"Texas Fan" Options - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2015, 07:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
"Texas Fan" Options

Many folks on the Forum have added some type of a fan to vent their refrigerator flues and have reported generally, favorable results. I'd appreciate your thoughts on the merits of solar vs. 12V units as well as the noise level of these fans. I'd like to do this only once, so if anyone knows of a particularly good quality fan, your opinions would be appreciated. After reading the articles some of you have included in your posts, I'm convinced that proper ventilation is the best single thing we can do to maximize the fridge's performance. Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this issue.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 09:25 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Since nobody jumped in I will again.

I have tried a few things including installing a switch in parallel on the factory fan (which is a very noisy fan) to installing aftermarket fans.

The fan made by Valterra is about the easiest to install. I believe it is what ETI uses on the Texas fan option. It is not a high quality fan but for $32 I figure I can replace it if it fails.

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-2...rv+fridge+vent

It can be installed in the lower opening with a few mounting options. It comes with a switch and a temp sensor which I bypassed so I had full control of it. Since I had already bypassed the factory fan and had the fridge removed I installed it near the roof vent. I have found the lower factory fan actually works better which makes no sense to me but have also read in some literature from Dometic to install it lower below the condenser . I have a friend on the forum that ETI had a RV shop install the same fan in the lower opening and it seemed to work Ok but it was a older style 6.7 fridge which seems to have more problems then the 4.3 I have.

I thought about installing one of these solar vent fans but the reviews are bad on them and after looking at it they are kind of ugly so I returned it and I went with the other one. They are much larger then the stock Dometic cover too.

Amazon.com: Camco 42165 Refrigerator Solar Roof Vent System: Automotive

Dometic also makes a couple vent kits. I installed one in our Casita and it was very noisy but did work good.

http://www.dometic.com/QBank/EPiServ....052_17705.pdf

http://www.dometic.com/QBank/EPiServ....003_17713.pdf
Old 05-15-2015, 09:30 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
Since nobody jumped in I will again.

I have tried a few things including installing a switch in parallel on the factory fan (which is a very noisy fan) to installing aftermarket fans.

The fan made by Valterra is about the easiest to install. I believe it is what ETI uses on the Texas fan option. It is not a high quality fan but for $32 I figure I can replace it if it fails.

http://www.amazon.com/Valterra-A10-2...rv+fridge+vent

It can be installed in the lower opening with a few mounting options. It comes with a switch and a temp sensor which I bypassed so I had full control of it. Since I had already bypassed the factory fan and had the fridge removed I installed it near the roof vent. I have found the lower factory fan actually works better which makes no sense to me but have also read in some literature from Dometic to install it lower below the condenser . I have a friend on the forum that ETI had a RV shop install the same fan in the lower opening and it seemed to work Ok but it was a older style 6.7 fridge which seems to have more problems then the 4.3 I have.

I thought about installing one of these solar vent fans but the reviews are bad on them and after looking at it they are kind of ugly so I returned it and I went with the other one. They are much larger then the stock Dometic cover too.

Amazon.com: Camco 42165 Refrigerator Solar Roof Vent System: Automotive

Dometic also makes a couple vent kits. I installed one in our Casita and it was very noisy but did work good.

http://www.dometic.com/QBank/EPiServ....052_17705.pdf

http://www.dometic.com/QBank/EPiServ....003_17713.pdf
Thanks for jumping in, Tom! I was beginning to wonder if I'd been blackballed. . Appreciate the feedback and BTW, the fridge door install was a cinch thanks to your notes and photos!
Old 05-17-2015, 05:51 PM   #4

I was looking through some pictures and found this one of the Camco vent sitting on the Dometic vent to show the size difference.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #5

Got the Valterra fan today. When I took off the canopy, I realizes I was going to have to it the screen in order to mount the fan. Since I didn't have any screen lying around, I replaced the canopy and will tackle the job next weekend. Did you place yours in the flue and if so, did you replace the screen?
Old 05-17-2015, 06:17 PM   #6

Yes I put it in the flue but did it from below when the fridge was removed. You might want to mount it in the lower vent area. It would be a lot easier and my lower fan seems to work better then the one in the flue when running just one of them.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Yes I put it in the flue but did it from below when the fridge was removed. You might want to mount it in the lower vent area. It would be a lot easier and my lower fan seems to work better then the one in the flue.
Who am I to argue with the voice of experience? I was planing on pulling the fridge in order to do the mod Reace posted a while back narrowing the flue anyway. I don't expect miracles from the fridges, but I do want to maximize its' performance. Plus, I have a Canyon Cooler that is dedicated to keeping the beer cold.
Old 05-17-2015, 06:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Who am I to argue with the voice of experience? I was planing on pulling the fridge in order to do the mod Reace posted a while back narrowing the flue anyway. I don't expect miracles from the fridges, but I do want to maximize its' performance. Plus, I have a Canyon Cooler that is dedicated to keeping the beer cold.
In that case it's definitely worth pulling the fridge. Not difficult and well worth it if you take the opportunity to line the f.g. with some reflectix and insulation as well as install a baffle.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:33 PM   #9

If the beer is cold nothing else matters when camping!

If you do the flue mod consider putting the lower part of the baffle at a 45 degree angle. This mod is something I redid a second time because it just was not working good the first time. I did some smoke test to watch the draft and found this to work better. Pulling the fridge became a weekly thing around here last year.

Try the fan before doing the baffles. The working conditions in there are not the best.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-18-2015, 06:33 AM   #10

Quote:
If the beer is cold nothing else matters when camping!

If you do the flue mod consider putting the lower part of the baffle at a 45 degree angle. This mod is something I redid a second time because it just was not working good the first time. I did some smoke test to watch the draft and found this to work better. Pulling the fridge became a weekly thing around here last year.

Try the fan before doing the baffles. The working conditions in there are not the best.
I'll take your advise on the baffle mod, Tom; thanks. I did plan on insulating as well. From your photo, It doesn't look like you installed the luan plywood sheet narrowing the flue as shown in Reace's mod. Did you do that as well?
Old 05-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #11

I insulated the exterior wall with Reflictix and the sides and top of the fridge with R-4 or R-6 fiberglass if I remember correctly. I did use a foil backed insulation.

I don't remember Reace saying to insulate the flue but I cant find those instructions now. This is a picture from what he sent showing the completed baffle and insulation on the sides of Fridge location. I will have to look for a picture of my insulation.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0028.JPG  
Old 05-19-2015, 08:11 AM   #12

Quote:
I insulated the exterior wall with Reflictix and the sides and top of the fridge with R-4 or R-6 fiberglass if I remember correctly. I did use a foil backed insulation.

I don't remember Reace saying to insulate the flue but I cant find those instructions now. This is a picture from what he sent showing the completed baffle and insulation on the sides of Fridge location. I will have to look for a picture of my insulation.
Thanks once again Tom. Don't spend any extra time looking for the pics; I'm starting to over think this project ☺. I'll do Reace's original mod, incorporate your angled bottom baffle, add the Valterra fan, and insulate everywhere I can. The next step will be to get my dear wife to stop holding the fridge door open while she pnders what she wants to make for lunch (lord I hope she never sees this post!).
Old 05-19-2015, 08:38 AM   #13

Trailer: Escape
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...info-4233.html
Old 05-19-2015, 09:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Thanks, Bob! Do you know how to remove the thermistor from the fin? I tugged on mine and it didn't want to let go. Since it's plastic, I figured I'd break it if I muscled it out. BTW, did you replace yours with the "new and improved" thermistor? Any luck?
Old 05-19-2015, 10:21 AM   #15

It should just slide out of the bracket. Hold the top of the bracket and push up on the sensor with your finger and it should slide out.
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender.jpg