Travelling with dogs -- how do you manage? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2010, 09:01 PM   #41

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Re: Travelling with dogs -- how do you manage?

Yup, I saw the photos, the way I thought I understood it this cabinet was thinner, and thus (I guessed, maybe incorrectly) that it would actually open things up a bit, not create a "cave" effect.

No worries. I'll figure it all out eventually.

~e
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE

A picture may be worth a thousand words, but you really need to be there to get the full experience, assuming seeing is believing.

I can't say one way or the other, but I can say that when I'm on a fishing trip with a buddy, I give him the double bed and I sleep on the single, with my head on the driver side, in my little cave. So, I'd think that a taller wardrobe would create a cave-effect on the passenger side as well.

What I'd really like is the open feeling of the four-seat front dinette on the 19.

baglo

Old 08-24-2010, 10:24 PM   #43

Thanks for all the input Escapee Gang.....I really like the looks of the modified tall cabinet, but you are right Baglo and Eric T about the counter area...I think I would need that more than the actual cupboard space. Thanks Paulw for all the info too. I am getting the gaucho bunk option in my trailer and was thinking that the tall cabinet would fit well as I plan on leaving the bunk up most times. What would really work well maybe is having the top cabinet rest on the counter and then up to the ceiling....this way I would still have a bit of counter. Floor space is not an issue for me. Hmmmm more thinking....
eskap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:06 AM   #44
tao

I had my lower cabinet reduced to the same depth as the upper cabinet (plumb with upper), which is what I believe Jeff had done with his. I had this done to make sitting on the dinnette seat and putting on boots easier. The difference on mine is I kept it the same height as the standard lower cabinet, this allows me to still have a counter. I agree with Baglo, the counter is important and is in constant use, I would not opt out of that space.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #45

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Hi Elizabeth,
Sorry for the delay in my response. My father, who will be 94 on Friday has been having problems, and my siblings and I are caring for him. His internet cost went up $2.00 a month a few years back so he cut it off, and I am trying to decide whether to get a data card or to get a smartphone and tether. I am looking forward to showing off my "Suite Escape". You can also check out zimodecast.com for September 2008 where Jeff compares different fgrv's and one other small travel trailer.
In any event, I would agree that a 17' would be more comfortable with your pooches. One possibility (which would lose some storage and counter space) would be to extend the passenger side front dinette bench to the door and let the dogs rest on top. Another (I hope they don't scalp me for this idea), would be to have the wall and roof reinforced and hang a ceiling cabinet down to the height of the bench, allowing your critter to be underneath. That would give a lot more floor space. From their size, I don't think that losing the lower portion of the wardrobe and putting legs on it, would work as well. One thing, I do know is the willingness to accommodate is one of the factors (along with quality) that make the Escape outstanding!
Old 08-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #46

Trailer: 2016 5.0 TA on the way

Here's a hypothetical question regarding dogs and 5th wheels (Escape 5.0):

We like to camp with one or both of our large dogs. Typically, they travel in their kennel in the bed of my truck. If we get the 5.0, would we still have room for the kennel next to the hitch? Does it make sense for the dogs to travel in their kennel in the trailer itself (assuming the weather isn't hot)?

Thanks!
Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:24 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout
Here's a hypothetical question regarding dogs and 5th wheels (Escape 5.0):

We like to camp with one or both of our large dogs. Typically, they travel in their kennel in the bed of my truck. If we get the 5.0, would we still have room for the kennel next to the hitch? Does it make sense for the dogs to travel in their kennel in the trailer itself (assuming the weather isn't hot)?

Thanks!
One of the reason's I prefer our 17B (maybe someday a 19' if we ever need a larger bed) is that I would not want to give up being able to have the enclosed space the topper makes of our truck bed.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #48

Based on a brief foray inside our 17' Casita, it rode ROUGH! I don't know about the Escape, but I would be very cautious about subjecting our pups to that kind of bouncing around.

Our dogs always travel in the extended cab portion of our little Ranger. The three of them eventually settle down, and end up sleeping on each other; or two sleep and the third keeps watch to ensure we are driving properly. We are going to miss the storage space when the capper is removed and the 5th wheel installed, but I plan on storing a lot of the more rugged *stuff* in rubbermaid totes packed around the 5th wheel installation. We're having it installed next week, so I will be able to work out the logistics then.

Dave (three weeks and counting)
Old 08-25-2010, 11:43 PM   #49

Sorry that I didn't keep up with the thread we we're in Santa Barbara for week and just got back tonight.. The mod we did really was to give our dog more room to turn around and lie down as she was rather big and we also didn't want to stress her out too much as she was 13 at the time. We we definitely glad we made the change. The added benefit was we we're able to stuff more cloths with the shelves rather than the hanger type arrangement.. I think I also had a video of the inside of the trailer with the mod .. http://zimodecast.com/?p=88

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote