Toaster/Convection Oven? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #31

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
I like my $10 thrift store toaster oven. Fits two pieces toast just fine and fits into my cupboard.

When it dies, I intend to use my small Breville oven. My guess is that the quartz heating elements will survive RV life longer than the traditional elements. I have nothing to back that up with though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
Ditto on the Volcano/propane/Dutch oven combination. It's tough to control the heat even with the volcano diffuser. We use the volcano almost exclusively with charcoal except at high altitudes. BTW the volcano makes a great campfire/outdoor heater using charcoal. Using the handle it can be easily moved anywhere.

We use a Breville oven we found at Bed Bath and Beyond. It's probably bigger than you want and we use it primarily outdoors plugged into the 120v outlet. I haven't tried it yet without shore power and we have the 1500w inverter. Something to try on the next trip.
The problem with a toaster oven combined with an inverter is even if your inverter is large enough to power it, running one for any more time than it takes to make toast will quickly kill your batteries. A 1500 watt toaster oven will draw 125 amps at 12V, using a little over 2 amp hours per minute of use. OK for toast, but tough for baking, cooking a chicken or roast, etc.

Depending on your battery(ies), you will run them down below safe levels (50%) in as little as 20 minutes. Even with a pair of 6V batteries, starting with full batteries gives you a little less than an hour, and that is assuming you don't need power for anything else & have a way to put back the 116 amp hours you took out of them.

I do carry a 2 slice, pop up toaster that I run on my 1000 watt inverter. It draws around 65 amps at 12V for 3 minutes toasting an english muffin, about the same draw as my 5 cup drip coffee maker. If I use both, I'll be down by about 10 amp hours, fairly easy to make up with my 355 watts of solar...

Old 01-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
There was talk at one time about a cooking thread ... which would be nice. If we could just post recipes and "how to" instructions, it would make it concise and easy to search.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 02:19 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Some amusement until that happens Jan.

Recipes - Escapees Discussion Forum

Camp Cooking, Food & Recipes - Fiberglass RV

Recipes at RV.net
Old 01-08-2016, 02:36 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
Thanks Bruce! They should be fun to look through. Although, the first recipe had me wondering ... "De-boning Snake"

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:45 PM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
haha, I saw that too.