The refrigerator @ 104 in the shade. - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
Thanks to all that have responded. I have given this issue a lot of thought long before taking delivery of our Escape. We are both working till year's end...so high elevation adventure to escape Texas heat is not possible yet. One other thought was to install a larger upper vent. I have never liked removing a bunch of screws to get access anyway. More insulation and maybe another fan too.
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have had the opposite situation happen to me, in that when using the fridge when temps are below freezing, it is tough to keep the contents from freezing, even on the lowest setting. We have often just turned it off for a while to remedy this.
The other problem when it is cold outside is that because the unit needs to run so little (if at all) to keep the refrigerator section cool, the freezer section thaws out. This is an effect of the outside venting, not of the absorption cycle design.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #23

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
We have just returned from 4 weeks on the road, mostly in CA with temps running for 4 days in Oroville at 104 and then 111 when we drove into Paso Robles and continued highs at or above 100. We were also in the 90's in Sacramento. I have to say I am EXTREMELY please with our 3 way 3.0 Dometic fridge. We did not travel with the fridge on but we did put a box of ice in the bottom before each travel day. We probably averaged 4 to 5 hours on travel days and the ice kept things cool and was still ice on arrival. When hooked up, both the electric and the gas kept stuff in the freezer frozen and the rest cool. We dry camped for a total of 6 days. Now, however, we took possession of our 15B in April and Reace had already started moving the top vent to the very top of the trailer and making it larger. Also, when I removed the control panel I found that there was more then 3 inches of open space above and a lesser amount to the side of the fridge. The Dometic install manual suggests that air flow above the fridge should be minimized. Before the trip, I filled that space with glass insulation and also sealed the area with foil tape. As to the milk spoilage, we now carry individual Horizon Organic milk cartons that need NO refrigeration until opened. They have a shelf life of several months and the milk tastes great also. We used these for years before we had a "fancy" fridge and freezer. We couldn't have asked for better performance under such harsh conditions.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I think the block of ice is a good idea. On our recent trip across there, we finally resorted to putting a bag of ice on the bottom shelf, allowing it to drip into the vegetable drawer (6.7 cu ft fridge).
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote