To Dump Or Not Dump - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2015, 11:10 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I have been in RV parks that have full hookups, including sewer, and also have a dump station that they charge to use. Once again I don't quite get it. I guess the dump station could be intended for people passing through, and not camped at the site.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 11:26 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
This park ( Qualicum First Nation ) doesn't have full hookups. Just power and water, and a dump station. If you aren't staying here it costs $30 to use the sani-dump ( my site is $35 all in ).
Old 08-22-2015, 01:34 AM   #23

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
I use
Sanidumps: About Sanidumps.com
to find the closest and sometimes free sanidump.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:56 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
As I've mentioned before when this question arises, leaving either dump valve open means that you are venting the campground sewer system through your waste tanks and vents. There are no traps between the sewer system and your tank vents on top of your Escape. And of course every time you open the flusher on your toilet, well, you get the idea. I'd rather it vent somewhere else!
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:04 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
As I've mentioned before when this question arises, leaving either dump valve open means that you are venting the campground sewer system through your waste tanks and vents. There are no traps between the sewer system and your tank vents on top of your Escape. And of course every time you open the flusher on your toilet, well, you get the idea. I'd rather it vent somewhere else!
In addition your tanks have vents, those evil smells will find a way out, keep your valves shut, for a fresher campsite.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:39 PM   #26

Trailer: 19ft
Read a post from "Wheeling It" about putting in 1 cup of Dawn Soap and 1cut
of Calgon water softener. We used half because of the smaller tank size. Does it ever work, it's so slippery nothing can stick.. Smells not an issue.....
Norseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 06:50 PM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
Read a post from "Wheeling It" about putting in 1 cup of Dawn Soap and 1cut
of Calgon water softener. We used half because of the smaller tank size. Does it ever work, it's so slippery nothing can stick.. Smells not an issue.....
That is the "Geo Method," and it can be Googled for a complete explanation and instructions. I do not put chemicals in my tank, I use the Geo Method. I know at least one other member of the forum who also does. I do not have a problem with odors, but we do not put solids in, only liquids. And I went 6 weeks without dumping it and still had no odors.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #28

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I tried the Geo method this summer, after 3 tanks/flushes we've not noticed any improvement in the smell or the bad readings on the holding tanks. Added some bleach to the gray the other day just to see if it helps, darn thing smells almost as bad as the black, and we hardly use it.

Think I'll try some Happy Campers next.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:11 PM   #29

Trailer: 2015 17B Sold 5/2016
I've been using the Geo Method since the trailer was new in February so it's too soon to know if keep the sensors clean. Seldom are any solids in the black tank but there are times when it simply can't be helped. So far there haven't been any odors. I do like the idea of not using chemicals.
2012 4Runner
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:17 PM   #30

Every part of this earth is made of chemicals. Geo method is chemicals.
I think the problem is usually chunks of TP getting hung up on the sensor probe.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
^^ thats why I dont really pay attention to the gauge much...more the days that pass.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:30 PM   #32

Years ago, Omni magazine did a photo feature. Beautiful photographs of broccoli, eggs and such natural foods, with the list of the chemical components that they are made of.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:37 PM   #33

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Every part of this earth is made of chemicals. Geo method is chemicals.
I think the problem is usually chunks of TP getting hung up on the sensor probe.
We use the geo method and it has worked quite well for us . We have encountered campgrounds that will not allow you to use their dump station if you have added commercial chemical treatments to your holding tanks . I asked why the ban on chemically treated waste and was told that the chemically treated waste had to be treated in a different manner than nontreated waste and was more costly to dispose of.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 09:55 PM   #34

Peculiar. Given that poop itself consists of chemicals.
I'm curious how they assess the contents of the black tank so that they can ban "chemicals".
Old 08-30-2015, 10:20 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm curious how they assess the contents of the black tank so that they can ban "chemicals".
Or, even if they could tell what is in the black tank effluent, how they would decide that sodium citrate, carbonic acid, salt, detergent, and chlorine bleach are not chemicals, while other chemicals are chemicals.

Some black tank treatments contain formaldehyde. If that is specifically what people are concerned about, I wish they would just say so.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 10:56 PM   #36

Salt? I think you mean sodium chloride ( NaCl ).
Bleach? You mean, Sodium hypochlorite is a chemical compound with the formula NaClO. It is composed of a sodium cation (Na
+
) and a hypochlorite anion (ClO

); it may also be viewed as the sodium salt of hypochlorous acid. When dissolved in water it is commonly known as bleach, or liquid bleach.[1] Sodium hypochlorite is practically and chemically distinct from chlorine.[2] Sodium hypochlorite is frequently used as a disinfectant or a bleaching agent.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:29 AM   #37

Yeah, I was going to expand them all, but the detergent ingredient list is just way too long...
Old 08-31-2015, 10:28 AM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The answer I was given by the campground owners was that when they had their septic tanks
pumped ,if the tank contained holding tank chemicals the cost was $300 if the tank did not contain holding tank chemicals the cost was $125 .The price difference was due to legally required disposal methods . There was also a fine levied by the state if they improperly disposed of the waste .There were NO dump station guards at the dump station just large signs informing you that if you use commercial holding tank chemicals ,you were not to dump.
The people who own the campgrounds get to set the rules on their property.
I was told Biodegradable soaps or Ridex were not an issue.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 10:16 PM   #39

There's the key: "commercial holding tank chemicals" are banned and "Biodegradable soaps or Ridex were not an issue". This means:
  • the camper is expected to understand what was used and is trusted to act accordingly
  • one assumption seems to be that "commercial holding tank chemicals" contain some specific undesirable chemicals (probably formaldehydes), but this is not true... and which chemicals is not specified
  • another assumption is that whatever else you dump in is okay, which is also not necessarily true (the consumer can buy nasty and inappropriate stuff and some web page will tell them to dump it in)
  • although the ban is on "commercial holding tank chemicals", non-biodegradable soaps are apparently a problem, too... but not banned?
Again, if the agency handling the waste says something makes it more expensive, they should what that is... and something meaningful like "formaldehyde" would be a lot more useful than some vague comment about "commercial holding tank chemicals".

There are commercial holding tank chemical mixtures which contain formaldehyde, and they are probably the sort of thing they are trying to avoid. There are also commercially produced and distributed chemical mixture for treating holding tanks which contain nothing which would require special waste treatment. The "Geo method" stuff is a mixture of chemical mixtures, each of which is commercially produced but not intended for holding tanks, and might be a concern.
Old 09-02-2015, 06:04 AM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
The answer I was given by the campground owners was that when they had their septic tanks
pumped ,if the tank contained holding tank chemicals the cost was $300 if the tank did not contain holding tank chemicals the cost was $125 .The price difference was due to legally required disposal methods . There was also a fine levied by the state if they improperly disposed of the waste .There were NO dump station guards at the dump station just large signs informing you that if you use commercial holding tank chemicals ,you were not to dump.
The people who own the campgrounds get to set the rules on their property.
I was told Biodegradable soaps or Ridex were not an issue.
This really sounds like a crock (pun intended) to me. Having worked with water/wastewater utility systems for much of my working career, I can say with 100% certainty that the inflow into waste water treatment plants often contains far more hazardous/dangerous chemicals than those put in RV holding tanks. Septic tank pumpers haul their loads to the waste water treatment plant and the contents are merged with what is flowing into the plant from the sanitary sewer system. When the WWTP gets inundated with a large plug of chemicals that affect the microorganisms breaking down the organic matter, it is called an "upset." The amount of holding tank chemical coming into the plant from a septic pumper is nowhere enough to cause an upset, given the huge quantities being collected from all the sources of waste water. Last I knew, WWTP workers were not chemically analyzing the contents of honey wagons before allowing them to dump. Maybe that has changed, but I doubt it. And proper disposal of waste means that it undergoes treatment; it cannot just be dumped on the ground in some remote location or on hay fields.