Towing with a Toyota Venza - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-04-2012, 09:31 PM   #1

Towing with a Toyota Venza

New to this forum and seriously considering the purchase of a 15b or 17b Escape.I need your help.I am retired and my wife will be in four months and the plan if all goes according to Hoyle is to take a six month, cross Canada and U.S.tour.We live in Prince George. Our current vehicle is a 2010 Toyota Venza V6,FWD which, according to Toyota is rated to tow up to 3500lbs.Which one would we safely be able to tow.If we make the purchase the unit will be fairly optioned out,awning,three burner/oven/microwave,5cf fridge,a.c.,dual batteries,and propane being the major items with any weight.When we travel we go very light.One small travel bag each, a couple of lawn chairs and probably enough food in the fridge for one day and a small pooch.We are planning on a factory visit Oct 2 as well.Your thoughts are much appreciated.
redrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Re: Towing with a Toyota Venza

Your tow vehicle will like the 15B but you will like the 17B- both appear to be within your car's spec's. Do you have the factory towing package with extra cooling and hitch?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:15 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

Even if you have the tow package & hitch, a couple of things to consider if it hasn't already been done - You will need to add a brake controller & wiring to the Venza. At the same time you might also consider adding a charge line from the battery to the trailer connector to charge the trailer battery while driving. The hitch must be a class III if you are going to use a weight distribution hitch (recommended by Escape for front wheel drive vehicles).

I tow an Escape 17B with a 2010 RAV4 - have towed 30,000 miles so far with no problems.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #4

Thanks for the responses.No towing or cooling package was avail for the 2010,however Toyota offers a class three hitch installed for around $700.00.I will be adding a controller and go with the equalizer hitch as well. Mike
redrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #5

A few months ago I installed the hitch and controller on our 2009 RAV4. Unless you need a really custom hitch for some obscure reason, they run a little over $100 dollars on the internet. Ours was delivered from within Canada (e.g. no customs hassle), free shipping and it arrived within a couple of days. Installation was very fast, unbolt a bracket or two and bolt it in.

What does take time is installing the brake controller/T harness and running the wires but it is still is relatively easy particularly if you run new wires outside (and not through the inside). If you look on line there is likely a video of someone who has done it before and it will give you a general idea of what is needed. We got the best deal on the internet and later found out that COSTCO on line had the same controller for less.

I recently ordered (online again) and installed air bags which levels the back of the RAV nicely, very happy with the result. You might consider it as an alternative to the equalizer hitch.

Dave

Dave D. is offline   Reply With Quote