transmission temperature - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Tacoma Off Road, 2017 21
Towing my 17B at 3100 lbs with a 2010 RAV4 Sport (V6 & tow package), the transmission temperature generally runs a bit over 200F in hilly roads & summer temperatures. The highest it has ever reached was pulling to the top of Cedar Breaks National Monument - 266F (beautiful, but I recommend you drop the trailer before the climb). The transmission overheat lamp never came on.

Synthetic fluid, official change at 100,000 miles but I changed it every 30,000 miles. I had the color checked by Toyota at every oil change & they never said it needed changing. No problems at 134,000 miles when I switched to a Tacoma. I'm getting my Scangauge II firmware updated so I can track the Tacoma's transmission temperature.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Towing my 17B at 3100 lbs with a 2010 RAV4 Sport (V6 & tow package), the transmission temperature generally runs a bit over 200F in hilly roads & summer temperatures. The highest it has ever reached was pulling to the top of Cedar Breaks National Monument - 266F (beautiful, but I recommend you drop the trailer before the climb). The transmission overheat lamp never came on.

Synthetic fluid, official change at 100,000 miles but I changed it every 30,000 miles. I had the color checked by Toyota at every oil change & they never said it needed changing. No problems at 134,000 miles when I switched to a Tacoma. I'm getting my Scangauge II firmware updated so I can track the Tacoma's transmission temperature.

See your PM and before "SOMEBODY" comes in here spouting off about that which they do not know but Googled. Ask Toyota for their specs on the fluid they use and at what temp things start to break down etc.

Cypher

Old 06-19-2016, 03:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post

That was a tough pull in our GMC Acadia towing our 19'. Only tougher climb was going into the Black Canyon of the Gunneson! For either one, we turned off air conditioning and kept our speed down. By the time you get to the top of these pulls, you feel as wiped as the vehicle!!!
Old 06-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #14
T&R

Trailer: "Olaf" 2015 21'..... 2015 Tundra CrewMax
Send off the old fluid to Blackstone Labs for analysis and you may have a better idea if your change intervals are within reason and if the fluid is breaking down or not.

Blackstone Labs
T&R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #15

Trailer: None
The normal (design ) temperature for my 2014 Ram ZF 8 speed transmission is 190 deg F and may rise to 240 to 250 Deg F when towing in hot weather . The newer transmissions run hotter than the older transmissions . I remember years ago driving at temps of 40 to 50 below zero and having the transmission stuck in first gear for the first 5 miles and then shifting sluggishly , no longer have those issues with the newer transmissions. There is a reason that most vehicles come with synthetic lubricants , they allow higher operating temps and better fuel economy. Many people are still in the 3000 mile oil change mentality.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Finally got some info from GM today. The tranny temp on my Sierra should run 82 - 93 C (200 F), but the high temp message doesn't come on until 132 C (270 F). Looks like I shouldn't be too concerned when it hits 93.

Jack

bouterse is online now   Reply With Quote