Tire Pressure Monitor Systems - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other

Old 12-06-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Tire Pressure Monitor Systems

Installing one on my 21 that I had on my Casita, and searches here didn't show much angst from owners on blowouts, flats, etc. Thought I might see a difference between single and dual axle owners, but nope. Just wondering why not..........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I had a tire go down in '11 on my 19, didn't notice it was going flat until it was toast. Pretty sure it was due to a crappy (i.e., Chinese) rubber valve stem failure. I bought a Tire Traker TPMS. I've had a monitor and one sensor go bad, and they were good about replacing them under warranty. For some reason, the new monitor wouldn't work over 3' away, they finally gave me a signal booster. Now the system works.

I think having a tire start to go on a dual axle trailer is much harder to recognize than on a single axle. I'm glad I got the TPMS (and steel valve stems), even though I've had no problems since. Peace of mind.

Bruce

Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray View Post
I had a tire go down in '11 on my 19, didn't notice it was going flat until it was toast. Pretty sure it was due to a crappy (i.e., Chinese) rubber valve stem failure. I bought a Tire Traker TPMS. I've had a monitor and one sensor go bad, and they were good about replacing them under warranty. For some reason, the new monitor wouldn't work over 3' away, they finally gave me a signal booster. Now the system works.

I think having a tire start to go on a dual axle trailer is much harder to recognize than on a single axle. I'm glad I got the TPMS (and steel valve stems), even though I've had no problems since. Peace of mind.

Bruce
Exactly my thoughts! Although I set the low tire pressure alarm too tight and when it got cold the system said ALL my tires were going flat.....

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 12-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19'
I had the Dill TPMS on our Casita and purchased another when we got the Escape.

Trailer TPMS
Old 12-06-2014, 10:35 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A - "The Pullman"
Part of my "pre-flight" whenever I get gas on a trip is to walk around the vehicle, look at and feel each tire. If one feels different, or is a different temperature than its mate on the other side, I try to find the reason. Checking pressures is one part.
Old 12-06-2014, 11:03 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Part of my "pre-flight" whenever I get gas on a trip is to walk around the vehicle, look at and feel each tire. If one feels different, or is a different temperature than its mate on the other side, I try to find the reason. Checking pressures is one part.
Agreed, that's why I have the system. Monitors both pressure and tire temp.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 12-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Agreed, that's why I have the system. Monitors both pressure and tire temp.
And, it allows you to monitor tire conditions between stops when you are moving along the road. A tire problem when stopped is not likely to cause any problems or be costly above and beyond the price of a replacement tire; when moving in traffic at speed it's a different story.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Tire pressure monitoring systems make sense, because tire pressure is important and there are a lot of tires to keep track of. On the other hand, the world drove pneumatic-tired vehicles for about a century before these systems became common, and we seemed to manage. The systems became factory equipment on cars for two reasons:
  • low-profile radial tires don't visually show pressure change as obviously as old bias-ply tires; and,
  • vehicles with run-flat tires need a way to tell the driver to stop, even though the tire may be working adequately.
Trailers still have high-profile tires (although at least many - including all Escapes - are radial), and none of them are run-flats. A monitoring system would be useful, but I think life without one is quite manageable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
... searches here didn't show much angst from owners on blowouts, flats, etc. Thought I might see a difference between single and dual axle owners, but nope. Just wondering why not..........
Tandem-axle fans will often state that tandem axles are needed for redundancy, because the failure of the single tire on one side of the trailer would obviously be a catastrophe. Single-axle owners who have had a tire failure consistently report that controlling the trailer when the tire failed was not a problem.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 02:01 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
For a number of years I have carried a "tire checker" of this design. It is also billed as a fish thumper and I believe you can find other uses for it as well. Most truck stops carry them. A side benefit is by thumping each tire you do a visual exam at the same time. Finally it generates a great deal of satisfaction to thump the tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (14.4 KB, 9 views)
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19'
Yeah but a TPMS is another one of those cool gadgets that modern technology has brought us like a GPS that make life easier and more fun. Unlike a TPMS on a car, a trailer one has both temperture and pressure readout for all your tires. It also has a alarm if you have a pressure loss so you don't have to mess with it going down the road and you know instantly if you have a problem before a tire comes apart and tears up your trailer. Peace of mind for me.