quite a bit until DUH! I realized that trailer's off about the same amount side to side where parked in our yard.

I find the Springfield so much better when fully locked. It's so stable compared to our previous 5.0 with standard two pedestals which was always a bit rocky and table sloped front to back.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 11:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Arnie, first congratulations for joining the 5.0TA club.

We just had our Springfield replaced last month at Springfield Marine. Your post caused me to go outside and check ours. It's almost perfectly level front to back, and side to side I was surprised to see it was off quite a bit until DUH! I realized that trailer's off about the same amount side to side where parked in our yard.

I find the Springfield so much better when fully locked. It's so stable compared to our previous 5.0 with standard two pedestals which was always a bit rocky and table sloped front to back.
Thanks! We absolutely love the trailer so far! So much more room than the 19’.

I don’t have a level with me. I do have a tape measure so the slope I’m describing is from the table top to the floor. We tried loosing the clamps then tightening them again. There is a bit of play when loose but it goes away once tightened and the slope returns.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 05-02-2019, 01:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
🤔 is the trailer level?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 02:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🤔 is the trailer level?
And there's level and there's level. On my trailer I have several different "levels". If I measure the floor with a 4' level fore and aft towards the rear I get one level. If I measure at the front under the dinette I get a slightly different "level". If I measure the counter top I get another slightly different level.

I selected one location as my reference point against which I determine if a mod etc. is "level".

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:55 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Make sure the clamps are tight.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0TA "SCRATCH" First 5.0 TA registered in South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post

I don’t have a level with me. I do have a tape measure so the slope I’m describing is from the table top to the floor. We tried loosing the clamps then tightening them again. There is a bit of play when loose but it goes away once tightened and the slope returns.
Hey Arnie Can't believe you didn't take a framing square and level. When I pick mine up I'm gonna have everything except one of my chain saws. Did you try the iPhone bubble level? I don't know about Androids but on the iPhone compass if you swipe right to left the level shows up. You can then lay the phone flat or on it's edges.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:17 PM   #8

Yes, the trailer is level. But it doesn’t matter because the 1/2” slope is relative to the floor when measured from the table top to the floor. The floor and table are not parallel.

Yes, the clamps are tight also.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 05-02-2019, 09:34 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Probably easier to remove the pedestal and put it on another flat surface and check it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:28 AM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I made a set of shims for mine a while back, I can put them between the table top and the pedestal. Weird thing is that after removing it and putting it back on I didn't need them. I had cranked down on the clamps which is why I brought it up.
Old 05-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #11

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 w/Maple interior
I just picked up my trailer 5 days ago. I notice a slope front to back on my table (with a Springfield pedestal) as well. Haven’t had a chance to investigate yet. So any suggestions will be appreciated.
sailjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:53 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
With that small a slant, its wouldn't take much of a shim between the table top & mount to fix...
Old 05-08-2019, 12:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post

Hi: arniesea... A glass of beer ought to do. With that little slant I'd not worry about spillage and I'd sure drink the contents, level or not!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 03:25 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 1721
It's likely due to the welded frame supporting the back not being level with the main frame it's attached to. When we leveled the trailer so the floor, countertops and bed were level, the table wasn't level. To address, I unscrewed the pedestal top from the bottom of the table, inserted a few washers and reinserted the screws. This along with ensuring the pedestal clamps are tight seem to have fixed the table problem. The benches are still off, but you don't notice them as much as the table being off.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
It's likely due to the welded frame supporting the back not being level with the main frame it's attached to.
This was indeed the issue in my case. I took photos and sent them to ETI. They said it was typical in 5.0 for the rear of the floor to slope. I have put shims under the table base and was about to cut them off but after reading your post, perhaps shims between the table top and the top of the Springfield pedestal would be a better approach. This way I wouldn't have a gap at the floor to fill with caulk and it would not be readily visible.

In the following photos, you can see the rear of the floor change elevation about 1/3rd of the way back. In my case, ETI did install the bench seats level and contoured the front panels to follow the floor. That was my first clue that this is not an unusual occurrence.
Attached Thumbnails
kuhGgNT+SMOnXUzbshbffA.jpg   +uGqeS4UQd62j%TeNWpoQg.jpg   DgWfP6JbRyqdK8bvbxEWXA.jpg   9tS2p5PMSqmcSU5OARVl9g.jpg   WswEjBiZRS2cLBNy65AABg.jpg  

ap97YCufSRGAM%OXgG362g.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
Old 05-09-2019, 12:32 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotateclockwise View Post
It's likely due to the welded frame supporting the back not being level with the main frame it's attached to. When we leveled the trailer so the floor, countertops and bed were level, the table wasn't level. To address, I unscrewed the pedestal top from the bottom of the table, inserted a few washers and reinserted the screws. This along with ensuring the pedestal clamps are tight seem to have fixed the table problem. The benches are still off, but you don't notice them as much as the table being off.

My table was slanted over 1" from front to back. After sleuthing everything out, I found that when the trailer frame was level, then the main floor inside the trailer was also level (good for refrigerator), BUT that the floor under the table slanted significantly front to back exactly the same amount that the table slanted ... so for my trailer, it's the floor under the table that slants ... tho why they wouldn't build it level with the rest of the floor is a question. I did the same thing ... installed washers between pedestal top and table to raise the back end of the table. No more rolling pencils, no spilled beer, no slopping soup, and no more slanting laptop screen!
AnnHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Almost forgot ... when the pedestal and table top were installed at ETI just before delivery, they installed the two so that the table top had about 3" more length from the pedestal to the back wall than the length from the pedestal to the front of the table. Although the pedestal and table top were both centered from side to side, the pedestal was very much not centered under the table top from front to back. I've thought about moving the pedestal but that would leave holes in the flooring to fill. Seems it would have been easy enough to mark the center of the table and install the pedestal on that mark. This offset added to the cant of the table towards the back wall. Adding the washers seems to have solved the problem.
AnnHay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #18

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd ask why the pedestal was installed that way, before moving it and then finding out why.
Old 05-09-2019, 02:46 PM   #19

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Could you please show a picture of the washer cure? Thanks.
Old 05-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #20

I used plastic door shims between my table top and the pedestal this morning. I didn't go the washer route as the gap is nearly 1/2" so that would be a lot of washers. Also with the shims I could dial in the adjustments pretty easily. I took the photos before I cut off the excess shims showing so it was clear what I did.

Regarding the table offset. In my 19' we had the stock twin posts. In that application the table is at a fixed height or disconnected. So the table can be installed against the wall in the "up" position. With the Springfield the top is fixed to the post. So because the back wall curves inward, the table needs to be installed so it clears the back wall when lowered. This leaves a gap between the back wall and the table top in the upper position.

I don't know but perhaps in Ann's situation with the 21' the back wall curves more so there needs to be more of an offset? Just guessing here.

Edit: The 2nd photo almost looks like the pedestal is slightly bent. That is not the case. It is hard to see but there are shims along each side supporting the edges of the pedestal top plate.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4277.jpg   IMG_4278.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA

Tags
pedestal, springfield