Temperary license after factory delivery - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2015, 08:24 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
I talked to an old boy who had a very elaborate motor home when I was down in Kentucky. He stored the motor home, had a house and antique cars in Indiana, however, I noticed his motor home and the Honda pilot he was towing were both running Montana plates. I've noticed Montana plates on a number of big motor homes over the years. Did not ask him about his plates.
Dave

Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:24 PM   #12
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Not sure what ur plans are, but if ur going on the road full-time in the Escape and not going to live in TX going forward you might want to look at what's involved in setting up a domicile in South Dakota which is the friendliest to Full - time Rv'ers.

Not as far a drive if you need to make an appearance to set everything up.
It looks like I might not even have to have the trailer inspected in SD to get it registered.

Trailer

I'll keep doing research and find out if that's the case, and if it is, my wife and I will fly up to SD before picking up the trailer (free with SWRR points) and get that taken care of without having to go through the extra wear and tear on the vehicle.

xyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 08:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by fridaynext View Post
Thanks! We met you at the Bluebonnet rally and your Escape is the one that convinced us to go 19 instead of 21 or 5.0TA.

We're planning to travel the West Coast once we pick up our trailer, but we haven't finalized all our planning of state of residency, mail, etc. Working on all that now, as we won't be coming back to TX once we hitch up the trailer.
Sorry I didn't remember we met. Sometimes my brain ain't what it used to be.

If you are thinking about the plan Greg suggests, Montana is another alternative. You don't need a domicile, just an LLC to register the trailer under. No sales tax, and the tags are cheap. No Vin verification, and they mail you the tags. Plenty of companies in MT that do it. And, since you won't be returning to TX with the trailer, you aren't skirting any laws.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 pulled by a 2010 Highlander Anderson hitch,
Montana

Robert, thanks for the information on Montana. That explains some things for sure.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:23 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
When I was crossing the border from Canada back into the U.S., the officer told me he had never seen a temp license for an imported RV and said it was worthless. I was a bit puzzled, but he was right: it really didn't help us much.

Back in Texas, registering the trailer was a real pain. My first attempt to get plates at the Tax Office BEFORE picking up our trailer failed, and they sent me home to get more paperwork. Thats when I got the temp license. When I got home from our trip I had to tow the RV out to the County Sheriff's office 20 miles outside the city for a VIN inspection. When I returned to the Tax Office the second time the clerk shuffled through the paperwork and said I needed another inspection because the GVWR was over 4000 lbs. I convinced her to use the dry weight numbers and I got my plates.

Its easier to rob a bank.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:25 AM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
You don't need a domicile, just an LLC to register the trailer under. No sales tax, and the tags are cheap. No Vin verification, and they mail you the tags. Plenty of companies in MT that do it. And, since you won't be returning to TX with the trailer, you aren't skirting any laws.
Im wondering if this can be done on Legal Zoom. $150 to file an LLC with the State.
Daubsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:38 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
When I returned to the Tax Office the second time the clerk shuffled through the paperwork and said I needed another inspection because the GVWR was over 4000 lbs. I convinced her to use the dry weight numbers and I got my plates.

Its easier to rob a bank.

You got that right Sean. I lucked out on the VIN inspection because the task force inspection station was only a couple miles from my house.

It's always amazing how different the experience at the DMV can be from one owner to another, when supposedly they are all following the same rules.

Sometimes they make it up as they go along.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:42 PM   #18
xyz

Trailer: nunya
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daubsy View Post
Im wondering if this can be done on Legal Zoom. $150 to file an LLC with the State.
I'm going to try that very thing. I already run my own business, and I've been wanting to set up an LLC anyway. I found this site that explains what they do to get you set up with a MT LLC, so I'm going to see if I can get it done myself for less than the $800 they charge, which they claim is quite competitive for setting this type of thing up.

xyz is offline   Reply With Quote