Testing the integrity of the electrical connection before plugging into the RV - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-30-2018, 10:39 PM   #21
Site Team
 
rbryan4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2018 F150 2.7L Ecoboost
Posts: 9,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
On a somewhat related note, we carry a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter just in case the shoreline pedestal power is fine but the 30 amp outlet happens to be corrupted (https://www.campingworld.com/power-g...-to-30a-female). We've used it once and loaned it out once to a neighboring camper. It's a handy thing to have - just in case.
I've also used the 50 to 30 amp adapter at a site. At one campground they gave us their "prime" site (their words) and once we pulled in we found the 30 amp power didn't work at all. The adapter was an easy solution.
__________________

__________________
"You can't buy happiness, but you can buy an RV. And that is pretty close."
rbryan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:48 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 2,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
On a somewhat related note, we carry a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter just in case the shoreline pedestal power is fine but the 30 amp outlet happens to be corrupted (https://www.campingworld.com/power-g...-to-30a-female). We've used it once and loaned it out once to a neighboring camper. It's a handy thing to have - just in case.
Thanks for the reminder. Found a 12Ē one at Amazon too

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
__________________

rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 11:54 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 2,330
This is a timely thread for me. Just returned from an 8 day trip to Arizona where it currently is in the triple digits. Stayed at a full hookups RV park, 30 amp service. Turned the ac on and it ran for awhile, along with the fridge and the television, then it all shut down. The WFCO breaker for AC clicked off. This scenario continued to repeat itself several times. I switched to a 50 amp connection on the pedestal but that did not help.

The park sent an electrician to check if the problem was at their pedestal. It was not. Then we noticed the display on my Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C surge protector, which I had installed back in 2016, did not show any amps draw from the appliances. This surge protector had always been just fine.

But that was odd, so I decided to disconnect and remove the surge protector - eliminate it as a factor. And...thereís your problem. Everything now good, the AC blasted away, we cooked a meal for 10 minutes in the microwave, etc. Home now, still looking for my receipt from Progressive Industries so I can call them up.
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:17 PM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 10,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
... Stayed at a full hookups RV park, 30 amp service. Turned the ac on and it ran for awhile, along with the fridge and the television, then it all shut down. The WFCO breaker for AC clicked off. This scenario continued to repeat itself several times.
...
The park sent an electrician to check if the problem was at their pedestal. It was not. Then we noticed the display on my Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C surge protector, which I had installed back in 2016, did not show any amps draw from the appliances. This surge protector had always been just fine.

But that was odd, so I decided to disconnect and remove the surge protector - eliminate it as a factor. And...thereís your problem.
It may have been a park power problem, but there is key information missing. Since everything shut off, it was presumably the EMS shutting off, but you don't mention resetting it. There should have been a reason for it to shut off, but you don't mention any condition code - did the voltage go too low, as shown by the EMS?

The air conditioner breaker tripping is interesting, and since I don't see any way that an EMS problem could cause a breaker to trip, it suggests to me that something else was going on.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:32 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
MyronL's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Edgewood, New Mexico
Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Posts: 2,330
Something was going on alright, but this wasn't a park problem. The place has a hundred big boy rigs all around us and no other complaints.

I think the display showed an error message initially but I didn't take good notice of that. In the next hour or so when the power to the fridge on shore power, and the television, and first the AC all on shore power would suddenly cut off there were no error messages. That sequence of breakers tripping happened probably 3-4 times. I re set breakers each time but nothing got resolved. AC would come on, then cut off after a minute, strangely, along with all shore powered appliances. But they checked the pedestal and found it good. Later in the day the breakers stopped clicking off but power to the appliances continued to fail. I opened the surge protector lid and there's a fuse in there but it was good. Nothing in there looked wrong. Must conclude the thing developed a mother board issue. (??)

It wasn't until a discussion with Doug that we decided the surge protector display not indicating amperage-- "00A" is what it read -was a flag, so I decided to physically remove the surge protector. Then, from that on for the remainder of the trip everything worked great.... and with temps in the 102-104įF range, we were very happy to have that AC running.
__________________
Myron
"A billion here, a billion there...add it all up and before you know it you're talking real money." Everett Dirkson
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:31 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: Escape 21 due Dec 2018, formerly Escape 17B 2017
Posts: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Something was going on alright, but this wasn't a park problem. The place has a hundred big boy rigs all around us and no other complaints.

I think the display showed an error message initially but I didn't take good notice of that. In the next hour or so when the power to the fridge on shore power, and the television, and first the AC all on shore power would suddenly cut off there were no error messages. That sequence of breakers tripping happened probably 3-4 times. I re set breakers each time but nothing got resolved. AC would come on, then cut off after a minute, strangely, along with all shore powered appliances. But they checked the pedestal and found it good. Later in the day the breakers stopped clicking off but power to the appliances continued to fail. I opened the surge protector lid and there's a fuse in there but it was good. Nothing in there looked wrong. Must conclude the thing developed a mother board issue. (??)

It wasn't until a discussion with Doug that we decided the surge protector display not indicating amperage-- "00A" is what it read -was a flag, so I decided to physically remove the surge protector. Then, from that on for the remainder of the trip everything worked great.... and with temps in the 102-104įF range, we were very happy to have that AC running.
We had a problem with our surge protector, in fact it had a failure and ended up having a flash inside and caused a searing inside the box. However, I found out that there is a lifetime warranty on EMS surge protectors and you may want to call them and find out if they can send you a new one at their expense. They did for us.
Chris & Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 03:56 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 10,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
In the next hour or so when the power to the fridge on shore power, and the television, and first the AC all on shore power would suddenly cut off there were no error messages. That sequence of breakers tripping happened probably 3-4 times. I re set breakers each time but nothing got resolved. AC would come on, then cut off after a minute, strangely, along with all shore powered appliances.
Can anyone explain how the EMS could cause the appliances to draw so much current that the breakers trip?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Can anyone explain how the EMS could cause the appliances to draw so much current that the breakers trip?
If the EMS was quickly turning on and off the power, the chatter could cause the A/C breaker to trip due to the high starting current of the compressor trying to start multiple times.

Motors ( ie inductive loads like a A/C compressor) will also pull more current when the voltage is low which could cause the breaker to trip. The EMS shouldn't have let the voltage supplied to the trailer get that low before it cut all power so it still points to what may be a faulty EMS unit.
__________________
If It Isnít Perfect, It Isnít Finished
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:04 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Posts: 10,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
If the EMS was quickly turning on and off the power, the chatter could cause the A/C breaker to trip due to the high starting current of the compressor trying to start multiple times.
If the locked rotor current is over 20 amps, I can see that. It doesn't explain the rest of the circuits - none have large motor (or other inductive) loads. It seems like it would also be noticeably abnormal to someone in the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 09:25 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
tdf-texas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Baytown, Texas
Trailer: 2017 21' Escape
Posts: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If the locked rotor current is over 20 amps, I can see that. It doesn't explain the rest of the circuits - none have large motor (or other inductive) loads. It seems like it would also be noticeably abnormal to someone in the trailer.
Just looked it up - Dometic Penquin II locked rotor current - 53 amps
http://www.dyersonline.com/downloadf...tfile_id/3791/

Was the breaker for the A/C the only breaker that was tripping or was there more?
__________________

__________________
If It Isnít Perfect, It Isnít Finished
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.