Thermostat switched from AC to Furnace by itself - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #1
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Thermostat switched from AC to Furnace by itself

We left the TT with AC on for a few weeks and came back to find the AC setting had switched by itself to Furnace mode be itself. Has anyone else experienced this?
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 01:19 PM   #2

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
I've had mine do what I considered weird things. I had to fiddle with the temperature settings to make sure the furnace didn't kick on. As well as the other way around. I realized one day that it was getting awfully warm in the trailer - turns out the furnace had kicked on. Ack! I also had to fiddle with the setting (auto, low, high). I've had to do this more than once, due to the furnace coming on.

Unfortunately I don't remember exactly where I put each one at. If you're in the trailer at the time, you'll need to just fiddle with the thermostat until you figure it out. I should have written down what all I had to do, as I'd also have the a/c kick off when I thought it still should have been running.

Not exactly the answer you're looking for, but at least you know you're not alone regarding this situation.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:19 PM   #3
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Yes, i'm glad i'm not crazy... our thermostat (besides being inaccurate to about 4 or 5 degrees higher) was turning on furnace too.

Is it easy to replace this thermostat? Does any household one work in RV?
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 04:35 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
Yes, i'm glad i'm not crazy... our thermostat (besides being inaccurate to about 4 or 5 degrees higher) was turning on furnace too.

Is it easy to replace this thermostat? Does any household one work in RV?
Mercury thermostats such as the Honeywell T87 are more accurate (1 1/2 deg variation from set point ) but require the thermostat to be level and the anticipation set properly in order to to be accurate
Bimetallic thermostats often used in RV are not extremely accurate ( 3 to 5 deg drift ) but they don’t have be level and are relatively inexpensive
Digital electronic thermostats are very accurate and do not have to be level but they are more expensive
Line voltage thermostats are thr least accurate and drift 4 to 5 degrees either side of set point .

Thermostats are easy to change just follow the wiring color code
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:01 PM   #5

Trailer: none
So the Escapes have a single thermostat to control AC and heat, then?
Old 07-30-2018, 05:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
So the Escapes have a single thermostat to control AC and heat, then?
I went thru this. If I recall correctly I was advised to make sure that the temp settings on the thermostat had an adequate gap between them. If using a/c set the heat temp up high and if using furnace set the air temp down low and see what happens. I think I was advised to have the fan set on Auto rather than Hi or Lo also. Haven't had any problems since.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
the thermostat on my 2014 E21 just controls the furnace. the A/C has its own control knobs on the A/C
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
the thermostat controls both air and heat on my unit
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:49 PM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you got the digital thermostat then the one control does both. If you did not order it then you have separate controls.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:50 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have yet to have issue with mine. I find the temperature on it to be quite accurate, easily within 1°C.

It is a bit of a pain using it where it is, but is likely in the best place for effectiveness. I put the one for my electric heater near it too, and it is much easier to read at an angle than the Dometic one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 05:53 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think you have to take it off "auto" where it switches depending on temperature setting, once it cools down, the heat come on, once it heats up, the a/c comes on. Make a bigger swing gap via hi/lo and switch off auto mode.
Old 07-30-2018, 05:59 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
If you got the digital thermostat then the one control does both. If you did not order it then you have separate controls.
ah. I indeed have an analog thermostat. on/off switch on top, temp lever on the bottom, period.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:50 PM   #13

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
I went thru this. If I recall correctly I was advised to make sure that the temp settings on the thermostat had an adequate gap between them. If using a/c set the heat temp up high and if using furnace set the air temp down low and see what happens. I think I was advised to have the fan set on Auto rather than Hi or Lo also. Haven't had any problems since.

This sounds like what I ended up doing. I now remember getting info on it from this forum after I asked about the same question some time ago. However, I will put it on low some times as it's (the a/c) is so much noisier on high. So much so, that I can't sleep through it, so when it's hot out, I about freeze myself with the a/c on high and set to a very low temperature (hey, that's why I made a jazillion fleece blankets, right? ). I turn it off and go to bed with a fan on the kitchen counter and/or the flip up counter at the foot of the bed (we have an extended cabinet there). Which ensures I get at appx 5 hours of solid sleep before I wake up sweating away. I'd get up, turn the a/c on low and then get some restless sleep while the trailer cooled off for another hour or so.

Yeah, I know - many of you can sleep through it, but not all of us. (Can't sleep with earplugs)
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 5.0TA (July 19, 2017)
Hi - we have a 2017 5.0TA with the digital thermostat. Whenever the heat or AC hits the temperature set in the thermostat, there's a series of "clicks" (coming from the AC unit?) that seems to indicate a signal being sent to the furnace or AC (as applicable) to shut them down.
This clicking is very annoying to us. Does yours make the clicking noise every time the AC or furnace cycles on or off? We also wish there was a way to set the AC at low where it would just stay on and not have the constant (loud) cycling on and off. Is there a manual mode to operate the AC separately?
Thanks for any information.
John
LatLongJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #15

What's the 2017 use for a thermostat? Got a picture or model?
Old 12-16-2018, 10:02 AM   #16

J&J, check out the new downloaded manuals in the files section here on the forum.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:25 AM   #17

Try this
Old 12-16-2018, 10:37 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Doesn’t it seem strange that we don’t encounter these heating, cooling , thermostat , fan issues in our homes ?
When I set my home tstat to cool the A/C and the fan turn on
When I set my home tstat to heat the furnace and the fan turn on
When I set the fan switch on my home Tstat to auto the fan cycles with the furnace or the A/C
When I set the fan control on my home Tstat to on the fan runs continually.

Never have I had both the furnace and A/C come on at the same time
Never have I had the furnace turn on then cycle off and the A/C immediately start up.
Why ? because your home system is designed to prevent these issues .
The problem lies IMHO in the poorly designed Dometic thermostat / heating & cooling controls and not so much with operator error
The Dometic Tstat is not intuitive or is it user friendly
The back lighting on my Dometic Tstat is so poor I need a flashlight in order to read the screen .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
I have the digital thermostat and have not had any issues. the biggest issue most folks have is inadvertently taking the thermostat off "Auto" which causes the AC and furnace fans to run at the same time. I myself inadvertently did this and now know to make sure it stays on "Auto".

As Jim stated the position of the thermostat at least on the 5.0 is not in best location for viewing and operating, but likely the best location to prevent wide temperature swings.

As a previous Casita owner one of the first things I did was replace the analog thermostat with a Hunter Just Right digital thermostat with remote control.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:47 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The problem lies IMHO in the poorly designed Dometic thermostat / heating & cooling controls and not so much with operator error
The Dometic Tstat is not intuitive or is it user friendly
The back lighting on my Dometic Tstat is so poor I need a flashlight in order to read the screen .

I agree, they are junk. I have the old digital style and it does strange things on occasion.