Towing with a Ford Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2009, 12:58 PM   #1

Towing with a Ford Escape

Hello, I'm a new member preparing to take delivery of my new 17B. My question to all you experienced RV'ers is this: Can my Ford Escape (automatic with overdrive) do the job? I don't really want to change my tow vehicle, as I just love the Ford Escape and would like to hear from other people who use it for towing. Supposedly it can tow up to 3500 pounds, but surely a fully loaded 17B must be getting close to the Ford Escape's towing limit. Is an equlizer hitch a must, and is a sway-bar a must have item for safety? I would really appreciate any tips or opinions. Thanks you.
Gabe.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:22 PM   #2

Re: Towing with a Ford Escape

Questions that will help us provide you with an answer:

What year is your Ford? Was it originally bouight in Canada or the US? What engine does it have? Is it all-wheel-drive?

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #3

My Ford Escape is a 2002, with a six cylinder engine, automatic transmission with overdrive, and was bought in Canada. I have been towing a 13' Casita Deluxe with it, but I always felt that maybe it was "pushed around" a bit by the Casita which weighed 2200 pounds dry. I did not have an equalizer hitch but I did have a sway-bar. Maybe I'm just being a bit too cautious, I don't know. I am grateful for any advice I can get. Thanks. Gabe
Old 08-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Welcome gabe and congratulations.
My Sienna has a 3500 # towing capacity and though I have to put it in a lower gear up the steeper inclines, we seem to do well. I have a WDH, but have no need for a sway bar. The "Suite Escape" (also a 17B) tracks beautifully even when big rigs zoom by.
Enjoy!
Old 08-05-2009, 02:55 PM   #5

Sorry, I forgot to answer your last question. It is a 4X4 which seems to have some kind of automatic mechanism for going into 4X4, though it can be locked into permanent 4X4. I'm not sure whether it is normally an all wheel drive or not, but there is a switch on the dash labelled "automatic" and "lock" for the 4X4. Is that helpful information? Gabe
Old 08-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #6

Thank you Sandra. What is a Sienna? Is it a truck or an SUV or what? gabe
Old 08-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #7

"Pushed around" seems like your brake controller is not set right. Your brakes should be set so that the trailer stops the trailer and the SUV stops the SUV.

(I find that my answers tend to be curt - don't take that personally.)

A Sienna is a Toyota minivan.

2009 17' Plan B
Old 08-05-2009, 03:17 PM   #8

Anna-Marie, who goes by amirie here, uses an Escape to haul her Escape. (I don't know whether she does the driving). I am sure that you will get an answer from her when she next logs in. In the meantime, you might search her posts.

2009 17' Plan B
Old 08-05-2009, 03:21 PM   #9

Thanks, Ron. By 'pushed around" I mean not necessarily when I brake, just when I hit a bump in the road or take a fairly sharp corner. Maybe that is natural, I haven't been towing long enough to know that, and I don't tow past 100kph. Actually, the brakes seem to work very nicely, but going around some bends and hitting some bumps can be scarey for me. That is why I was questioning whether the Ford Escape is really up to the job or not. Thanks again. gabe
Old 08-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: gabe... I have not tugged with a Ford Escape but I did pull a 13' Boler with a V6 Taurus Wagon. What I think some overlook with regard to towing spec's. is wheelbase!!! If it were me, I think the Escape 4X4 would benefit from the EQ. hitch and Sway bars due to its short wheelbase. Just my $0.02 worth. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:24 AM   #11

Thank you for that Alf. I'm just trying to get a feel for what experienced people think. Gabe
Old 08-06-2009, 05:10 AM   #12

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Hi Gabe, and welcome to Escape. I guess you're EscapeX2! We pulled a 17' Freedom Deluxe with our Honda Pilot (no WDH) and then with a Jeep Wrangler (4 door) with a WDH. The Honda would feel like it was "skating" at higher speeds, down hill, on curves. Little uncomfortable, but only at higher speeds. The WDH seemed to tie the trailer to the Jeep, essentially making the car and trailer one piece, thus give us a longer wheel base (the thing Alf was referring to). I didn't tend to drive the Jeep as fast as the Honda when pulling, so that helped too. I would imagine with the WDH that the only problem you'd have would be similar to Sandra, you'd just have to be happy going up the hills a little slower in a lower gear. Bottom line is, you won't fully know until you try it, but I will guarantee you one thing, you'll love your Escape!!!!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:12 AM   #13

My thoughts are if it's already set-up for towing and you get/have a WDH and your within the specs of the tow vehicle.. give it a whirl and see how it feels.. We we're towing our 17 ft w/o any problem with the 2008 highlander.. but we did need the WDH mainly for the tounge weight.. When we got the AS we towed from SF to FL and decided that we needed to upgrade the tow vehicle..just to keep the blood in my knuckles..so give it a shot and see how everything pairs up..anyway that me 2 cents worth..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 AM   #14

Thank you to everybody. I'll just have to take Ford's word for it (about the 3500 pound capability) and add a WDH. I take delivery in September and can't wait to see how it works out.....................and how the Escape trailer compares with the Casita which I have now sold. I guess, as I can't get out on the road for a month, I'll just have to face the yard-work at home which I have "escaped" from for the last long while..................at least the neighbours will be happy that the garden will look better!!! Thanks again. Gabe
Old 08-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #15

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Gabe, I know you'll enjoy the Escape. We LOVED our Casita, but our Escape is THE TRICK!!!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:59 AM   #16

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

I do love my two Escapes and find them a good combo...We do have the equalizer hitch..

"I" have driven with the trailer on the highway from Vancouver to Yale (then Doug took over on the canyon!) Also have done the Hope-Princeton to Osoyoos (you know the hills there and around the corners) Handled well.
We find we play around with the brake control for city and freeway driving, but easy to adjust. (it is a "Pilot" brake controller)

I used to drive with the car and Boler and now maybe I am a litle more cautious because both vehicle and trailer are new to us, but Doug says he finds it very comfortable to drive...

Hope this helps.