Trailer brakes on 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2017, 09:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Trailer brakes on 19

Could someone inform me about my 2016 Escape 19 brakes. Are they self-adjusting ? I'm heading out on Tuesday and am going through the escape manual but haven't found the definitive answer. Do I have to get dirty and check the adjustment myself??
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:48 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
They require adjustment. If you are handy at all a brake adjustment isn't hard. Jack up a wheel using your favorite method- don't place a jack under the axle. I like the Trailer Aid, although you can shim up a "normal" ramp to get the other wheel enough in the air to spin. Then crawl underneath with a large flatblade screw driver. There are two slots on the back of the hub. The one towards the rear has the star wheel. Click it up until it stops then back it off 7 clicks. May need a flashlight to see better.

When it is time for brakes will upgrade to Nev R Adjust; a mere $10 more than a standard backing plate which has the whole assembly. Hardly any more $ than just replacing the shoes and a lot easier.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Thanks Rossue, I'll be on that in the morning. The manual for Dexter axle does say that most of their 12 1/4 " brakes have a self adjusting feature. I guess I won't know for sure until I get under there. Thanks again
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 10:21 PM   #4

The brakes on the 3500 #10 Torflex are 10". When you spin the wheel after adjustment you should feel some drag from the magnets.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Simply Google "adjusting electric trailer brakes" and you will come up with all sorts of how to videos.
Old 05-14-2017, 01:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
With any luck, the trailer came with a manual for the axle, but even if not it is available online from Dexter Axle:
Light Duty 600-8K Complete Service Manual (LIT-001-00), or just
Light Duty Electric Brakes (adjustment is on page 13).

You should have Torflex #10 axles with standard (not self-adjusting, no parking feature) 10" x 2¼" electric drum brakes. The parts are all shown in the catalog.

Whether is it you, someone you pay, or a handy friend or relative, someone is doing the adjustment manually.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:21 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Brakes

Here's my take, adjusting your own brakes builds character, uses muscles you haven't used for a while, gives you a chance to inspect the belly of your Escape, gives you a sense of accomplishment, and saves you money. Then when done, you have a reason to reward yourself. I like a brake adjusting tool over a screwdriver. About $6 at any good auto parts store. YMMV as Donna says.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:43 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Here's my take, adjusting your own brakes builds character, uses muscles you haven't used for a while, gives you a chance to inspect the belly of your Escape, gives you a sense of accomplishment, and saves you money. Then when done, you have a reason to reward yourself. I like a brake adjusting tool over a screwdriver. About $6 at any good auto parts store. YMMV as Donna says.
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... "Thems the brakes"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:10 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Dave
With such a rah-rah endorsement for doing your own brakes it makes me want to rush out and do mine. No, wait, I just did them last week.

I agree, a brake adjusting tool is better than a screwdriver.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #10

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
With such a rah-rah endorsement for doing your own brakes it makes me want to rush out and do mine. No, wait, I just did them last week.

Ron
heck..don't even own a trailer yet but after reading Dave's post..it makes one want to run down the street screwdriver in hand and find a neighbors trailer to learn to do it on!
might even spring for the brake adjusting tool before getting the trailer..you can never have enough tools!
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Attitude

When you grow up the son of a Third Armored Tanker, in a gas station in the Midwest, with limited funds and unlimited time, and you tortured brakes like we did, you realize how good we have it now and the importance of staying connected to the past in any way possible. I remember my dad putting me in the front seat of cars and lifting the hoist up so he could bleed the brakes on cars we were doing brake service on. I'd push down on the brake pedal on his direction, Good he'd bark out. Again Good one more time for Omar (Bradley) ok coming down. Once back on the ground he'd say " You realize that's as close to heaven as you'll ever get don't you? Then I'd drink the top off a Coke and he make himself a toddy with a couple shots of cheap whiskey. I wish Coke was still cola and a joint a bad place to be. (Merle)
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:50 AM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: Iowa Dave... First/last time I ever helped bleed the brakes I found out I was pumping the "Clutch"!!! Never again. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:39 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
Hi Ron exactly what I have for going back to doing my old Chevy's and Ford's . Nicer to use , wider and correct bend that you don't have with a screwdriver . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #14

Character building references and homilies aside (have plenty of great ones with my ole man too) there are a lot of newbies out there who didn't have the same experiences yet they need to know it isn't a matter of if but when you're going to need to do this. Taking it in to a shop is PITA (and maybe worse by having a rush job by someone who thinks they're doing you a big favor). When new the trailer brakes should be adjusted after 500 miles or so. Thereafter at least as often as servicing bearings. Otherwise you might start locking up tires (especially the fronts)as there gets to be too much play and the magnets grabbing hold will throw the shoe farther out resulting in sudden grabbing.

It's no big deal to do and although I too own a brake adjusting tool my long flatblade screwdriver with nice wooden handle gives me a better feel of how many clicks the star wheel is turning which is only important when backing it 7 clicks off after being closed. Of course you can do it by feel too, however to me that is more guesswork. As others so eloquently say YMMV.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #15

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Trailer brakes on 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Ron exactly what I have for going back to doing my old Chevy's and Ford's . Nicer to use , wider and correct bend that you don't have with a screwdriver . Pat
Picture of adjusting tool I case some were wondering Pat
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0148.jpg   IMG_0149.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I first time I replaced my own brakes, it was in Alameda,Ca on base in the garage. When done, I was so proud of my handiwork that I jumped in the vehicle while it was still in the air and immediately pushed the brake pedal down, it was then I realized I had not put the drums back. I had to take my 66 Mustang to the local brake shop and get 4 new wheel cylinders the next day....lesson learned.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:12 PM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
When you grow up the son of a Third Armored Tanker, in a gas station in the Midwest, with limited funds and unlimited time, and you tortured brakes like we did, you realize how good we have it now and the importance of staying connected to the past in any way possible. I remember my dad putting me in the front seat of cars and lifting the hoist up so he could bleed the brakes on cars we were doing brake service on. I'd push down on the brake pedal on his direction, Good he'd bark out. Again Good one more time for Omar (Bradley) ok coming down. Once back on the ground he'd say " You realize that's as close to heaven as you'll ever get don't you? Then I'd drink the top off a Coke and he make himself a toddy with a couple shots of cheap whiskey. I wish Coke was still cola and a joint a bad place to be. (Merle)
Dave

Makes me want to come out to Iowa and hear some stories over a few beers. Myself and many of the mechanical engineers I know grew up working on cars. Brakes, clutches, transmissions, occasional engine, lift kits, tune ups for friends. My father is pretty handy but had a friend Wacky Jack that worked for General Motors. He could do anything and had a garage to envy full of Snap-on. Also a few neighbors on the block restoring cars. One built a street truck and a Chevelle on custom frames in a one car garage that were featured in major magazines. Working on an old Vette now. It seemed like a bit of a pain at the time to do all your own work to keep an old Jeep on the road as a young guy but boy did I learn a lot. Makes me think I need to get an old truck in a few years to restore with my young son just to give his some perspective.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:59 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yeppers, my dad and myself, well more him, restored a 1933 Ford in our one car garage. Eventually I got to drive it....fond memories.
Old 05-15-2017, 02:34 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yeppers, my dad and myself, well more him, restored a 1933 Ford in our one car garage. Eventually I got to drive it....fond memories.
For the car enthusiasts out there here are the builds that I've been fortunate to witness. Incredible.

1946 Chevy Pickup - One Bay Wonder - Hot Rod Network
Indisputable - 1946 Chevy Pickup - Hand Built - Truckin Magazine
One-Car Garage Wonder - Hot Rod Network
1967 Chevrolet Corvette - Tube Vette Boogie
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:38 AM   #20

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I didn't know trailer brakes need adjusting never done that on my trailer or on my horse trailer they both seem to work well?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote