Televisions With 12V Input - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-27-2016, 11:37 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Televisions With 12V Input

I have started searching for TVs with a 12V input, ones that have the transformer (brick) on the input cable that plugs into 120V AC. My preference is 24", though 22" would work too. I don't want an RV specific model with 12V only, as it would be nice to have the flexibility of using 120V when available.

The only one I have found so far is the Insignia 24" 1080p LED TV (NS-24D510NA17). It kinda paled in image quality compared to the backlit LED models beside it. I imagine on it's own it might not be that bad. It is on sale right now, as they seem to be clearing them out.

I phoned a couple places in town, and nobody has a TV with a 12V input. One very helpful chap at London Drugs knew right away what I wanted, and said they used to have at least 3 models with it, but now have none.

I have tried a Google search, but could really find no information on models with the 12V input.

I have heard of Samsung TVs with this 12V input, but all the ones I saw (which looked great) had 120V into the TV.

I know others here have said they have one of these 12V input TVs, and was wondering just what model they have, or if anyone knows of a TV that would fit the bill.

Thanks,
Jim
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have started searching for TVs with a 12V input, ones that have the transformer (brick) on the input cable that plugs into 120V AC. My preference is 24", though 22" would work too. I don't want an RV specific model with 12V only, as it would be nice to have the flexibility of using 120V when available.

The only one I have found so far is the Insignia 24" 1080p LED TV (NS-24D510NA17). It kinda paled in image quality compared to the backlit LED models beside it. I imagine on it's own it might not be that bad. It is on sale right now, as they seem to be clearing them out.

I phoned a couple places in town, and nobody has a TV with a 12V input. One very helpful chap at London Drugs knew right away what I wanted, and said they used to have at least 3 models with it, but now have none.

I have tried a Google search, but could really find no information on models with the 12V input.

I have heard of Samsung TVs with this 12V input, but all the ones I saw (which looked great) had 120V into the TV.

I know others here have said they have one of these 12V input TVs, and was wondering just what model they have, or if anyone knows of a TV that would fit the bill.

Thanks,
Jim
Hi: Jim Bennett... We have a 120V 19" Toshiba TV w/built in DVD player in our trailer. We also have a 75/ 60W continuous plug in converter (10 bucks on sale at Can. Tire) that goes into the 12V socket by the door. It puts out enough juice to power up the TV any where. You just need to unplug the converter if not using the TV as it will continue to draw juice for the cooling fan, from the battery. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Jim Bennett... We have a 120V 19" Toshiba TV in our trailer. We also have a 75/ 60W continuous plug in converter (10 bucks on sale at Can. Tire) that goes into the 12V socket by the door. It puts out enough juice to power up the TV any where. You just need to unplug the converter if not using the TV as it will continue to draw juice from the battery. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
I was hoping to skip this route, but the more I look, the more it seems that this is likely what I will have to do if my search does not turn up any good results.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Here's a decent Samsung with a 14VDC power brick that will run on 12 volts. I had to make up my own 12VDC cable. I think it was rbryan from this forum who pointed it out in another thread.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Here's a decent Samsung with a 14VDC power brick that will run on 12 volts. I had to make up my own 12VDC cable. I think it was rbryan from this forum who pointed it out in another thread.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It seems there is no 24" model that I was hoping to find. Plus, it is not listed on Samsungs website. I wonder if it is a discontinued model.
Old 09-27-2016, 12:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We do the same thing Alf does with the converter and plug into cigarette lighter/usb outlet we added right by the tv.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I can't guarantee the current model will work but this one does - but it is only 22".

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...sion-4047.html
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
I can't guarantee the current model will work but this one does - but it is only 22".

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...sion-4047.html
Currently unavailable on amazon.ca, but will look closer later. I have to run out for a few hours right now.
Old 09-27-2016, 01:36 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Hi Jim, we've been using a Naxa 22" NDT-2252 12v TV from Amazon for the past year in our 5.0TA. Excellent picture, 1080P resolution, built-in DVD player & came with the 120v brick. The internal speakers are inadequate for these old ears so we use a Bluetooth speaker. ETI mounted brackets for the arm at the dinette next to the fridge and at the foot of the bed passenger's side. Only use the bed mount, good for the bed and dinette.
Charlie
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:42 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
We do the same thing Alf does with the converter and plug into cigarette lighter/usb outlet we added right by the tv.
Same here. Used it once but if boondocking runs the batteries down . Now if have hookups , use TV . Really like to be outside or if inside play games, read . TV isn't that important when camping to us . But the TV we have is cheap with a great picture , but not going to cry if something happens to it . Paid 135.00 when bought . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie & Lucy View Post
Hi Jim, we've been using a Naxa 22" NDT-2252 12v TV from Amazon for the past year in our 5.0TA. Excellent picture, 1080P resolution, built-in DVD player & came with the 120v brick. The internal speakers are inadequate for these old ears so we use a Bluetooth speaker. ETI mounted brackets for the arm at the dinette next to the fridge and at the foot of the bed passenger's side. Only use the bed mount, good for the bed and dinette.
Charlie
Never heard of Naxa before, but that does look like a good unit. Not sure how much the DVD player would be used though. Cost on amazon.com is $299 USD, on amazon.ca it is $558 CAD.

Good to hear your take on the placement and usage. I had thought that maybe the dinette location would get more use, but then you could not see it in bed at all, whereas by the bet it can be viewed in both locations. Hmmmm.....

Even though our temp fifth wheel is not exactly like our Escape will be, I could always get a TV and try it out on our 3 week trip starting this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Same here. Used it once but if boondocking runs the batteries down . Now if have hookups , use TV . Really like to be outside or if inside play games, read . TV isn't that important when camping to us . But the TV we have is cheap with a great picture , but not going to cry if something happens to it . Paid 135.00 when bought . Pat
Yeah, for me too, watching TV has never been a big deal, I am just planning for the future which is purely speculative at this time. Could be some cold miserable nights where a movie might be in order. I do like reading too, and will do lots of that.

I used to firmly believe I would not want an oven, as we can use the BBQ for baking just fine, but Lisa has liked using the one in our temp trailer. and my thinking my just be thrown out the window.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:12 PM   #12

Quote:
Currently unavailable on amazon.ca, but will look closer later. I have to run out for a few hours right now.
Had a quick look, but could not find it currently available in Canada.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:23 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I would GUESS (hope) the UN24H400 (on amazon.ca) would also work on 12V. I cannot find any info online. I would recommend finding a big box store with the model you want and looking at the display model. Hopefully there will be a 120V AC to 12V DC "brick" with cords to a wall plug on one end and a plug for the TV on the other. All of the smaller (not true on larger screen) Samsungs I have seen have a 14V DC brick. Our 12V power is really 12+ to 14+ volts. And my TV works fine on battery power. (I cannot guarantee that any other TV will ...)
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:43 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My last 2 tv's in my Escapes have been Naxa models, had no problems with them.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:45 PM   #15

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
According to the Samsung Canada website there only are two current and legitimate Samsung TVs in Canada under 28" diagonal size... 12V or not. They are the 24" variants of models offered in both 24" and 28": 24" HD Flat TV H4000 Series 4, 24" HD Flat Smart TV H4500 Series 4. The linked 19" unit is old (2013 model).
Edit: I didn't find the 24" model at first (the 28" is shown by the selector tool) but later found it.

Toshiba makes some good televisions. The only model shown by Toshiba Canada in the target size range is the L1400UC, which appears to have a 120V input.

The easiest place to buy a TV might be Costco, because they have a reasonable selection at good prices. On Costco.ca they have three models in the target size range, but it doesn't look like any have 12V power input (but I'm not sure from the website).

Quote:
The only one I have found so far is the Insignia 24" 1080p LED TV (NS-24D510NA17). It kinda paled in image quality compared to the backlit LED models beside it.
I don't doubt that the surrounding models had better image quality, but this Insignia is backlit by LEDs as well... maybe they all are now.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:07 PM   #16

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Had a quick look, but could not find it currently available in Canada.
Also have a little portable DVD player we have hooked up to watch a DVD . The Sony wireless for sound . Still like all the components seperate .If you get Escape to cable wire in dinette area and bed area , you can put your TV where you want . The other day what was posted for TV , having 2 hangers would take care of that . Looks to be what Escape gave us , but that one had 2 hangers . Arms fold up nicely when not in use . Pat ps oven is very nice to have .
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:08 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
I would GUESS (hope) the UN24H400 (on amazon.ca) would also work on 12V. I cannot find any info online.
It's not offered by Amazon.ca, so I assume that you meant Amazon.com (UN24H400).
The included accessories listed do not include a power adapter ("brick"), so my guess would be direct 120V AC input.

I checked Samsung's website: 24" HD Flat TV H4000 Series 4 The owner's manual doesn't mention plugging in an external power supply, and shows a rear panel with what looks like one of the common two-pin AC power cords (not a coaxial or DIN connector as typically used for DC power). Since this model is offered in 28" as well, my guess is that it is too large to follow Samsung's "small TV" power supply design.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:24 PM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The owner's manual doesn't mention plugging in an external power supply, and shows a rear panel with what looks like one of the common two-pin AC power cords (not a coaxial or DIN connector as typically used for DC power). Since this model is offered in 28" as well, my guess is that it is too large to follow Samsung's "small TV" power supply design.
Agreed. This Samsung unit is not going to be 12VDC input. I've had luck with the smaller Insignia 19" model that is 12 volt input and comes with the 120VAC to 12VDC brick. In general the smaller TVs MAY be found with 12VDC input, but the larger ones are most definitely not going to be.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:01 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
This has great viewing angles:

22" RCA 12v LED TV DVD Combo, DECK22DR RoadTrucker

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 04:08 PM   #20

Trailer: 5.0 TA - Sept. 2015, 2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Quote:
Never heard of Naxa before, but that does look like a good unit. Not sure how much the DVD player would be used though. Cost on amazon.com is $299 USD, on amazon.ca it is $558 CAD.

Good to hear your take on the placement and usage. I had thought that maybe the dinette location would get more use, but then you could not see it in bed at all, whereas by the bet it can be viewed in both locations. Hmmmm.....

Yeah, the $299 USD is too much. We paid $197 for the Naxa a year ago, and I thought that was high.
Joe Walsh
Charlie & Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote