thermal windows in 5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 5.0
thermal windows in 5.0

Hi!

Our 5.0 is being built in May. We ordered the thermal windows and extra insulation. We have too choose between non-opening thermal windows in the sleeping area, or single pane windows that open.

I think we want the thermal windows to avoid condensation but we are worried about it getting to hot up there in the summer. We plan to camp mostly in parks without power, so the airconditoner won't be an option.

Can anyone offer us some insights?

Thanks, Sharon.
shrncnddck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: thermal windows in 5.0

Hi: shrncnddck... I believe there is a roof vent avail. for over the bed. It would only be 3-4 ft. away from the MaxxFan vent. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
019A.JPG  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 05:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA

I'm having one built for April with the thermal windows as well and had the same dilemma. Reace mentioned that if you open the roof vent over the bed and then a window on the dinette area of the trailer that one can immediately feel a breeze going through the trailer so I opted for thermal in the sleeping area as well. He also said that the sleeping area is where you really need the thermal windows the most. He did caution me that the frames will still sweat as they are aluminum.

Hope that helps.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA

Sharon,

At least of couple of us have opted for standard windows in the loft and thermo windows everywhere else. $200 off the option. My thinking is down south air conditioning is almost a must with heat and humidity. And we have the option of cross breeze with open loft windows and maybe the MaxxFan on those cooler days and nights. A surprise rain with the roof open above you while asleep would be a problem. The heavest window condensation occurrs when the furnace is on. Having owned a Casita, I soon gave it little thought. I question running the MaxxFan all night while boondocking.

David
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies!

Escape Artist, thanks for posting the picture. The vent looks large enough to make a difference!

Barry, that makes sense. I'm most concerned about condensation, especially while sleeping.

David, you also make a good point! Hmmmm, not an easy decison...

Do all of the other thermal windows open?

Sharon
Old 03-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi:shrncnddck... You're welcome. I believe it's 14X22 and would only be required to be cracked open slightly. As for condensation we have neither thermal windows nor double insulation nor the new vent o'er the bed. They weren't avail. back in '07. If the windows fog up a quick wipe with our shower wiper, an (imitation chamois) is all thats required, kept in a Ziploc bag as they work better damp.
We do however use the MaxxFan almost constantly to exhaust the air. I wouldn't have a trailer without one!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #7

Thanks to all for the input!

We've decided to stick with the thermal windows and take our chances with the overhead vent.

This whole experience is like a restaurant menu with too many choices... I can never make up my mind!

Sharon
Old 03-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrncnddck
This whole experience is like a restaurant menu with too many choices... I can never make up my mind!

Sharon
Sounds like you're getting the full meal deal to me! Best of luck, I personally think you've made good choices.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:20 PM   #9

I like the thermal windows and full insulation in our 19. When we sleep at night we run the ceiling fan on low to remove the moisture which keeps the windows clear. Get the extra tail lights up high for rear safety.
Chuck
Old 03-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA

Hi Sharon,

In my opinion your first good decision was settling on the Escape 5.0. Try not to get stressed over the build. Many have and or will experience apprehension over so many color and option choices. Personal taste and lightweight simplicity rules. Enjoy your rig built just for you. :-)

David
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #11

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA

It seems that the decision to get all the windows thermal is the right one. Check out reply #8 on this thread, http://escapeforum.org/index.php?topic=1697.0 This is a 5.0 and he got all thermal except the upper ones and finds that they are the only ones that fog up.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Hi Sharon,
Yes, yes...get the thermal. Reace is right, of course, it's the place you definitely need it because you sleep close to those windows...and they are either radiating heat or cold (and would be sweating all over you if you didn't)!
The overhead vent (which I wish we had) would be GREAT!!!! We have sliding thermal windows in the upper compartment, but they open down near our knees, and it's difficult to move air (naturally) in the upper bed....the overhead vent would be great for sure!!!! And I'm sure it's designed so you can leave it open partially and not get rain in.
Have fun....we love our 5.0!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21'

Hi Sharon,
We picked up our 5.0 last July. We have the single pane, opening windows in the bedroom area and double insulation. We both like fresh air when it's warmer out and prefer the side windows. The overhead is fine as long as it's not summer solstice in Alaska, which is too bright to leave the overhead open (we have a cover to keep light out as well). Rain is a problem. You cannot leave the overhead open in the rain. The opening windows are great. We wouldn't do it any other way. The condensation is minimal.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 AM   #14

Thanks again for all the good advice! Our biggest concern is condensation, so we elected to get the thermal windows.

I'm really looking forward to picking it up in June!

Sharon.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21'

Sharon,

You will be happy no matter how you order your 5.0. Keep in mind that the trailer is not air tight. You will get condensation on occasion even with double pane windows. The only other opening windows are the side windows by the dinette. Good luck and have fun.

Vicki
Old 03-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #16

On my 19.6 Escape I ordered the thermal windows and the complete insulation Pkg. We use the Max fan on low when we are in the trailer even sleeping it helps keep the moisture out of the trailer. After a shower we set the fan on high opening the shower door all the steam and moisture goes out of the trailer via the fan.
Have fun and enjoy your new trailer because no one builds a better trailer. I can say that because I have owned 6 Bigfoot trailers.
Chuck