Travel in winter - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2014, 06:02 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The awning is really made for shade not rain protection as rain normally means storms.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:16 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The awning is really made for shade not rain protection as rain normally means storms.
I have to disagree on the latter part of this. We have spent MANY a rainstorm with a crowd gathered under our awning, so we could continue to socialize, while enjoying the great outdoors. I have even just sat with my wife under the awning, while the rain is pouring down, enjoying the dryness while watching Mother Nature at her finest. Otherwise, one would be forced to go inside to keep dry. The awning also keeps all our coats, shoes, stove, table, beer cases, etc, dry when raining.

On the rare occasion the wind is blowing hard to, we must sometimes give in to escaping inside, but the awning still stays up. I put two 12" galvanized spikes at an angle into each foot of the awning legs.

We do use it a lot for shade as well, as it helps keep the trailer cool in the hot sun.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 07:23 AM   #23

I was implying that you normally would not use your awning unattended in rain storms, wind gusts while absent can cause a lot of damage. Also your warranty does not cover any water damage caused by use during rain.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:25 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The one time I opened my awning we left it open and took off for several hours exploring up into the mountains. It was a lovely sunny day. When we returned it was still a lovely sunny day but our awning had been rolled back up. (?) Turns out Corrales Dave, who we were camping with, saw a sudden storm blowing in while we were gone and rushed over to roll it up. If not for him, coulda been bad. Lesson learned.
Old 11-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #25

I guess we are blessed around here, that there is no issue with big storms then. We see lots of rain, but not much for wind with it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-14-2014, 09:21 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
The one time I opened my awning we left it open and took off for several hours exploring up into the mountains. It was a lovely sunny day. When we returned it was still a lovely sunny day but our awning had been rolled back up. (?) Turns out Corrales Dave, who we were camping with, saw a sudden storm blowing in while we were gone and rushed over to roll it up. If not for him, coulda been bad. Lesson learned.
While staying at Cape Hatteras many moons ago we were at the beach and saw a thunderstorm brewing over the ocean. Got back to our HiLo as it was cutting loose. Wife and I tried to hold the awning as there was no time to roll it up. Lifted us both off the ground and ended up flopped over roof. lesson learned.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:32 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
no issue with big storms then. We see lots of rain, but not much for wind with it.
This surprises me, Jim. I would have guessed you'd be dealing with afternoon thunderstorms in the summer, with accompanying winds...

We were in Dinosaur last summer, and a thunderstorm hit while we were touring up near Drumheller. We had put the awning away, but lost a BBQ cover that we had left out. (for those "not from 'round here", Dinosaur provincial park is about 4 hours east of Calgary)

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:31 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The powered awning on our motorhome (no, not an Escape, but bear with me) has a sensor which determines when to automatically retract due to wind. I note that it is not a moisture sensor.

I find the awning very helpful in rain, especially annoying drizzle.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 01:59 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Ya'll should have gotten a 5.0 if you have awning issues. I've got one built it! I just sit under the loft, me and my lawn chair and a small table. Unless the wind is really blowing sideways I stay nice and dry.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ya'll should have gotten a 5.0 if you have awning issues. I've got one built it! I just sit under the loft, me and my lawn chair and a small table. Unless the wind is really blowing sideways I stay nice and dry.
I tried that on BlackJack but got stuck......
Old 11-15-2014, 01:46 AM   #31

Trailer: 2013 17B, 2011 Honda Ridgeline
Seems to me that when travelling in winter, you would have heat on overnight in the trailer which keep would keep the lines and taps unthawed. The few hours towing between stops and heat I would think would not suffice to freeze the plumbing? The black and grey tanks would have to be emptied but again while using the trailer much liquid going into those tanks is warm. So why would I be overly concerned as long as the trailer doesn't sit protracted periods in sub zero ( or less than 32) temps? Has anyone experienced plumbing failures due to freezing?
bolerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:00 AM   #32

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Quote:
Originally Posted by bolerfan View Post
Seems to me that when travelling in winter, you would have heat on overnight in the trailer which keep would keep the lines and taps unthawed. The few hours towing between stops and heat I would think would not suffice to freeze the plumbing? The black and grey tanks would have to be emptied but again while using the trailer much liquid going into those tanks is warm. So why would I be overly concerned as long as the trailer doesn't sit protracted periods in sub zero ( or less than 32) temps? Has anyone experienced plumbing failures due to freezing?
Windchill !!
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:20 AM   #33

Windchill has no effect on inanimate objects.
Objects and Air Temperature
The National Weather Service Forecast Office explains that objects, such as metal, cannot be cooled beyond the temperature of the air, regardless of wind chill. For example, an inanimate object that is exposed to cold air and low temperatures may become cold rapidly, but unlike people or animals, it is not possible for the inanimate object to be stripped of internal heat. However, some exceptions do apply.

Read more : Does Wind Chill Affect Objects Like Metal? | eHow
Old 11-15-2014, 07:21 AM   #34

In addition the sloshing of the contents while traveling will also prevent freezing, moving water takes more cold than still water to freeze.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:42 AM   #35

Trailer: 19'
Is there any problem driving with the furnace on?

I suppose people with heat pads could drive with them on, using 12V (if not driving for an extended time and depleting batteries)?
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #36

Quote:
In addition the sloshing of the contents while traveling will also prevent freezing, moving water takes more cold than still water to freeze.
Actually, the opposite is true. Sloshing about will allow the water to contact the sides of the container, which are usually colder than the water itself, drawing heat energy out of the water via conduction.

Running water, as in a hose, continues to draw heat from the new water feeding through the hose. Streams that seem to take longer to freeze, are actually drawing heat from the other pockets of water, or even the ground underneath to keep it a bit warmer.

I know we discussed cooling before, but it is not the addition of cold that makes things cooler, it is the removal of heat. Again, the wise words of my thermodynamics instructor, which easily explains the way to look at this. "There is no such thing as cold, just an absence of heat"
Old 11-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #37

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Windchill has no effect on inanimate objects.
Read more : Does Wind Chill Affect Objects Like Metal? | eHow[/I]
Thanks, but the article is of very poor quality. The author apparently doesn't even know the difference between heat and temperature - that's okay for the average person, but not for someone claiming to communicate expertise in thermodynamics.

It doesn't matter to heat transfer whether an object is living (animate) or inanimate. The auther did pick up the concept of having an internal heat source, then came to some strange conclusions that don't make sense.

Moving the heat transfer medium (air in the case of the outside of our tanks) causes heat to transfer faster: the tanks eventual temperature isn't any lower, but they get there faster.

Winchill is a formula intended to suggest how quickly exposed skin cools. Despite the babble in the article, wind over a person is not able to chill them (or a waste tank, or anything else) below the ambient temperature. Saying the windcill is -30 degrees when the temperature is -20 degrees but it's windy doesn't mean exposed skin will ever get to -30 degrees... only that the skin will loose heat about as fast as with an ambient temperature of -30 degrees and still air.

So yes, the rush of air under a moving trailer will chill the warm tanks toward the cold ambient temperature faster than sitting still.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:32 PM   #38

Trailer: 19'
Brian, what is the story on driving with the furnace operating? A-ok?
jamie beers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:42 PM   #39

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
We have driven with the furnace on before (by accident). On the other hand it is sure nice to arrive somewhere and the trailer is nice and warm...

Doug
Old 11-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 15B Escape Trailer
Thanks for the advice! We made it home safe and sound. Had a great time traveling along the Oregon and California coast. Pictures to follow soon!
California Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote