The Big Debate - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2016, 07:36 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Traveling South throughout the year, you'll need AC. One of the big wows is having the digital thermostat that controls both heat and AC and your AC fan shuts off when at temp unlike traditional RV systems. Big resale point.
Also, others on the forum have said that the digital thermostat will run the A/C at a slower, quieter speed. This is significant because otherwise the A/C unit is really loud. I'd get the A/C and the factory digital thermostat as well.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 07:59 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
We have only used the AC in our trailer a few times, so like Brian, it has probably cost more than $10.00 per hour. That said, the few times we have used the AC we have been very happy to have it. Amazingly enough, those times were not south of the Mason Dixon line. They were places like Bozeman, MT, Gettysburg, PA and the Dalles, OR. In all those cases I would not have slept well without AC, and was very glad to have it, regardless of the cost. I guess I am getting whimpy in my old age...
Old 04-18-2016, 09:26 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
I recall a trip to Isle Royal where the ferry hop off point was Copper Harbor, temp was 90 and none of the motels had a/c or even ceiling fans.....yikes, long nights! The old adage applies here....better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.....But then again, most of your replies are geographically biased, as they should be!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:25 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
As of right now, we've decided to go without A/C in our 19' for several reasons.

#1. Hauling around (90 lbs?) of weight and extra wind resistance
#2. In 4 previous years of RV ownership, even living in California we only used it 3 times while camping. We almost never have hookups and running an 11K A/C on the generator was doubly loud.
#3. If we are going somewhere we know we will need it, we plan to use an 8K BTU portable unit and vent through one of the sliders (not getting frameless). These portable units are a lot quieter than the roof-mounted RV A/C units, are lighter weight, and can run easily on our Honda 2000 generator when boondocking. 90+ % of the time we won't even bring it.
#4. Save $1,100
#5. Don't really want another hole in the roof. One of our previous RV's had some water intrusion near the A/C in a very strong rain storm.

The big downside for NOT having A/C for us is going to be resale. That is a really valid point and the one thing that may change our minds. We have a while to think about it.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyfree View Post
As of right now, we've decided to go without A/C in our 19' for several reasons.

#1. Hauling around (90 lbs?) of weight and extra wind resistance
#2. In 4 previous years of RV ownership, even living in California we only used it 3 times while camping. We almost never have hookups and running an 11K A/C on the generator was doubly loud.
#3. If we are going somewhere we know we will need it, we plan to use an 8K BTU portable unit and vent through one of the sliders (not getting frameless). These portable units are a lot quieter than the roof-mounted RV A/C units, are lighter weight, and can run easily on our Honda 2000 generator when boondocking. 90+ % of the time we won't even bring it.
#4. Save $1,100
#5. Don't really want another hole in the roof. One of our previous RV's had some water intrusion near the A/C in a very strong rain storm.

The big downside for NOT having A/C for us is going to be resale. That is a really valid point and the one thing that may change our minds. We have a while to think about it.
Lots of really good sound reasoning, except for the last one. The A/C unit does not use a separate opening, instead replaces the ceiling vent.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:04 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Works for us. Takes a very few minutes to set-up. It cost about $89.

I wouldn't even think about the re-sale aspect maybe way down the road. The trailer has the wiring in place and it's no biggie for one to be installed in the future if required by a future owner.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
21-05-2015 4-53-49 PM_0003_resize.jpg   21-05-2015 4-54-18 PM_0004_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 11:53 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Lots of really good sound reasoning, except for the last one. The A/C unit does not use a separate opening, instead replaces the ceiling vent.
OK, thanks ... didn't know that. So without A/C there are 2 ceiling vents and one is the MaxFan, or both are? I spoke with the salespeople at ETI and I got the idea that it was just fiberglass like the rest of the roof. Strange.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:00 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Works for us. Takes a very few minutes to set-up. It cost about $89.

I wouldn't even think about the re-sale aspect maybe way down the road. The trailer has the wiring in place and it's no biggie for one to be installed in the future if required by a future owner.

Ron
I remember this post , very innovative ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
OK, thanks ... didn't know that. So without A/C there are 2 ceiling vents and one is the MaxFan, or both are? I spoke with the salespeople at ETI and I got the idea that it was just fiberglass like the rest of the roof. Strange.
There are two ceiling vents- the Maxxfan is furthest forward and the standard vent with translucent cover and cranks open is mid-ship. A few have gotten two Maxxfans and we considered it but are happy with this setup. This standard vent is the one where an AC would drop in and I found the electrical wire recently when I removed the vent housing to paint the metal screen that had some corrosion. I think the AC ready feature is standard but would double check.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I remember this post , very innovative ! Pat
Thanks, and the cost per hour is pennies because the vast majority of its use has been in the den window at home.

Ron
Old 04-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Thanks, and the cost per hour is pennies because the vast majority of its use has been in the den window at home.

Ron
Guess what Ron from your picture looks like the same one we purchased for bedroom window even though we have a whole house cooler . Have it on right now with everything closed up and it works like a champ . Pat
Old 04-18-2016, 03:03 PM   #32

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
If you're planning to re-sell in a couple of years, or are concerned that there is a significant chance of this due to changing circumstances, then it would make sense to me to buy the air conditioner for the next owner.

If it is going to be a decade down the road, I don't know how much value a decade-old appliance will add... and if it keeps the trailer from selling, you can toss in the cheapest one available on eBay for less money (and paid later) than the new option, and advertise it as including a "brand new air conditioner".

I would equip for my use, not for the next person who might own the trailer.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Have it on right now with everything closed up and it works like a champ . Pat
Are you bragging about your weather. I mean it's warm and sunny and I was out hiking in the woods this morning in a T-shirt but using the a/c now? Maybe in a couple of months.

Ron
Old 04-18-2016, 04:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Are you bragging about your weather. I mean it's warm and sunny and I was out hiking in the woods this morning in a T-shirt but using the a/c now? Maybe in a couple of months.

Ron
Naw! Pat
Old 04-18-2016, 09:17 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
One could go back to ETI, but it isn't necessary because there's nothing specific to Escape about the appliance or its installation (if you have the pre-wiring like Donna). It's a do-it-yourself job if desired, or any RV service shop can handle it.
Quite the contrary, there are many models of Escapes made that state they are air conditioner ready. And they do have the necessary wiring. The problem is many models have been produced over the years that do not have the roof to support air. Specifically, those 19' models before 2011 did not have the roof strength necessary to do an aftermarket a/c. Escape used a fiberglass shroud that fit over the roof to support the air. In this case this is not a do it your self project, perhaps something beyond your local RV shop.

In my experience in selling an Escape without air I found the available buyers were reduced by one half. People do want air, you may not but chances are the next owner will.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:21 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 2016 - 19 ft
Thanks everyone for your advice - very helpful !

Brad & Shelley
Brad & Shelley Dalzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:59 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We never had it in our 19, and there were maybe 6-10 days in over 6 years we would have used it. We survived fine. Cracking a window over our heads when sleeping with the Maxx Fan drawing across our faces, kept us fairly cool.

That said, we are likely going to get it in our 5.0TA, as with it there are more plans into the future to the deeper south, though still would try to do them in the cooler months. i am one of those self described melters.

I believe all Escape trailers are built A/C ready, with a cable run to the vent hole for future powering of the unit. I know my '09 was done that way. I believe it was #12 wire.
Jim, and others in this debate! I did talk to ETI two days ago about whether to get AC or not, and was told that they do build them AC ready, so it can be added later if needed. I will most likely go the no AC route, since I plan to stay north for the summer and go south for the winter.
curru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:15 PM   #38

Trailer: 1997 casita & 5.0 ta July,2016
If you are in Florida in the winter, you'll need AC.
dmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:19 PM   #39

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I had Ten Forward pre-wired for A/C and when the time comes, I can drive to ETI to have it put on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
One could go back to ETI, but it isn't necessary because there's nothing specific to Escape about the appliance or its installation (if you have the pre-wiring like Donna).
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Quite the contrary, there are many models of Escapes made that state they are air conditioner ready. And they do have the necessary wiring. The problem is many models have been produced over the years that do not have the roof to support air. Specifically, those 19' models before 2011 did not have the roof strength necessary to do an aftermarket a/c. Escape used a fiberglass shroud that fit over the roof to support the air. In this case this is not a do it your self project, perhaps something beyond your local RV shop.
Good point about the structure, but for a current buyer who is making the air conditioner decision, this may not be relevant - are there any current Escape models that still require the extra structure? Donna, for instance, has a 5.0TA which I believe is truly ready for an air conditioner... with the standard structure and the wiring which she had the foresight to have factory-installed.

I don't know what about the shroud (required for models without the cored roof structure) would require any special expertise for installation... maybe bonding it in place?

I see that "air conditioner ready" (or anything like that) is currently not even listed as an option for any model. I only searched for a few minutes, but the only reference I could find in this forum to buying an Escape "A/C ready" and later installing the appliance was Myron's DIY installation in a 2013 Escape 19'... in which no structural work was required.

This is the only one I found explicitly saying whether structure is required in addition to wiring (referring to a 17' in 2011):
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBaranyai View Post
I won't be getting air conditioning but thought I'd get it framed in ("air ready") so it could be added later if desired.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 08:08 AM   #40

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Just my two cents worth, we have hardly used the AC in the two years we've had the trailer, even in TX and AZ but that was in the winter. Where it was really great was last year's Manitoba rally, very hot weather, most were small trailers in non-electrical sites. Our Escape was very popular with visitors during the trailer tour. It's strange they would come in and not want to leave

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote