Tongue weights - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #21

Trailer: 2013 - 19’ -- Our ‘Red Wagon ESCAPE’
Send a message via Yahoo to IBOACRES
Tom,

Welcome to my world... had somewhat the same numbers/range, which was killing me. I put new rear shocks and a set of helper springs on the F-150. Well for one they were factory shocks and four yrs+ old and the helper springs, which are passive with no weight in the bed or on the ball really make a difference. The factory Ford springs were too soft for my liking. With a similar setup - dual batteries, front fiberglass box and propane bottles, I decided to remove the fiberglass box - really didn't like it all that much. Moved the batteries inside under the rear bench and move both bottles back up against the body - similar to the Casita, in fact it's the same propane cover from the Casita - which permits one to snug the bottles up to the body, never like the newer style covers.

Anyway, I have the rear U-dinette setup and a mattress up front. I'm currently setup for camping next week - or the most part I have everything loaded in the camper, no water in either grey/black tanks , water heater is full and the Sherline is showing just under 300#.

You still running the Toyota without a WDH? I remember you didn't while towing the Casita.
Beyond that how's everybody from the egg-club doing these days? Haven't been to many rallies for while.

John Busch.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:26 AM   #22

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBOACRES View Post

Anyway, I have the rear U-dinette setup and a mattress up front. I'm currently setup for camping next week - or the most part I have everything loaded in the camper, no water in either grey/black tanks , water heater is full and the Sherline is showing just under 300#.
We had a tongue weight of over 400 with our 19'. A tongue weight in the 200s would very likely not be sufficient. Should be 10-15% of total loaded weight. You would have to get total loaded weight from a truck scale if you do not have it.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:15 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBOACRES View Post
Tom,

Welcome to my world... had somewhat the same numbers/range, which was killing me. I put new rear shocks and a set of helper springs on the F-150. Well for one they were factory shocks and four yrs+ old and the helper springs, which are passive with no weight in the bed or on the ball really make a difference. The factory Ford springs were too soft for my liking. With a similar setup - dual batteries, front fiberglass box and propane bottles, I decided to remove the fiberglass box - really didn't like it all that much. Moved the batteries inside under the rear bench and move both bottles back up against the body - similar to the Casita, in fact it's the same propane cover from the Casita - which permits one to snug the bottles up to the body, never like the newer style covers.

You still running the Toyota without a WDH? I remember you didn't while towing the Casita.
Beyond that how's everybody from the egg-club doing these days? Haven't been to many rallies for while.

John Busch.
John Bush!!! We miss you!!!

Rechecked it last night and it is a little lower @540 lb. with the trailer perfectly level. No water in the water heater or tanks. Scale is correct because its right on 200 when I stand on it.

The weight is really not a problem for me I was just surprised it was that high. We have a new 2016 Tundra and WDH hitch so not really a problem. I would like to get it down some but probably only have about 30-40 lbs of stuff in the front box.

With the dual 6 volt, full propane, converter and inverter under front bench and a few gallons of water in the black tank that's probably going to be about the best I can get unless I add water to the fresh water tank to offset it and don't see the need with our truck as that's just more overall weight to carry around. I will fill the hot water heater when I pull the trailer out of the garage and check it again.

Come see us sometime!
Old 07-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 19'
This seems a little concerning! We have ordered a 19' to tow with a Highlander rated at 500lb tongue, 5000lb tow capacity. I realize tongue weight can be altered by loading but overall weight may be an issue. Has anyone weighed their entire trailer? I know it's stated at 2950lb but that would be bare bones with none of the heavier options such as dual pane windows, dual 6v, front box, etc.

Thanks,
Eric
Eric & El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Eric, does your Highlander manual specify a 500# tongue weight maximum? On our 2016's manual there is no mention of that - only the various towing weight capacities.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
We have weighted ours twice. It's right at 3600 loaded and we travel light.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:56 AM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric & El View Post
We have ordered a 19' to tow with a Highlander rated at 500lb tongue, 5000lb tow capacity. I realize tongue weight can be altered by loading but overall weight may be an issue. Has anyone weighed their entire trailer? I know it's stated at 2950lb but that would be bare bones with none of the heavier options such as dual pane windows, dual 6v, front box, etc.
This is a subject which comes up often, but it can be a challenge to find relevant previous discussion threads. Here are a couple:
Weight of 19 Escape
True weight of the second generation 19
Those specific options are usually mentioned in these discussions.

The Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of a current Escape 19' is 5000 pounds, which means that you are not allowed to load it up so heavily that it exceeds your tow vehicle's trailer weight rating. There's much more to consider in ratings than just that one number, but with reasonable options and cargo the 19' will be well under GVWR - there's no need to carry a ton of options and cargo.

Whether or not a tongue weight which could be as high as 500 pounds is a concern for the Highlander will depend on how much load you carry in the rear of the Highlander, because the vehicle's rear Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR) could be exceeded.

While the Highlander manual does not explicitly state a hitch weight limit, it does direct the user to have 9% to 11% tongue weight, which would imply no more than 550 pounds on the hitch. The hitch receiver may also have a label on it, depending on year and brand. Escapes tend to run higher than 10% - maybe 12% - tongue weight before loading, and owners may even increase the front bias from that when loading, especially with dual batteries (in the 19') and cargo in the tongue box.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #28

Thanks so much for the replies everyone, makes us feel much better. We decided to forgo A/C and spray foam insulation which should keep the weight down some but clearly careful loading will be key. It sounds like a tongue scale would be a wise investment especially with a smaller SUV. Coming from a tent and kayak camping background pre kids we too pack light. Just want to be sure we are being safe when we get out on the highway.

Thanks again,

Eric
Old 07-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Eric, does your Highlander manual specify a 500# tongue weight maximum? On our 2016's manual there is no mention of that - only the various towing weight capacities.
Hi, Eric. I have seen the 500. What I am wondering is whether you have the front-wheel or AWD version of the Highlander?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:06 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Tongue weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Hi, Eric. I have seen the 500. What I am wondering is whether you have the front-wheel or AWD version of the Highlander?

AWD on ours and I have searched the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 05:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
AWD on ours and I have searched the manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have seen it on the Internet a number of times.

There is apparently a big difference between yours and the front-wheel, as far as towing, despite the 5,000 capacity given for front-wheel with tow package. At least, some people think so and are saying so. Hard to know if that is the case from information given though. It could be that the info was not correct.

I know that you have towed your 21' in all circumstances without a problem. Just a note that you might want to distinguish between the two if asked about yours.
Old 07-14-2017, 05:14 PM   #32

Quote:
This seems a little concerning! We have ordered a 19' to tow with a Highlander rated at 500lb tongue, 5000lb tow capacity. I realize tongue weight can be altered by loading but overall weight may be an issue. Has anyone weighed their entire trailer? I know it's stated at 2950lb but that would be bare bones with none of the heavier options such as dual pane windows, dual 6v, front box, etc.

Thanks,
Eric
To follow what I just said in the last post, which Highlander do you have? AWD?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This is a subject which comes up often, ben loading, especially with dual batteries (in the 19') and cargo in the tongue box.
It does and it almost makes me want to go and weight my rig just our of curiosity.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #34

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My new 19 with the dual 6er's came in with 425# with a fresh tank in the rear 2/3 full.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:04 PM   #35

We have a 2010 Highlander 3.5l AWD with trans cooler. To be sure I had Toyota run the VIN to confirm it does have tow package. The owners manual states 5000lb under weight limits and under tongue load it says 500lb (tongue load / gross trailer weight x 100 = 9 to 11%) and if gross trailer weight is over 2000lb it is necessary to use a sway control device. Was thinking of the Fastway E2 since it allows backing up without disconnecting bars but that is a whole other decision between the 450/4500lb model or the 600/6000lb unit. I suppose the bars on the smaller unit would flex more reducing stress applied to the trailer frame but we would at the upper end of it's limit. Decisions, decisions!

I did hook up a coworker's relatively heavy dual axle utility trailer with brakes and you couldn't even tell anything was back there. The 3.5l has plenty of torque, I just see the weak spots being the trans, brakes, and suspension, although coworker weighs 250lb and stood on the hitch with his trailer connected and the rear of the vehicle only dropped 3/4"

My wife and I have talked of paying off the trailer then upgrading to something like a newer Forerunner. In the meantime common sense, drive easy in the right lane, use the gears, and maybe even avoid the Coquihalla if necessary.

Eric
Old 07-14-2017, 08:14 PM   #36

Just calculated: 425/3600=11.8% pretty much bang on the money. Thanks Jim and Tom for the numbers.

Eric
Old 07-14-2017, 08:15 PM   #37

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Just for fun ..

(1) Question = Ok , So your new trailer weighs 2500Lbs new and empty ... and you load 2500lbs of beer an wine into your new trailer . What would the recommended NEW tongue weight be .
(2) Question = Now do you need a new tow vehicle .

https://sites.google.com/a/automotiv...of-rv-trailers
Old 07-14-2017, 08:18 PM   #38

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've driven the Coquihalla dozens of times, towing my 17B with a RAV4 V6 with tow package and weight distribution ( no sway bars ). I get slowed to 85 kph approaching the summit.
My buddy is right behind me, towing his 19 with, first a Hyundai Santa Fe ( 3,500 lb limit ) and now a Highlander.
You don't happen to have been riding bikes on Dogwood Place in Tswawwassen recently? You may have chatted with him.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Just calculated: 425/3600=11.8% pretty much bang on the money. Thanks Jim and Tom for the numbers.

Eric
The expected loaded weight of a new 19' is over 4000 lbs., not 3600. Even the old 19's usually exceeded 3600, some up to 4000. 3600 is not a weight that you should expect to have.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:43 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I've driven the Coquihalla dozens of times, towing my 17B with a RAV4 V6 with tow package and weight distribution ( no sway bars ). I get slowed to 85 kph approaching the summit.
My buddy is right behind me, towing his 19 with, first a Hyundai Santa Fe ( 3,500 lb limit ) and now a Highlander.
You don't happen to have been riding bikes on Dogwood Place in Tswawwassen recently? You may have chatted with him.
I have seen his trailer in the driveway and do ride quite often in Tsawwassen. If I see him out I will stop and say Hi. Must have been some other riders that talked to him.

It looks like the main thing is we should be okay, I got a little worried when I read about an F150 having trouble with a 19. When parting with a large sum of money on something you can't test out first it can be a little worrisome I suppose. I have in the back of my mind considered that the newer 19 would be 4000lb loaded with full tanks. When we take delivery we will have to find a scale to get the total weight once we choose all our typical gear to carry and then play with the loading from there to get the proper tongue weight.