Trailer brakes on 19 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2017, 06:58 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I didn't know trailer brakes need adjusting never done that on my trailer or on my horse trailer they both seem to work well?
I do mine once a year, and if travelling lots, would do them more often. Quite easy to do. If repacking the bearings, real easy to do at that time. Sometimes it does not take much, but if towing a lot it will take a bit more adjusting.

Iowa Dave is putting on a brake adjustment clinic at the rally. Or at least I suggested he should.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:36 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Sorry Jim, no clinic this year as Eric and I will be busy manning the ticket booth selling tickets for a custom trailer tour with refreshments for a new trailer some guy in Calgary has been working on for months. The tickets will be $ 15.00 US $20.00 CAN two drink tickets included. First 100 tickets come with an hors d voures sampler and an autographed 8X10 glossy of Eric and me. Can we put you down for two?
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
The tickets will be $ 15.00 US $20.00 CAN two drink tickets included.

Can we put you down for two?
Dave
As long as I get my choice of drink, most certainly. There is this $500 Scotch I would love to sample.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-16-2017, 08:58 AM   #24

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Trailer brakes on 19

Quote:
Sorry Jim, no clinic this year as Eric and I will be busy manning the ticket booth selling tickets for a custom trailer tour with refreshments for a new trailer some guy in Calgary has been working on for months. The tickets will be $ 15.00 US $20.00 CAN two drink tickets included. First 100 tickets come with an hors d voures sampler and an autographed 8X10 glossy of Eric and me. Can we put you down for two?
Dave

Dave, what's the ticket price to sit at Jim's dinette, eat a piece of his rhubarb meringue pie and chase it with a cup of his home roast joe?

(As inviting as it sounds, you can keep the Eric and me glossy and substitute a glossy of Jim's cabinets.)
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:09 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... The only thing in Jim Bennett's trailer that's glossy is his "Chrome dome"!!! Yes I'm almost there too. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #26

Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
As long as I get my choice of drink, most certainly. There is this $500 Scotch I would love to sample.
Well ,,Jim any thing that's in your custom liquor cabinet is on the wine and spirits list. So what ever you want to serve is up to you. Eric said we'd cut you in at 10% but I argued for twelve and a half. You didn't tell me you were bringing pie.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:02 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
Dave, what's the ticket price to sit at Jim's dinette, eat a piece of his rhubarb meringue pie and chase it with a cup of his home roast joe?
Darn, I just sent my mom home yesterday and forgot to get the recipe. I will call her. Cup 'o Joe, on the house.
Quote:
Well ,,Jim any thing that's in your custom liquor cabinet is on the wine and spirits list. So what ever you want to serve is up to you. Eric said we'd cut you in at 10% but I argued for twelve and a half. You didn't tell me you were bringing pie.
Dave
You are obviously a much nicer guy than Eric.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:33 PM   #28

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Darn, I just sent my mom home yesterday and forgot to get the recipe. I will call her. Cup 'o Joe, on the house.

Dang! I'm not going to be there - no trailer. Maybe next year. If I'd know about the Cup 'o Joe on the house, I would have ordered my trailer much sooner.
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Sorry, back on topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
They require adjustment. If you are handy at all a brake adjustment isn't hard. Jack up a wheel using your favorite method- don't place a jack under the axle. I like the Trailer Aid, although you can shim up a "normal" ramp to get the other wheel enough in the air to spin. Then crawl underneath with a large flatblade screw driver. There are two slots on the back of the hub. The one towards the rear has the star wheel. Click it up until it stops then back it off 7 clicks. May need a flashlight to see better.

When it is time for brakes will upgrade to Nev R Adjust; a mere $10 more than a standard backing plate which has the whole assembly. Hardly any more $ than just replacing the shoes and a lot easier.
I find a head light is much easier to use than a flashlight. The flashlight is hard to position in the right place to shine on the star wheel.

I've heard the Nev R Adjust brakes require backing up to adjust. Is this the case? If not, how do they automatically adjust?
Old 05-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I find a head light is much easier to use than a flashlight. The flashlight is hard to position in the right place to shine on the star wheel.

I've heard the Nev R Adjust brakes require backing up to adjust. Is this the case? If not, how do they automatically adjust?
Head light sounds good; will have to remember to use mine.

Escape trailers do not come with Nev R Adjust and the standard brakes need adjustment. If one later switches to Nev R Adjust as I will when time for new shoes then etrailer has this answer to a question about them:

https://www.etrailer.com/question-13954.html

I just put in dust plugs; hoping to keep a bit more junk out of the hub:

Bought more than I wanted; will be handing some out to the next lucky Escape folks I meet out there Couldn't find smaller quantities for less, although am sure they exist somewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Head light sounds good; will have to remember to use mine.

Escape trailers do not come with Nev R Adjust and the standard brakes need adjustment. If one later switches to Nev R Adjust as I will when time for new shoes then etrailer has this answer to a question about them:

I just put in dust plugs; hoping to keep a bit more junk out of the hub:

Bought more than I wanted; will be handing some out to the next lucky Escape folks I meet out there Couldn't find smaller quantities for less, although am sure they exist somewhere.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Ross I sure could use the dust plugs that I don't have . Pat. will pay for postage and can e-mail the address
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:48 PM   #32

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
No, my understanding is that they do not require backing up. Apparently if there is excess slack, they take up one notch of it with each brake application. The Dexter brochure just says
Quote:
Nev-R-Adjust brakes automatically adjust to proper clearances during travel allowing you to stop with confidence.
There's also a video which one might hope would be helpful, but other than using the subtitle "forward self-adjusting" it doesn't explain anything at all. It does repeatedly zoom in on a diagonal link which is not in the normal non-self-adjusting mechanism.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:58 PM   #33

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
If one later switches to Nev R Adjust as I will when time for new shoes then etrailer has this answer to a question about them:

The eTrailer entry doesn't explain much, but it seems to be suggesting that these brakes be manually adjusted to close to the right setting, so that the automatic adjustment only needs to keep up with wear. It might take many stops for the automatic mechanism to take up installation slack; my guess is that it only moves one tooth of the adjuster star wheel per brake application.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Ross I sure could use the dust plugs that I don't have . Pat. will pay for postage and can e-mail the address
Done! Email me where to send. Your instructions for fitmant of door with new hinges was just what one would expect from a master carpenter! Thanks again.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Done! Email me where to send. Your instructions for fitmant of door with new hinges was just what one would expect from a master carpenter! Thanks again.
Your Welcome Ross . E-mail sent . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:46 PM   #36

Trailer: No RV
I am very happy to report I just purchased a used 2009 Escape 19 right here in my home state of Maine. The brakes were rusted and stuck on, I managed to pull the drums off and remove the brakes and all the little pieces of rusted parts and packed the bearings and brought her home no problem. How do I know which brakes, not pads but everything to purchase, I don’t care much about auto adjusting, just brakes like the originals, unless auto adjust is easy to understand installation. It’s been 40 years since I did drum brakes but I’m sure it will all come back, Thanks for everything, you are so much help to me.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 06:10 PM   #37

Find a Dexter dealer. Buy the complete set including the backing plates magnet, shoes etc they are for 10 inch diameter drums by 2 1/4 inch Shoes. The backing nuts (4) are 11/16 inch. Use an offset box end wrench. The new brakes will have about a 10 inch wire pigtail. The split
Weather coating will reveal the original splice. Which wire to which wire does not matter. I like to slide a crimpable, heat shrink connector on, then solder my splice splice, crimp then connector and then heat shrink it. Keeps corrosion to a minimum and you’ll have good continuity through the splice. Adjust the brakes out once installed and go for a ride following your installation and burnish them in according to the Dexter instructions. Once burnished in, check your adjustment and after they won’t spin, back them off a couple notches and spin the tire and wheel. It should spin freely but due to not being perfectly round you will hear “Ching, Ching, Ching as the high spot on the show makes contact with the low spot on the drum. You ought to be real close. Put some penetrating oil on the four nuts the night before. Good Luck
Iowa Dave
Old 10-14-2020, 06:25 PM   #38

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
I am very happy to report I just purchased a used 2009 Escape 19 right here in my home state of Maine. The brakes were rusted and stuck on, I managed to pull the drums off and remove the brakes and all the little pieces of rusted parts and packed the bearings and brought her home no problem. How do I know which brakes, not pads but everything to purchase, I don’t care much about auto adjusting, just brakes like the originals, unless auto adjust is easy to understand installation. It’s been 40 years since I did drum brakes but I’m sure it will all come back, Thanks for everything, you are so much help to me.
Personally I would just do whole new assemblies.

Standard:
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...hoCiE8QAvD_BwE

Nev-R-Adjust:
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Bra...ll-description
Old 10-14-2020, 06:39 PM   #39

Dexter parts are pricey. At etrailer 4 backing plates will run you $300. Then you should replace the drums too and they are $104 each. So that's $716. I did my brakes recently and spent $400 total for Redline self adjust at Redneck Trailer and Lippert drums from Amazon. They work great- just got back from a 4K mile trip.

Definitely use B'laster on the bolts or you my strip the splines they attach to (no nuts used) and it will be very difficult. I had one do that and it was a bit of a bear with vice grips.

Don't forget to burnish- and if using self adjusting(very happy with them) watch Lippert's video on how to burnish in. Then- you will have to do one initial manual adjust in the beginning then you'll be all set.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:40 PM   #40

You will want to buy two lefts and two rights. The right side is as if you are standing behind the Escape and is your right. This is just as it is in all machinery.
Except for manure spreaders. Nobody wants to stand behind one of those. It’s also the only piece of farm machinery you can’t get a guarantee on. For the same reason.
Iowa Dave