Trailer in storage = re: batteries - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-21-2015, 12:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 17B
Trailer in storage = re: batteries

I have a 2013 Escape 17B with solar panels on top, connected to two batteries on the back of the trailer. I’m going to put the trailer into storage for five months. I don’t want the batteries to run down (both have been replaced since I bought the trailer new).
Two questions before it goes into storage:
1. Should I disconnect the positive cable from each battery?
2. Should I switch OFF the master electric switch (located just under the dinette seat)?
Thanks for any good suggestions
cyclopath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I don't know about disconnecting the positive but you should turn the master switch OFF to eliminate any phantom pull on the battery. The most I've stored my trailer (under cover) was three months and still had 13.2 volts on board when I hitched up to pull 'er home.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:34 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you turn off the master switch inside it should eliminate any drain but still allow solar to work. If it is inside storage without sun exposure, the disconnect the batteries, negative first is the preferred order.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
If you turn off the master switch inside it should eliminate any drain but still allow solar to work. If it is inside storage without sun exposure, the disconnect the batteries, negative first is the preferred order.
I agree, but make sure the solar is still working. I've left batteries for several months and they've been OK and I've left batteries for several months and they never regained the ability to take a full charge. So, definitely, if the you have the ability to keep them charged with solar, use it.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:23 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Make sure they are fully charged when you disconnect them.
Old 03-21-2015, 02:56 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I don't see any point in disconnecting the batteries if there is a working solar system otherwise available. If you are going to disconnect, you only need to remove one cable, assuming this is a normal dual-battery installation consisting of two 6-volt batteries. They are connected in series so the same current flows through each battery and cable: disconnect at either terminal of either battery and current flow is completely interrupted.

If you are going to touch battery terminals to disconnect cables then it is inherently safer to disconnect the negative cable than either the positive cable or the connection between the batteries, due to reduced risk of accidentally making contact between points at different voltages and getting a shock.

If you plan on regularly disconnecting batteries, it would be more convenient and safer to install a switch for that purpose, or the style of battery terminal hardware that comes apart by turning a knob (no wrench required). I would probably use one of these: Keyed Battery Master Cut-Off Switch Only $8, available under various brands at many stores of many kinds (hardware, automotive, RV...) handles all the current required, could be mounted at the battery or through the battery box or in the interior of the trailer, and worked fine in my race car. Fancier versions are readily available.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote