Trailer Tires Rotation - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-20-2016, 11:40 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Posts: 242
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Trailer Tires Rotation

Hello forum members,
I would like to know if trailer tires need to be rotated every 5-7.5 thousand miles similar to towing vehicles. If tires rotatation are recommended, do you switch the position of rear tire and the front tire or rotate 2 tires to the opposite side of the trailer. Thanks.

Tonny LR
__________________

Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Posts: 2,283
Front to back, but NOT side to side.
__________________

__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2016 Tacoma, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:55 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Port Angeles, Washington
Trailer: 2014 19'
Posts: 532
Time to go out and look at the tires

Directional Tread Pattern:
• Usually has a V-shaped pattern and sidewalls are marked with tire rotation direction
• Must be mounted in the same rotation direction marked on the sidewalls
• If all four tires are the same size, directional tires can only be rotated vertically (front-back)

Symmetrical Tread Pattern:
• Usually has a continuous rib or block design with the same features on both inner and outer tread
• Wavy pattern
• If all four tires are the same size, symmetrical tires can be rotated diagonally, horizontally, or vertically

Asymmetric Tread Pattern:
• Have unique patterns on both sides of the tread. Outer tread usually has larger grooves for better water dispersion and increased wet handling while inner tread usually has smaller grooves to increase contact area and improve grip
• Sidewall markings identifying inner and outer side of tire
• If all four tires are the same size, asymmetric tires can be rotated the same way as symmetrical tires with care given to the inner and outer tire markings
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,675
My tires are rotated every time I go camping......
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Posts: 242
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Thank you guys for the info. I appreciated you all.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 05:30 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 1,442
Rotating trailer tires is a waste of time, and if you pay someone to do it, also a waste of money.
__________________
Carl
2015 F150 2.7 EcoBoost (Big Spot)
2015 5.0TA (Little Elsie)
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:09 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Signal Mountain (Chattanooga), Tennessee
Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2016 Ram Eco-diesel 4WD Crew
Posts: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Hello forum members,
I would like to know if trailer tires need to be rotated every 5-7.5 thousand miles similar to towing vehicles. If tires rotatation are recommended, do you switch the position of rear tire and the front tire or rotate 2 tires to the opposite side of the trailer. Thanks.

Tonny LR
We have over 20,000 miles on our 21'. I think I didn't have the Andersen weight distributing hitch mounted just right, so there seemed to be a little more wear on the rears. So I rotated ours including the spare--same side, just front to back. Based on the moderate wear, I expect to see 40,000 miles, but we travel a lot. I do a lot of my own maintenance, so there was no expense. I'll probably do it again after the May and June travels, but not on a tight schedule of 5,000 to 7,500 like I do the cars.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 10:42 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
Posts: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
We have over 20,000 miles on our 21'. I think I didn't have the Andersen weight distributing hitch mounted just right, so there seemed to be a little more wear on the rears. So I rotated ours including the spare--same side, just front to back. Based on the moderate wear, I expect to see 40,000 miles, but we travel a lot. I do a lot of my own maintenance, so there was no expense. I'll probably do it again after the May and June travels, but not on a tight schedule of 5,000 to 7,500 like I do the cars.
Bill
Keep in mind tire age is critical. If the 40,000 miles is accumulated within a 4 to 5 year period, it wouldn't be a waste of time to rotate the tires as you describe, and I would use a 10,000-12,000 mile interval. But if it takes 4 or 5 years to get to the point where you are noting more wear on the front or rear trailer tires, they should be rotated to the tire graveyard and be replaced with a fresh new set.
__________________
Carl
2015 F150 2.7 EcoBoost (Big Spot)
2015 5.0TA (Little Elsie)
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 05:53 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
padlin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southwick, Massachusetts
Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Posts: 3,839
I had asked ETI a while back, as Jon states, it's front to back. I do them when it's snow tire time and have all the stuff out, no idea on mileage.
__________________
Happy Motoring
Bob
padlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 07:45 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Posts: 242
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Keep in mind tire age is critical. If the 40,000 miles is accumulated within a 4 to 5 year period, it wouldn't be a waste of time to rotate the tires as you describe, and I would use a 10,000-12,000 mile interval. But if it takes 4 or 5 years to get to the point where you are noting more wear on the front or rear trailer tires, they should be rotated to the tire graveyard and be replaced with a fresh new set.
Rotate trailer tires every 10,000-12,000 miles appears to be a good measure to keep tires wearing evenly.
__________________

Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.