The “Slippery Slope” of the 5.0 TA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2018, 04:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
The “Slippery Slope” of the 5.0 TA

Soon afte we took delivery of our 5.0, we realized that installing a grab handle at the corner of the wardrobe (see photo) was a good idea to ensure a safe descent down he stairs from the loft. It’s saved us both from a bumpy ride down the short flight of stairs several times. However, there is another contributing factor to such unfortunate missteps - the poly carpeting on the stair treds. We find it very slippery dry or damp and it’s caused as many issues as our declining sense of balance (or wine consumption levels) have caused. Have any 5.0 owners replaced their stair treds with a less slippery covering? Appreciate hearing your thoughts, thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
A7CAC001-77CA-44BB-A703-B23923C3D236.jpg  
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i agree haven't fallen yet but they are slippery. i don't have a handle but looks like good idea!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 05:18 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When contemplating a new 5.0 I asked Reace if he could install a rail or grab bar to assist on the steps and he said it could be done. The handle picture appears to be pointing to the front of the bed? Why not put another one on the other corner face to assist going down? There should be a stud there for support.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
When contemplating a new 5.0 I asked Reace if he could install a rail or grab bar to assist on the steps and he said it could be done. The handle picture appears to be pointing to the front of the bed? Why not put another one on the other corner face to assist going down? There should be a stud there for support.
II didn’t put another handle on the driver’s side because the stairs are centered, offset by the wardrobe/bath on the passenger side and the over/under cabinets on the driver side. It’s east to grab from either side.
Old 07-20-2018, 06:59 PM   #5

I did not mean on the opposite side of the trailer but the other side of that wall where the first one was, does that not head down the steps?
Old 07-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I had Escape throw some carpet in loose and not put it on the stairs as I was rebuilding them anyway. My thought was it would match the loft where I did have them install it. Well, you can't really see the carpet in the loft, so I should have gone with a better quality carpet, one that matched my decor better. Something I will do some time in the future.

Neither of us finds the carpet at all slippery though.

A handrail is another plan for sometime into the future.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 11:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I did not mean on the opposite side of the trailer but the other side of that wall where the first one was, does that not head down the steps?
Sorry, Jim. We can hold onto the one handle while standing on the floor or sitting at the foot of the bed so that’s all we seem to need.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 F250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Soon afte we took delivery of our 5.0, we realized that installing a grab handle at the corner of the wardrobe (see photo) was a good idea to ensure a safe descent down he stairs from the loft. It’s saved us both from a bumpy ride down the short flight of stairs several times. However, there is another contributing factor to such unfortunate missteps - the poly carpeting on the stair treds. We find it very slippery dry or damp and it’s caused as many issues as our declining sense of balance (or wine consumption levels) have caused. Have any 5.0 owners replaced their stair treds with a less slippery covering? Appreciate hearing your thoughts, thanks.
Did you or any one else find a solution to the carpet. I am having trouble finding other threads that deal with the carpet problem.
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:31 PM   #9

Someone has to be the first, if it were mine, I'd definitely change the stair covering to something that is not slippery.
Old 09-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Like the grab-rail notions - thanks for that.

Build-sheet "carpet delete on the stairs" with local purchase to suit is my plan. That to facilitate the DIY '3rd step hinge / storage mod' a bit easier and to suit my aesthetic preference for the carpet. Thanks for the heads-up to consider 'traction', too.

For after-purchase I'd just head to the local carpet stores and check-out the remnants stock. Break out the staple gun and Bob's-yer-uncle
Old 09-29-2020, 04:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
They are a little slippery. We have the extra handle too but have not installed it yet.

I have almost missed the bottom step a few times where it has the 45° cut.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:22 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
They are a little slippery. We have the extra handle too but have not installed it yet.

I have almost missed the bottom step a few times where it has the 45° cut.
I guess that is why I increased the length of the lower step. I knew from the first second I saw the stock step it was a hazard. Installing handles is well worth the effort. One on either side at the top of the stairs and one on the bathroom wall.
Old 09-29-2020, 04:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
These are my stairs after the modification to open up the top stair. You can see I also extended the bottom stair about 5". I really like the extended step, much harder to miss on the way down, and does not interfere with getting in or out of trailer. Even with the counter extension down.
Attached Thumbnails
20200426_151805a.jpg   20200426_151857a.jpg  
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:41 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Get a handle on it!!!

Hi" All... I'm thinking I don't drink enough to need them, but I do make several trips to the loo during the night. Haven't had a fall yet but there's always a first time!!! Alf
escape artist N.S, of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:54 PM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I found some nice Teak grab rails at West Marine that I installed. Really helps to have a way to steady oneself on the way up or down. the driver's side is mounted to the framing member at the edge of the bathroom wall. The passenger side is mounted to the framing stud above the shelf next to the stairs.
Attached Thumbnails
E65EA088-E6CF-4FA8-80A7-0D8153B95203.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 04:55 PM   #16
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
After adding an optional grab handle to the drivers side A pillar on my Tundra, after an almost from the floor board. It took a while to get used to it, but it's now a habit that I use nearly every day.

Just like a grab handle would be as one uses the stairs in a 5.0. After a few habit forming trips, the reduced risk of falling and hurting your pride and/or bones is worth the original effort.

I don't own a 5.0, but I've fallen too often from missteps off ladders, so mitigating risks have been pounded into my head.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:01 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Adding a grab rail and extending the bottom step in my trailer have greatly increased the safety of the stairs. I still have to trim out the step in oak. The picture makes it seem that the extended step greatly obstructs the door entrance. Really it’s only a slight difference. No bruised shins or stubbed toes as some have suggested on previous posts!! These changes were a bit like closing the barn door!!! Elaine’s ankle has healed nicely!
Attached Thumbnails
steps.jpg  
Mark&Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:26 AM   #18

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We had the bath wall along the steps reinforced and added a handrail there, we find it very helpful coming down during the night. We also added a smaller handhold at the top as others have done.
Attached Thumbnails
Handrails.jpg  
Old 09-30-2020, 07:11 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA/2022 Ram Hemi
New carpet

I replaced the carpet while doing the step storage reconfiguration last summer, 2019. That leftover remnant came in useful when I started the project and has virtually eliminated the slipperiness of the stairs. It's a low pile carpet is all I can recall about the type.
Attached Thumbnails
20191120_151031.jpg   20191120_150950.jpg   20191120_150928.jpg   20191120_151001.jpg  
waltkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:11 PM   #20

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Beautiful job. Now I want this.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote