Toaster/Convection Oven? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2016, 08:47 PM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDarby View Post
Thanks Adrian. I could use some "heating up the trailer" right now. Mesa, AZ: 40's, 50's, rain.
My friend belongs to Costco so we may be going back there.
Speaking of toast, I've been holding the bread over the flame on the stove top. Have t'work with whatcha have.
Yes I know Ellen how poor the weather has been down there. Like Jon V has said until recently temps especially at night have been warmer at his house in NY than at Quartzite. Hopefully things will change by mid Feb in Mesa since we shall be there then. Heading out of this frozen north in 11 days, two weeks with our daughter in KS, then to friends in Las Cruces, Tucson, and finally Mesa.

I looked at Costco on line and they didn't show that Kitchenmaid we have but show a smaller Cuisinart, so you may luck out at the warehouse.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 09:40 PM   #22

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
A B&D toaster oven would be a good size and not be to big. However we haven`t bought one yet for the scamp. We mostly use the outdoor propane O grill. Most things can be done there, even toast, but we like the toast done on the pyramid gas stove thingy on the stove inside. You can by them for around 5-10 bucks and they weigh nothing. Good luck, Carl.
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:04 PM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I gave up on those folding toaster devices, but I wonder if one would double as a device to control simmering? Just remove the 'wings'. Hoping I didn't throw it out.
I find it easier and faster to toast English muffins on the BBQ.
Attached Thumbnails
Breakfast - 1.jpg  
Old 01-08-2016, 12:35 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
I have pretty good luck making toast / bagels in my cast iron skillet on top of my propane stove top burner. I'm now getting converted to a "black iron" steel skillet. Smoother than cast iron ... just a little lighter ( not much) but seem to like it better .... maybe the non stick being better is why ....? Seems to cook all other items as well if not better.

Any one interested in a cooking thread?

Tom
Old 01-08-2016, 08:43 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I travel with a Cruisinart TOB 155 Toaster Oven. While not a convection oven, it is large enough to cook a 12" pizza & high enough to cook a small roast or chicken. I have the convection version of the same oven (TOB 195) at home, and found that I rarely use the convection feature so I opped for the smaller, less expensive version for traveling.

They are both discontinued, however Cruisinart makes some equivalents.

I've been experimenting with a 12" Dutch Oven in a Volcano propane fired grill as a substitute for the toaster oven while dry camping with limited success. I have not mastered keeping an even temperature in the Dutch Oven when powered by the propane burner...

Ditto on the Volcano/propane/Dutch oven combination. It's tough to control the heat even with the volcano diffuser. We use the volcano almost exclusively with charcoal except at high altitudes. BTW the volcano makes a great campfire/outdoor heater using charcoal. Using the handle it can be easily moved anywhere.

We use a Breville oven we found at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's probably bigger than you want and we use it primarily outdoors plugged into the 120v outlet. I haven't tried it yet without shore power and we have the 1500w inverter. Something to try on the next trip.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 10:24 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
I hope so, Adrian (that it warms up for you!). I'm really enjoying Mesa though (great dog parks!!!) and signing papers to come back down next year.

Hoping to get back to Costco again -- have to coordinate with my friend, I'm not a member.

Thanks again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Yes I know Ellen how poor the weather has been down there. Like Jon V has said until recently temps especially at night have been warmer at his house in NY than at Quartzite. Hopefully things will change by mid Feb in Mesa since we shall be there then. Heading out of this frozen north in 11 days, two weeks with our daughter in KS, then to friends in Las Cruces, Tucson, and finally Mesa.

I looked at Costco on line and they didn't show that Kitchenmaid we have but show a smaller Cuisinart, so you may luck out at the warehouse.

Adrian
Old 01-08-2016, 10:25 AM   #27

Thanks, Carl, appreciate it -- will check it out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by civi View Post
A B&D toaster oven would be a good size and not be to big. However we haven`t bought one yet for the scamp. We mostly use the outdoor propane O grill. Most things can be done there, even toast, but we like the toast done on the pyramid gas stove thingy on the stove inside. You can by them for around 5-10 bucks and they weigh nothing. Good luck, Carl.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #28

Thanks, Glen. Toasting on BBQ is good idea. It's been SO wet here--hard to venture out to take my pup--who really really hates the rain (yet loves mud puddles, go figure )

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I gave up on those folding toaster devices, but I wonder if one would double as a device to control simmering? Just remove the 'wings'. Hoping I didn't throw it out.
I find it easier and faster to toast English muffins on the BBQ.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #29

Hummm, had never herd of a black iron steel skillet. Just checked them out. Looks good! And no leaching of chemicals into food! I'd like to get one just for general use! Thanks, Tom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingHyena View Post
I have pretty good luck making toast / bagels in my cast iron skillet on top of my propane stove top burner. I'm now getting converted to a "black iron" steel skillet. Smoother than cast iron ... just a little lighter ( not much) but seem to like it better .... maybe the non stick being better is why ....? Seems to cook all other items as well if not better.

Any one interested in a cooking thread?

Tom
Old 01-08-2016, 10:32 AM   #30

Thank you - appreciate the info!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
We use a Breville oven we found at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's probably bigger than you want and we use it primarily outdoors plugged into the 120v outlet. I haven't tried it yet without shore power and we have the 1500w inverter. Something to try on the next trip.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:47 AM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
I like my $10 thrift store toaster oven. Fits two pieces toast just fine and fits into my cupboard.

When it dies, I intend to use my small Breville oven. My guess is that the quartz heating elements will survive RV life longer than the traditional elements. I have nothing to back that up with though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
Ditto on the Volcano/propane/Dutch oven combination. It's tough to control the heat even with the volcano diffuser. We use the volcano almost exclusively with charcoal except at high altitudes. BTW the volcano makes a great campfire/outdoor heater using charcoal. Using the handle it can be easily moved anywhere.

The problem with a toaster oven combined with an inverter is even if your inverter is large enough to power it, running one for any more time than it takes to make toast will quickly kill your batteries. A 1500 watt toaster oven will draw 125 amps at 12V, using a little over 2 amp hours per minute of use. OK for toast, but tough for baking, cooking a chicken or roast, etc.

Depending on your battery(ies), you will run them down below safe levels (50%) in as little as 20 minutes. Even with a pair of 6V batteries, starting with full batteries gives you a little less than an hour, and that is assuming you don't need power for anything else & have a way to put back the 116 amp hours you took out of them.

I do carry a 2 slice, pop up toaster that I run on my 1000 watt inverter. It draws around 65 amps at 12V for 3 minutes toasting an english muffin, about the same draw as my 5 cup drip coffee maker. If I use both, I'll be down by about 10 amp hours, fairly easy to make up with my 355 watts of solar...
Old 01-08-2016, 01:09 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
There was talk at one time about a cooking thread ... which would be nice. If we could just post recipes and "how to" instructions, it would make it concise and easy to search.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:19 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Some amusement until that happens Jan.

Recipes - Escapees Discussion Forum

Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes - Fiberglass RV

Recipes at RV.net
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Thanks Bruce! They should be fun to look through. Although, the first recipe had me wondering ... "De-boning Snake"

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
haha, I saw that too.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote