Television storage ? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2019, 01:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Television storage ?

I understand the tv needs to be taken off the arm and stored while trailering. Any suggestions for how and where to do that with a 17B ? I have the original box with styrofoam packaging and I'm using that between two bins in the back of my truck. Looking for a more permanent solution inside the trailer.
Thanks, Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:04 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
All depends on weight of the tv, I left mine mounted for several cross country trips. Also if your mount is secure in a stud behind the wall versus just an added piece of wood.
Old 07-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I always take mine off as it is very rarely used anyway. I store it against the outside wall in the hanging closet held in place by a couple elasticized cords. It rests on a piece of 1/2 ensolite foam as well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 03:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I always take mine off as it is very rarely used anyway. I store it against the outside wall in the hanging closet held in place by a couple elasticized cords. It rests on a piece of 1/2 ensolite foam as well.
Thanks that would also work for us. We have 4 plastic storage bins in that closet that are 6" shy of the width. We have some clothes hanging in that space. I'll lay down some foam and fit the tv in there. It will be protected and safe.

Bob
Old 07-21-2019, 04:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold
docking station for TV

This is how we stored ours in our 17B. Quick and easy build.
Attached Thumbnails
20160518_092732_resized_1.jpg  
fbalexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 04:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbalexander View Post
Well done!
Old 07-21-2019, 05:35 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We always removed and stored ours for the first couple of years. After that it stayed on. No problems for 3 years.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
We take ours off the mount and lay it face down on the bed. It travels well there with minimal vibration I think. Then it just takes a few seconds to hang it back up when we arrive at our destination.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We always removed and stored ours for the first couple of years. After that it stayed on. No problems for 3 years.

Ron
Our 19" Samsung was fine riding in the bracket. When we upgraded to a 24" smart TV it was too much for the bracket. Now I tuck it into the Travesak on the bed between stops. Snap it into quick release and three plugs and its ready to go.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:40 PM   #10

I am a bit curious, how often do folks use there TV, if at all? Many seem to keep it set up all the time, or set it up when stopped. I know lots of folks that don't even bring one.

No wrong answer.

We do take one just in case. Went 25 years using an RV and never had one. Bought ours 3 years ago in a trip to Oregon where we saw wicked weather the whole time, worst storm in decades. We had 2 evening fires is all, and with the second one we were pushed inside at 9pm with rain. We went and got A TV and used it a bunch that trip watching movies that I loaded on my laptop. .

Since then we have used it once, but will keep it just in case.

I like the look inside better when it is stowed.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-21-2019, 08:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
Quote:
Originally Posted by casejh View Post
We take ours off the mount and lay it face down on the bed. It travels well there with minimal vibration I think. Then it just takes a few seconds to hang it back up when we arrive at our destination.
We find we don't use out TV often. When I hang it up I don't even plug it in (unless we decide to use it). Just gets it off the bed and out of the way when we stop, but easy to plug in and use when desired.
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We always take our TV down when traveling after having our TV mount break from fatigue , luckily the TV was not damaged . My wife made a heavy padded storage bag for the TV and it rides on a shelf in the pantry .
We built an ATHiker antenna system for OTA TV , it works remarkably well .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 09:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbalexander View Post
Nice job ! I'll duplicate that ! We probably will not use ours to watch broadcast television. We do sometimes want to see local news, particularly if there has been a weather warning or other significant problem. We do not have cable or OTA tv at our home. Only have one 28" tv that's 12yrs old ! When we do watch it's streaming video, YouTube, Prime, Netflix etc.

B
Old 07-21-2019, 10:57 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I am a bit curious, how often do folks use there TV, if at all? Many seem to keep it set up all the time, or set it up when stopped. I know lots of folks that don't even bring one.
I'm a hard core news junkie. If it's possible to catch a newscast I'll be watching it.

I don't get my fix of news nearly as much with the trailer. A lot of time there's no coverage. In other areas, how's that for being non-specific , the only news channels that I receive aren't ones that I want to watch. So, overall, our trailer TV watching time is much less than at home.

We sometimes take stuff from Netflix with us and occasionally can stream movies in places that we didn't expect we'd be able to.

At any rate, my view is that if it's ready to use it'll likely get used more than it it has to be set-up.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 09:54 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
We always take our TV along and a portable sat dish & receiver as well. We used to carry our TV laying screen down on the bed, under the bedding, when traveling. On our recent trip, our TV gave it up and we had to replace it. My theory was that bouncing down the road damaged the LED screen so we now carry the replacement TV in our truck in it's original cardboard box and packaging. We got 3 years out of the first one and at $125 for a replacement, consider it just normal wear and tear.

We did tour a Bigfoot 21 in Spokane recently and it had a very nice, positive latching wall mount. I plan to shop around and see if I can find it for sale anywhere. There was also an auxiliary strap that goes over the TV to make sure it doesn't move when going down the road. I consider the Escape TV mount inadequate at best.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 02:27 PM   #16

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
I am a bit curious, how often do folks use there TV, if at all?

Sounds like a candidate for a poll question.

If I had to give it a number, I'd guess I use mine once in a months worth of camping.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Sounds like a candidate for a poll question.

Have to ask, what would a poll accomplish? If most people don't bring a TV, will that persuade others to leave their TV at home?
Posts discussing bringing a TV are much more thought provoking and pose the question - Tow Vehicle or Television: what to watch?
Old 07-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We don't use the TV that much here, Jim. However, I did just add a bluetooth speaker setup for the TV which allows the speakers to set right by us now at the dinette, with the TV down at the bed end. Really improves the TV use for movies, etc.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 08:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm a hard core news junkie. If it's possible to catch a newscast I'll be watching it.

I don't get my fix of news nearly as much with the trailer. A lot of time there's no coverage. In other areas, how's that for being non-specific , the only news channels that I receive aren't ones that I want to watch. So, overall, our trailer TV watching time is much less than at home.

We sometimes take stuff from Netflix with us and occasionally can stream movies in places that we didn't expect we'd be able to.

At any rate, my view is that if it's ready to use it'll likely get used more than it it has to be set-up.

Ron
Probably because before computer news, I was always a newspaper reader and listened some on the radio, but rarely watched on TV as it was never on and in fact never even had one for quite a while.

At home the TV is not on until well into the evening except for watching a movie which we will start shortly after dinner. There, we too use Netflix mostly.

No right or wrong approve to TV viewing, everyone is different. For me, it is just that I don't know any friends or family that watch much at all camping, and most don't even have a TV and kid me for buying one.
Old 07-23-2019, 05:40 AM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
After the last trip out and back I carry a weather radio in my truck and I installed a Jensen am/fm/wb in the trailer. If I had a bit more warning I may have taken diversionary tactics on the road. These radios can be set with an alert. Ironically my phone must have one also as we were sitting in the truck stop waiting out the storm it kept on beeping, I did not know what it was. Between cellular and weather band we should have coverage.