Toaster/Convection Oven? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-07-2016, 09:47 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
emers382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Emerson, Manitoba
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0, 2015 F150 2.7EB
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Thanks Adrian. I could use some "heating up the trailer" right now. Mesa, AZ: 40's, 50's, rain.
My friend belongs to Costco so we may be going back there.
Speaking of toast, I've been holding the bread over the flame on the stove top. Have t'work with whatcha have.
Yes I know Ellen how poor the weather has been down there. Like Jon V has said until recently temps especially at night have been warmer at his house in NY than at Quartzite. Hopefully things will change by mid Feb in Mesa since we shall be there then. Heading out of this frozen north in 11 days, two weeks with our daughter in KS, then to friends in Las Cruces, Tucson, and finally Mesa.

I looked at Costco on line and they didn't show that Kitchenmaid we have but show a smaller Cuisinart, so you may luck out at the warehouse.

Adrian
__________________

emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:40 PM   #22
Member
 
civi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Hellertown, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
Posts: 61
A B&D toaster oven would be a good size and not be to big. However we haven`t bought one yet for the scamp. We mostly use the outdoor propane O grill. Most things can be done there, even toast, but we like the toast done on the pyramid gas stove thingy on the stove inside. You can by them for around 5-10 bucks and they weigh nothing. Good luck, Carl.
__________________

civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:04 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 10,715
I gave up on those folding toaster devices, but I wonder if one would double as a device to control simmering? Just remove the 'wings'. Hoping I didn't throw it out.
I find it easier and faster to toast English muffins on the BBQ.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Breakfast - 1.jpg (332.4 KB, 3 views)
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:35 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for 4th Maiden Voyage
Posts: 594
I have pretty good luck making toast / bagels in my cast iron skillet on top of my propane stove top burner. I'm now getting converted to a "black iron" steel skillet. Smoother than cast iron ... just a little lighter ( not much) but seem to like it better .... maybe the non stick being better is why ....? Seems to cook all other items as well if not better.


Any one interested in a cooking thread?


Tom
__________________
Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
Thor Heyerdahl
StarvingHyena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #25
Senior Member
 
JStelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Coldspring, Texas
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19'
Posts: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I travel with a Cruisinart TOB 155 Toaster Oven. While not a convection oven, it is large enough to cook a 12" pizza & high enough to cook a small roast or chicken. I have the convection version of the same oven (TOB 195) at home, and found that I rarely use the convection feature so I opped for the smaller, less expensive version for traveling.

They are both discontinued, however Cruisinart makes some equivalents.

I've been experimenting with a 12" Dutch Oven in a Volcano propane fired grill as a substitute for the toaster oven while dry camping with limited success. I have not mastered keeping an even temperature in the Dutch Oven when powered by the propane burner...

Ditto on the Volcano/propane/Dutch oven combination. It's tough to control the heat even with the volcano diffuser. We use the volcano almost exclusively with charcoal except at high altitudes. BTW the volcano makes a great campfire/outdoor heater using charcoal. Using the handle it can be easily moved anywhere.

We use a Breville oven we found at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's probably bigger than you want and we use it primarily outdoors plugged into the 120v outlet. I haven't tried it yet without shore power and we have the 1500w inverter. Something to try on the next trip.
JStelly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:24 AM   #26
Senior Member
 
EDarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Posts: 552
I hope so, Adrian (that it warms up for you!). I'm really enjoying Mesa though (great dog parks!!!) and signing papers to come back down next year.

Hoping to get back to Costco again -- have to coordinate with my friend, I'm not a member.

Thanks again!



Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Yes I know Ellen how poor the weather has been down there. Like Jon V has said until recently temps especially at night have been warmer at his house in NY than at Quartzite. Hopefully things will change by mid Feb in Mesa since we shall be there then. Heading out of this frozen north in 11 days, two weeks with our daughter in KS, then to friends in Las Cruces, Tucson, and finally Mesa.

I looked at Costco on line and they didn't show that Kitchenmaid we have but show a smaller Cuisinart, so you may luck out at the warehouse.

Adrian
__________________
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
末 C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
EDarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Posts: 552
Thanks, Carl, appreciate it -- will check it out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by civi View Post
A B&D toaster oven would be a good size and not be to big. However we haven`t bought one yet for the scamp. We mostly use the outdoor propane O grill. Most things can be done there, even toast, but we like the toast done on the pyramid gas stove thingy on the stove inside. You can by them for around 5-10 bucks and they weigh nothing. Good luck, Carl.
__________________
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
末 C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #28
Senior Member
 
EDarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Posts: 552
Thanks, Glen. Toasting on BBQ is good idea. It's been SO wet here--hard to venture out to take my pup--who really really hates the rain (yet loves mud puddles, go figure )


Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I gave up on those folding toaster devices, but I wonder if one would double as a device to control simmering? Just remove the 'wings'. Hoping I didn't throw it out.
I find it easier and faster to toast English muffins on the BBQ.
__________________
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
末 C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:30 AM   #29
Senior Member
 
EDarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Posts: 552
Hummm, had never herd of a black iron steel skillet. Just checked them out. Looks good! And no leaching of chemicals into food! I'd like to get one just for general use! Thanks, Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I have pretty good luck making toast / bagels in my cast iron skillet on top of my propane stove top burner. I'm now getting converted to a "black iron" steel skillet. Smoother than cast iron ... just a little lighter ( not much) but seem to like it better .... maybe the non stick being better is why ....? Seems to cook all other items as well if not better.


Any one interested in a cooking thread?


Tom
__________________
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
末 C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
EDarby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Posts: 552
Thank you - appreciate the info!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
We use a Breville oven we found at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's probably bigger than you want and we use it primarily outdoors plugged into the 120v outlet. I haven't tried it yet without shore power and we have the 1500w inverter. Something to try on the next trip.
__________________

__________________
You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.
末 C.S. Lewis
EDarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.