Towing with a Ford Escape - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2009, 02:24 AM   #11

Re: Towing with a Ford Escape

Thank you for that Alf. I'm just trying to get a feel for what experienced people think. Gabe

Old 08-06-2009, 06:10 AM   #12

Hi Gabe, and welcome to Escape. I guess you're EscapeX2! We pulled a 17' Freedom Deluxe with our Honda Pilot (no WDH) and then with a Jeep Wrangler (4 door) with a WDH. The Honda would feel like it was "skating" at higher speeds, down hill, on curves. Little uncomfortable, but only at higher speeds. The WDH seemed to tie the trailer to the Jeep, essentially making the car and trailer one piece, thus give us a longer wheel base (the thing Alf was referring to). I didn't tend to drive the Jeep as fast as the Honda when pulling, so that helped too. I would imagine with the WDH that the only problem you'd have would be similar to Sandra, you'd just have to be happy going up the hills a little slower in a lower gear. Bottom line is, you won't fully know until you try it, but I will guarantee you one thing, you'll love your Escape!!!!

Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:12 AM   #13

My thoughts are if it's already set-up for towing and you get/have a WDH and your within the specs of the tow vehicle.. give it a whirl and see how it feels.. We we're towing our 17 ft w/o any problem with the 2008 highlander.. but we did need the WDH mainly for the tounge weight.. When we got the AS we towed from SF to FL and decided that we needed to upgrade the tow vehicle..just to keep the blood in my knuckles..so give it a shot and see how everything pairs up..anyway that me 2 cents worth..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:56 AM   #14

Thank you to everybody. I'll just have to take Ford's word for it (about the 3500 pound capability) and add a WDH. I take delivery in September and can't wait to see how it works out.....................and how the Escape trailer compares with the Casita which I have now sold. I guess, as I can't get out on the road for a month, I'll just have to face the yard-work at home which I have "escaped" from for the last long while..................at least the neighbours will be happy that the garden will look better!!! Thanks again. Gabe
Old 08-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #15

Gabe, I know you'll enjoy the Escape. We LOVED our Casita, but our Escape is THE TRICK!!!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:59 AM   #16

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

I do love my two Escapes and find them a good combo...We do have the equalizer hitch..

"I" have driven with the trailer on the highway from Vancouver to Yale (then Doug took over on the canyon!) Also have done the Hope-Princeton to Osoyoos (you know the hills there and around the corners) Handled well.
We find we play around with the brake control for city and freeway driving, but easy to adjust. (it is a "Pilot" brake controller)

I used to drive with the car and Boler and now maybe I am a litle more cautious because both vehicle and trailer are new to us, but Doug says he finds it very comfortable to drive...

Hope this helps.