Trailer 7 way plug problem - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2019, 11:06 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
I am able to locate the 7 way wire external entry point to the trailer, but inside the trailer, under the bed storage area, I found no wiring junction box. Any idea where is the wiring junction box is located?

Tonny LR
Just follow the wire back to find the junction box on the underside of the trailer frame.
It should look like mine pictured below but without the switch in the bottom.
Just give the nuts a snug but be careful not to short one with another as there is live battery voltage in the box...as there is within the connector.
Attached Thumbnails
3AB7D637-647D-4BA0-9E7C-E2A6E949536F.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:51 AM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Hi Eggscape,
Thank you for your 7 way trailer cable junction box location info and picture. It will definitely help me and others if cable and plug needed to be replaced.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:38 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I now use it with the Escape. It works great to keep the 7 pin from getting loose and causing the lights to fail. Adjusted to just slip over the spring-loaded cover on the 7-pin receptacle, it is easy to remove / replace but keeps the cover secured on the 7-pin connector.

That's worth a try. Thanks.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:21 AM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
I am able to locate the 7 way wire external entry point to the trailer, but inside the trailer, under the bed storage area, I found no wiring junction box. Any idea where is the wiring junction box is located?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
In the 19 it should be under the driver side front dinette seat,,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Just follow the wire back to find the junction box on the underside of the trailer frame.
It should look like mine pictured below but without the switch in the bottom. Just give the nuts a snug but be careful not to short one with another as there is live battery voltage in the box...as there is within the connector.
Ed: The OP has a 2014. Do we know when the change to an outside 7 pin junction box like yours was made? As Jim eluded to the earlier 19's had it under the front DS dinette seat and it looks like I show in the photo. (Ignore the white tubes and the gray Liquid-tite passing through the floor - that is for my mini-split install)
Attached Thumbnails
junction box.jpg  
Old 06-10-2019, 09:06 AM   #25

Trailer: Used to own a 17B and a 19 Escape
Quote:
Has anyone experienced 7 way plug probems? Thanks.
Tonny LR
YES exact same problem on a brand new 19 that I picked up from Escape last summer. I have a 2015 GMC Sierra. Fortunately it happened on the last day of my 6 week trip back from BC. However I had to listen to the dinging trailer connecting and disconnecting for 10 hours. I didn't read thru this whole thread so this may have been posted. There is a GM service bulletin on this. See attached link.

I was able to duplicate the problem by wiggling the plug and it didn't take much movement to cause it to disconnect. I cleaned the plug and tried dielectric grease, did nothing. I checked the wires all the way back to the junction box, they were fine. I replaced the plug recommended in the service bulletin and so far no problems. It was super easy to just cut the old plug off (I was hesitant to do this) and install the new one.

https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/SB-10081241-2280.pdf

I used a Pollak Heavy Duty 7-Way plug that was recommended.
ichrisdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #26

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
My 7 pin has never come loose because it has a hook held in place at the truck receptacle springed-lid. The wires, though, have pulled out from the plug and no amount of tape will hold.
Attached Thumbnails
plug3A.jpg  
Old 06-10-2019, 10:43 AM   #27

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ichrisdr View Post
I was able to duplicate the problem by wiggling the plug and it didn't take much movement to cause it to disconnect. I cleaned the plug and tried dielectric grease, did nothing. I checked the wires all the way back to the junction box, they were fine. I replaced the plug recommended in the service bulletin and so far no problems. It was super easy to just cut the old plug off (I was hesitant to do this) and install the new one.

Thank you for sharing the GM Bulletin
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:33 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichrisdr View Post
YES exact same problem on a brand new 19 that I picked up from Escape last summer. I have a 2015 GMC Sierra. Fortunately it happened on the last day of my 6 week trip back from BC. However I had to listen to the dinging trailer connecting and disconnecting for 10 hours. I didn't read thru this whole thread so this may have been posted. There is a GM service bulletin on this. See attached link.

Thank you for sharing the info. The GMC dealer mechanic gave me the same advice without the memo. I bought a POLLAK 12-706 Plastic Blade Style 7-Way Plug from Amazon for $6.54, but is pondering whether to clean the plug first or replace it as you had done it. Would you share what model of Pollak plug that you had used.

Tonny LR
Old 06-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepy View Post
Thank you for sharing the GM Bulletin
No problem.

Quote:
Thank you for sharing the info. The GMC dealer mechanic gave me the same advice without the memo. I bought a POLLAK 12-706 Plastic Blade Style 7-Way Plug from Amazon for $6.54, but is pondering whether to clean the plug first or replace it as you had done it. Would you share what model of Pollak plug that you had used.
It may not hurt to try and clean it. You should be able to duplicate the problem just by backing the truck up and plugging the connector into the truck and wiggling the wire. I found that holding the plug and pushing it to one side caused the issue. It wasn't that the plug was backing out of the truck connector. I hope that makes sense.
I'm pretty sure the one you purchased off Amazon is the one I got. I got mine from etrailer. Pollak Black Plastic, 7-Pole, RV-Style Trailer Connector - Trailer End PK12706.

https://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Pollak/PK12706.html

Oh one other thing I tried was tightening the connection by bending the metal contacts inside the trailer plug. That didn't help either.

Good luck.
Old 06-10-2019, 08:40 PM   #30

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
This related bulletin has the recommended Pollak model numbers...12-706 included

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...80686-2280.pdf
Old 06-10-2019, 08:59 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
This related bulletin has the recommended Pollak model numbers...12-706 included

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...80686-2280.pdf
This one is much easier to understand than the one I attached earlier. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:43 PM   #32

Hello ichrisdr and rubicon327,
Thank you for verifing the part # for the trailer plug as suggested by GMC engineers. It was my bad that I did not take time to read it. I am pleased that I got the right one. Thank you all forum members for giving me valueable suggestions and helpfull info. I appreciated everyone of you.

Tonny LR
Old 06-11-2019, 03:17 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21/ 09 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I have cleaned my 7 pin connector several times using aerosol contact cleaner to flush out any foreign material and following up with spray lubricant. I would try this before replacing the assembly. Also check the cord for possible damage.
Good advice. I have done the same and that contact cleaner does the trick.
luckyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:09 AM   #34

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, Prior 2013 E19
I had the same problem. After trying cloning etc I ended up changing the the connecting cable on the trailer. No problem since then.
DenverRTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #35

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
After having to clean the slightly corroded contacts on both sides of the 7-pin connection I used some dielectric grease on it. That has worked wonders for me over the years, rarely having to address the connection at all, other than maybe a wipe and reapply every year or two.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #36

I decided to cut off the Bargman plug and replaced it with Pollack 12-706 plug which fits better and was recommended by GMC to use a Pollak plug to alleviate the poor connection problem. I used ring connectors for the wiring and silicone sealant for water proofing. All signal/indicator lights worked well.

Tonny LR
Old 06-22-2019, 02:48 PM   #37

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I have sanded the contacts on both sides, much harder on the socket side. Also used the CRC Contact Cleaner. Still had problems with one side turn signal and brake light. Finally, a small flat blade screw driver allowed me to squeeze the contacts together inside the trailer side plug. It is working fine for now, it now needs more attentive checking.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
7 pin plug replacement

My seven-pin plug came out and I dragged it on the ground for a few miles before I noticed. As a result, it has a nice bevel on one side.

I am thinking of replacing it with this plug that LEDs that light up to make sure the connection is good. i was wondering if anyone has any experience with this plug or other alternatives.

This happened twice on our last trip. It turns out the spring holding the plug top against the plug has weakened. So Looks like I will be searching for a replacement on the vehicle side as well. And I am going to start using the camco multi clamp.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Leon,
I have been using a thick rubber band or a elastic hairband found on the pavement. Works like a charm keeping that lid tight on the connection.
Old 03-28-2020, 11:25 AM   #40

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I had a 4-way plug like that on my last trailer. It was very helpful to have (though the problem was ALWAYS after the plug on that trailer, I could see that immediately.). Now I have a thing that plugs into the 7 way outlet and lets you check via LED lights. But that would be better as it lets you know if the plug itself is making a good connection, not just that the car-side wires are good.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote