Table up or table down - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2013, 10:57 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Table up or table down

Maybe a poll would be better, but I'm trying to decide on which type of table to have in the new 21', the hinge type which is narrower and smaller at the end to allow ease of access vs the slider type which is bigger but slides to allow ease of access.

My dilemma is the slider is really awkward to take up and down and I have towed the 19' when the table came off the supports and did some minor damage to some switches.

Do you leave the slider up while towing and have you had any trouble with it staying upright?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I really like the slider type, and would do it again in a heartbeat. While the pedestals Escape uses work fine, I would like to be able to upgrade to a better fitting type.

Unless we have someone sleeping on the dinette, which has happened maybe 10 times in 5 seasons, we leave our table up. There is no issue with doing so that I could ever see, and the convenience is nice to have.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 Coachmen Nova 20C
Slider - Norma really likes the size of the sliding version not to mention being able to pull it in closer. She plans on bringing a small sewing machine on trips where I'll be off doing things solo.

I've always lowered the table for travel on our Scamp and 17B, but I'll see how well this one locks up when we get it.
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I absolutely love my slider table and the ease of access. I leave it up while travelling and have not had any issues. That being said, it's not used as a bed so I'm not faced with putting it up and down on a daily basis...a challenging task for a single traveler.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
After two weeks we like the slider and we will keep it up when traveling.
Old 09-20-2013, 04:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
We liked the slider on our 2008 5.0 and got it again on the new 2013 5.0. We leave it up when traveling with no issues.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #7

Trailer: No more Escape 21
After looking at both types last week we went with the hinge type for our new 21. We did have the slider in our 19. Both are great, but for our needs the hinge works best for us.
Old 09-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #8

Can you elaborate more on your decision, Rick? I'm in the middle trying to decide, you have seen them both, I have only seen the 19, what made your decision? Thanks
Old 09-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We chose the hinge type of table and have been very grateful that we did. The table isn't actually any more narrow than the slider type, because it fits in the same space when collapsed for the bed, but it is shorter and we had a notch taken off of the bathroom side for easier access in our 19. Keep in mind that there are only the two of us, so a larger table wasn't necessary. We've only used the dinette as a bed once and it is incredibly simple to change back and forth.
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 07:36 AM   #10

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I find that the proportions of the dinette benches are a little too deep (horizontally) and when the table is centered, both bench backs are a little too far away from the table for total comfort. Having a table that slides gives some flexibility to the situation, allowing the person on one side to pull the table into closer range. The person on the opposite side has to sit forward (without back support), or add pillow(s) behind his/her back. I don't want to imply that this is a big deal or a major problem.

Also, we find the sliding table top on pedestals not at all difficult to switch back and forth to a bed. It does help to have two people on the job. We drive with the table up and have not had any problems with that. --Liz
Old 09-21-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have no experience with pedestal style tables in a trailer, only in restaurants and really dislike tangling my feet up on posts. I'm a stretcher and having my feet/legs confined gives me claustrophobia! I own a Scamp and the hinge table works just as designed and the entire area is free of obstacles. Since I travel alone, it's easy peasy to set up/take down and no parts to stow AND, the entire area under the "bed" is completely free for storage tubs, etc. I would only consider a pedestal table if I was having a U-shaped dinette built. YMMV.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:09 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... We've had the Boler style drop down, and the pedestal style with the U dinette. Much prefer the latter!!! We carry some old grey work socks to slip over the pedestal tubes so no matter where they get stored, while traveling, they won't mar any of the surfaces from rolling around.
After 6 seasons use I've learned to be firm putting the tubes into the sockets and we always travel with the table up unless we have third party using it for a bed.
One of the first ?'s I asked Reace about the new 5.0 is if it's avail. with a U shaped dinette. Haven't heard back. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvomaha View Post
I find that the proportions of the dinette benches are a little too deep (horizontally) and when the table is centered, both bench backs are a little too far away from the table for total comfort. Having a table that slides gives some flexibility to the situation, allowing the person on one side to pull the table into closer range. The person on the opposite side has to sit forward (without back support), or add pillow(s) behind his/her back. I don't want to imply that this is a big deal or a major problem.

Also, we find the sliding table top on pedestals not at all difficult to switch back and forth to a bed. It does help to have two people on the job. We drive with the table up and have not had any problems with that. --Liz
I am of the same mind, that the back rest is too far from the front edge of the table if you want to sit back. Not a huge deal, but in hind sight I would have made the benches narrower, and move the drivers side one in about 12" creating a storage space behind the seat back.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #14

Trailer: none
This is our first experience with the pedestal table. It has pro's and con's. We have the U shaped dinette but we never use it as a bed. We like the sliding aspect of the table and we like being able to leave it up while traveling. In our previous Scamps we always put the table down to travel as recommended. The Scamp table always felt a little iffy...ours never felt like it fit securely into the brackets on the back wall.

Our Escape table slides front to back, not side to side. That works fine because sliding it back allows both of us to get into the seating area at the same time.
What we don't like is the bulkiness of the two pedestal legs. It really limits your foot/leg space particularly when there are two people sitting. (Dave is 6'2" so his legs and feet need a bit of space.) Lots of shin bumping and toes getting bruised especially if one person (Dave....) has shoes on and the other does not!

We like the telescoping pedestal idea but don't think the table would be stable away with just one pedestal..... We also liked Techfan's idea of a criss-cross folding leg table but it still puts lots of hardware under the table. Still thinking.....don't know what the bets solution is....
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #15
Site Team

Maybe Klaus can give us an honest appraisal on how the telescoping pedestal is working out since they've been using it for about 15 months now: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...-bed-1560.html I like the idea of this, especially since it's used on "big boats," and nothing moves around quite like a boat!

Besides, it's on sale at Camping World right now and is cheaper than I've found other places on the WWW: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...d-finish/47697
Old 09-21-2013, 10:57 AM   #16

Donna,
Walmart has it for less Springfield Three Stage Black Pedestal - Walmart.com
Old 09-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Currently, out of stock online. Groan, I really dislike going to the store...
Old 09-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #18

Trailer: none
One of the advantages of the current double pedestal table is that you can take it out completely for easier access to the storage areas, electrical components, etc. And, without the table in place, the area is a very nice lounging space.
I wonder if the telescoping pedestal is removable like the standard arrangement is....
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 04:00 PM   #19

Trailer: No more Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Can you elaborate more on your decision, Rick? I'm in the middle trying to decide, you have seen them both, I have only seen the 19, what made your decision? Thanks
Jim, while we were at Chilliwack, we spent some time looking at each table setup. We finally decided that with just the two of us the shorter hinged table allows us to get in and out without having to slide the table. And being attached to the front wall, allows for a more stable platform. If the slider was the only option we would still be happy as it's a nice setup. We just like the larger opening that the hinged setup allows.
Old 09-21-2013, 04:21 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I'm still trying to understand what it means to have a hinged table. In our old airstream we had a hinged table that when not used folded up flush against the wall and was completely out of the way. What happens to the hinged table in the Escape when it's not being used?
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote