Trailer Tires Rotation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Trailer Tires Rotation

Hello forum members,
I would like to know if trailer tires need to be rotated every 5-7.5 thousand miles similar to towing vehicles. If tires rotatation are recommended, do you switch the position of rear tire and the front tire or rotate 2 tires to the opposite side of the trailer. Thanks.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Front to back, but NOT side to side.
Old 01-20-2016, 11:55 AM   #3

Trailer: 2014 19'
Time to go out and look at the tires

Directional Tread Pattern:
• Usually has a V-shaped pattern and sidewalls are marked with tire rotation direction
• Must be mounted in the same rotation direction marked on the sidewalls
• If all four tires are the same size, directional tires can only be rotated vertically (front-back)

Symmetrical Tread Pattern:
• Usually has a continuous rib or block design with the same features on both inner and outer tread
• Wavy pattern
• If all four tires are the same size, symmetrical tires can be rotated diagonally, horizontally, or vertically

Asymmetric Tread Pattern:
• Have unique patterns on both sides of the tread. Outer tread usually has larger grooves for better water dispersion and increased wet handling while inner tread usually has smaller grooves to increase contact area and improve grip
• Sidewall markings identifying inner and outer side of tire
• If all four tires are the same size, asymmetric tires can be rotated the same way as symmetrical tires with care given to the inner and outer tire markings
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My tires are rotated every time I go camping......
Old 01-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #5

Thank you guys for the info. I appreciated you all.

Tonny LR
Old 01-20-2016, 04:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Rotating trailer tires is a waste of time, and if you pay someone to do it, also a waste of money.
Old 01-20-2016, 09:09 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
Hello forum members,
I would like to know if trailer tires need to be rotated every 5-7.5 thousand miles similar to towing vehicles. If tires rotatation are recommended, do you switch the position of rear tire and the front tire or rotate 2 tires to the opposite side of the trailer. Thanks.

Tonny LR
We have over 20,000 miles on our 21'. I think I didn't have the Andersen weight distributing hitch mounted just right, so there seemed to be a little more wear on the rears. So I rotated ours including the spare--same side, just front to back. Based on the moderate wear, I expect to see 40,000 miles, but we travel a lot. I do a lot of my own maintenance, so there was no expense. I'll probably do it again after the May and June travels, but not on a tight schedule of 5,000 to 7,500 like I do the cars.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:42 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
We have over 20,000 miles on our 21'. I think I didn't have the Andersen weight distributing hitch mounted just right, so there seemed to be a little more wear on the rears. So I rotated ours including the spare--same side, just front to back. Based on the moderate wear, I expect to see 40,000 miles, but we travel a lot. I do a lot of my own maintenance, so there was no expense. I'll probably do it again after the May and June travels, but not on a tight schedule of 5,000 to 7,500 like I do the cars.
Bill
Keep in mind tire age is critical. If the 40,000 miles is accumulated within a 4 to 5 year period, it wouldn't be a waste of time to rotate the tires as you describe, and I would use a 10,000-12,000 mile interval. But if it takes 4 or 5 years to get to the point where you are noting more wear on the front or rear trailer tires, they should be rotated to the tire graveyard and be replaced with a fresh new set.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:53 AM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I had asked ETI a while back, as Jon states, it's front to back. I do them when it's snow tire time and have all the stuff out, no idea on mileage.
Old 01-21-2016, 06:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Keep in mind tire age is critical. If the 40,000 miles is accumulated within a 4 to 5 year period, it wouldn't be a waste of time to rotate the tires as you describe, and I would use a 10,000-12,000 mile interval. But if it takes 4 or 5 years to get to the point where you are noting more wear on the front or rear trailer tires, they should be rotated to the tire graveyard and be replaced with a fresh new set.
Rotate trailer tires every 10,000-12,000 miles appears to be a good measure to keep tires wearing evenly.
Old 01-21-2016, 09:15 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Tire wear

On our 19, a 2010, we have about 45,000 miles on the tires. I have rotated them front to back without incorporation of the spare three times in our 23,000+ miles. Current tread depth is 2@ 5/32, 1@4 / 32 and the right rear scuffer @ 3/32. I'm going to put new ones on in the next couple of weeks. I'm easy on tires and brakes, always have been. I believe religious tire pressure monitoring is paramount to good tread life. I snug my bearings pretty tight , then back the castellated nut off to the first hole, then check after the first couple days towing when I am backing up onto the 2X6. No play, no wobble is very important too. Just my thoughts and what works for me.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote