Temperature - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Temperature

I got this thing about temperature. I always want to know what it is. This has gotten worse since I got my trailer. When in there I need to know it, just like I need to know what the temperature inside the fridge is. Winter or summer, parka or shorts, what’s the temperature outside? I bought one of them AcuRite digital thermometers with the remote sensor but that turned out to be useless. With the remote sensor inside the fridge, the display beside my bed is great, shows how the fridge is doing, but when you switch it, it tells you the temp inside the trailer cabin. I already know that, from my factory heater White Rogers display. If you buy a second one the two sensors confuse each other.

Bought an old world analog thermometer. Taped it to the outside window. The first one didn’t stay stuck there for very long, blew off, evidently sometime during a first trip. Bought a second one and this time did a more serious tape job to the window. Found a plastic box to box it. It is still there, barely, but the tape cuts the light, making it hard to read. There must be a better way.
Attached Thumbnails
Ther-mom.jpg  
Old 01-12-2019, 11:09 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have a wireless model Myron, Accurite that tells me the temperature outside. The sensor is located under the propane cover, on top of one of the propane tank, held in place with butyl tape.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:17 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19'
We have a wireless one, I think ours is accurite too, we have the outdoor sensor inside the front storage box on top of the battery. The inside display is on the kitchen cabinet door. It reads fine, the only thing I don't like is the storage box is somewhat shielded (stays cold or hot longer) so when we are at camp we set the sensor on top of the propane tank cover.
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Well, the addiction to weather info can get worst than just an outside thermometer. This (the thing on the pole on the right) tells me temperature, humidity, wind speed & direction, rainfall, and the inside display tells me the inside temperature & humidity and does a horrible job of predicting tomorrow's weather.

I also have a refrigerator & freezer temperature monitor (SensorPush) that tracks & graphs the temperatures of both over the hour, day, week, month & year, and connects to my phone via bluetooth. It sends an alarm if it goes above a set point. With an additional WiFi Gateway, it sends the info over the internet; useful for tracking the temperature at home. I just might be overdoing it...
Attached Thumbnails
_JRV0847.jpg  
Old 01-12-2019, 11:55 AM   #5

So Acurite also sells thermometers with TWO remote sensors? Mine has one remote (placed inside the fridge), and the other is inside the display for room temps there.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:59 AM   #6

They even make a couple of 3 sensor versions.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Acurite makes a four-sensor model too (3 are add-ons). Indoor/outdoor. Think: refrigerator, freezer, inside, outside: https://www.acurite.com/home-environment-display.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:32 PM   #8

They also make a version designed to use with a refrigerator/freezer.
Old 01-12-2019, 12:44 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
This is the unit I use inside the refer/freezer and another model for the outside....
Old 01-12-2019, 03:34 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
What we have been using for years for refrigerator. pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 07:59 AM   #11

So far like the AcuRite 00986M Refrigerator/Freezer Wireless thermometer, with its two sensors. Can put one in the fridge (don't use freezer) and one outside the trailer, probably in the tongue box. Reasonable price. Horizontal shape - not so much. Reading Amazon reviews does raise an eyebrow about quality of any of these things. Ah, but it is the price of a couple 6-packs...
Old 01-14-2019, 08:43 AM   #12

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
We had the two sensor Acurite in our 17B. Meh. I wanted something that also showed outside temp, so in our 19 we got one of these with three sensors (fridge, freezer, outside zip tied under propane cover) plus main unit has its own sensor for cabin temp
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	36359

Also meh. Don’t like that you have to push a button to scroll through sensors individually, one at a time.

If I were to buy something today I’d get this one. It shows everything at one glance. Ambient Weather WS-10 Wireless Indoor/Outdoor 8-Channel Thermo-Hygrometer with Three Remote Sensors https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FX8ZGOO..._J5jpCbTQVN1YY
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0454.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	36358
Old 01-14-2019, 09:40 AM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
I've tried two different wireless thermometers for the 'fridge. Neither worked adequately for me. We now are back to analog thermometers you have to open the door to look at. Bummer.

For outside temp we use a "look thru the window" suction cup unit. Had an "Acurite" which worked very well. But, sadly, if you forget to take it down before moving it tends to run away. We now have a similar one, "La Crosse" which is solar powered. I think the La Crosse is harder to read but works well. One advantage with the suction cup thermometers is you can move them to what will be a shady window, i.e. north side.

Best we've come up with so far for outside. Your mileage may vary.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Am I ever behind the times. If I want to know what the temperature or whether is like outside, I just go out and check!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes I'm a bit casual about these things. I bought the fridge digital thermometer but i have never used it. I'm not sure i care what the temp is outside if I'm cold i put on a jacket and shoes. i might care more if i camped in the winter....
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 12:40 PM   #16

Trailer: None now
If we are out more than a week or someplace with no pharmacies ( or a Walmart ) nearby I bring extra insulin. So refrigerator operation is very important to me. Having it freeze when a Norcold circuitboard failed while out at a place called Denio Junction NV was quite the experience and I do not plan to repeat it. So mine has a device monitoring against boiler overheating and 2 Sensorpush senders in the fridge compartment. I used to keep one in the freezer but decided I would rather have a backup where it is more important to me. So far these devices have worked fine. If the temperature goes over or under my alarm points my phone lets me know. They do use bluetooth which means I need to be within 50 feet of the fridge. but there is a way to also have them send the data via a wifi gateway to something like a MiFi but so far I have not found a need to do that yet. My home fridge does have that feature in case it ever goes on the blink.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 01:06 PM   #17

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes i can understand that!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 03:20 PM   #18

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
FWIW, I've found using lithium batteries in the fridge keeps the sensors running quite a bit longer then using alkaline.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:46 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Dave, Fox I'm like you as far as outside temperature goes at that moment my body tells me if I'm hot or cold, I will admit cold I notice more as I get older.
I do understand the importance for medical reasons and happy there are things out there that can help monitor temperatures for that reason. I did buy the one that just hangs in the fridge and I do look at it every time I open the door just to be sure the fridge is cooling.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:34 PM   #20

Found this "no-name" refrigerator thermometer with 2 wireless remote sensors. On line, $16.99. Sensor #1 is in the fridge, #2 will be inside the tongue box, and a third sensor is on the wall inside the 3.7" x 4.1" unit - tells trailer cabin temp. Adjustable alarms. No manufacturer listed, Amazon, but nice enough, guess we can guess where it came from. Will last as long as it lasts.
Attached Thumbnails
THERM01.jpg