towing mirros - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2009, 01:12 PM   #1

towing mirros

Hello all.

Just curious what others are using for towing mirrors. We have a set that clamp onto the front quarter panels between the hood line and the wheel well. The only thing I don't like much is they vibrate while on the highway so its hard to see clearly. We also use a backup camera mounted on the rear of the Escape above the window to see cars tail-gating in close behind the trailer and for backing up.

What are others using for towing mirrors and how are they working for you?
Calvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Re: towing mirros

Here is what I've been using..One for each side. http://www.safedriving.com/Mediumauxiliarymirror.htm It works for me with my '05 Sienna. How did you hook up a back-up camera? Can you continuously observe the traffic while travelling? That is on my wish list.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #3

Hi SandraL - thanks for the reply.

I looked at the mirrors on the link - how do you get them out far enough to see behind the trailer?

Our backup camera is permamentally mounted on the trailer and wired through the back closet and down behind the corner panel to the +12V power at the inverter under the RR seats. Its wireless from there to the display which plugs into the cigarette power and sits on the truck dash. yes we use it as a continuous "rear view" mirror when we are driving. I got it at Canadian Tire. I will take a couple of pictures tomorrow if I get a chance.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #4

The glass in the frame (which is curved) can be manually positioned to one's liking. Unfortunately there is a lack of visual capability immediately behind the trailer. It is kind of like one of those "blind spot" mirrors plus long distance viewing. The smaller version I found first at Camping World, then ordered the larger ones from the website. What is the brand of your back-up viewing set-up? Thanks for the wiring info.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

THIS is what I use. I am quite happy with it. Minimal shake to it, and is a nice double check. I find I use them quite a bit in addition to the regular mirrors.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:37 PM   #6

I can't see behind me, if I'm driving straight. I can see most of the lane beside me, so passing is not a problem. If I really need to see behind me I "wag" just a little (a slight "steering event" combined with a well timed look in the mirror - works every time and if done correctly there is no added vibration).

As for backing into sites - I thought that's what the sturdy bumper was for - to tell you when you have gone too far....
mosquitodirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: mosquitodirk... That's called the "Blind Method". Park by sound not by sight 8) Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #8

Hello.
Let's see if I can posts some pictures of the mirrors and backup camera we use....
Attached Thumbnails
towing mirror1.jpg   towing mirror2.jpg  
Old 08-18-2009, 10:14 AM   #9

Okay, this is going to be tedious....you can only attach two pics per post and if you do posts too quickly you get an error message: "The last posting from your IP was less than 120 seconds ago. Please try again later. " Is there a better way to post pics on this forum?

trying again with the camera pics.....
Attached Thumbnails
review camera1.jpg   review camera2.jpg  
Old 08-18-2009, 10:16 AM   #10

And after waiting the prequiste two minute penalty, I can post the final two pics....
Attached Thumbnails
review screen.jpg   review system box.jpg  
Old 08-18-2009, 10:49 AM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

The 2 minute delay was implemented to stop/slow down spammers. A bit longer then on some sites, but if it helps, it is all good.

Interesting camera. Do you find you use it much, or is it just a check for safety?

Also curious about the rock guard on your rear window, I have not seen that before
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 01:43 PM   #12

Hi Jim.

Stopping spammers is worth the delay.

I find I do use the camera all the time on the highway. I glance at it the same way I use the rearview mirror when the trailer is not there. Probably just a personal driving habit...

I had Reace replace the rear window in our trailer last year with one that opened and had the rockguard for a cover. We had camped in a couple of places where we couldn't get enough airflow through the trailer to cool it down at night so we wanted the window to open. We also liked the sun shade and rain awning abilities of the front rock shield so we have it put over the rear window. So far both the ventilation and the awning have worked out well for us. And so far no problems with water egress on the highway. Additonally, when the trailer is parked in the garage/workshop that rockshield make a great whiteboard to write on...
Old 08-19-2009, 11:03 PM   #13

Super idea! And thanks for the pictures as well as the additional information.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:35 PM   #14

I love the whiteboard idea - seems like a good place to write messages to potential tailgaters (whom you could see with the wonderfully handy camera).

Excellent setup.
mosquitodirk is offline   Reply With Quote