Tray for 4.3 Fridge - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2014, 10:46 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Tray for 4.3 Fridge

I have done several mods to our 4.3 fridge and thought I would show some pictures of our latest.

We found the crisper did not work good for us so we removed it and purchased a extra lower shelf for a 6.7 fridge. We then had
RV Widget Works | , (tractors1) make use a tray for the bottom of the fridge. We really like the way it turned out and the quality of their work.

Now that tractors1 has switched from a Casita to Escape maybe they will be coming up with some neat solutions for the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3390.jpg   IMG_3391.jpg  
Old 09-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kountrykamper View Post
I have done several mods to our 4.3 fridge and thought I would show some pictures of our latest.

We found the crisper did not work good for us so we removed it and purchased a extra lower shelf for a 6.7 fridge. We then had
RV Widget Works | , (tractors1) make use a tray for the bottom of the fridge. We really like the way it turned out and the quality of their work.

Now that tractors1 has switched from a Casita to Escape maybe they will be coming up with some neat solutions for the bathroom.
Wifey already has me working on bath items for our 21...

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Very nice . That crisper doesn't work very well and your idea makes more sense.
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:23 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm not sure which frig model the "crisper doesn't work very well" is referring to... I love mine and can't imagine being without it. Glad your solution is working for you! And, that's what ownership is all about... what works for US.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't understand what I'm looking at. What is new?
Old 09-30-2014, 07:43 PM   #6

Donna 4.3 the crisper little door sticks is hard to open and close so been thinking of just removing it .
Old 09-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
we generally find the crisper tray to be awkward (doesn't open and close smoothly), but it is a useful place to put lots of little things that would otherwise take up a lot of shelf space.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
Site Team

I think I need to check out the 4.3 frig. My 6.7 has a "lil" door that flips down and I pull the drawer out. Nothing sticks... hummmm
Old 09-30-2014, 08:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Ours is the 6.7... I'm not sure what you mean by a little door... The drawer slides out, and has a little lid that is supposed to lift as the drawer slides out. But it doesn't move smoothly.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #10

That is what we mean the little door that is supposed to flip up -you have to struggle with to open and close every time which means refrigerator door is opened longer and considering we already have problems trying to keep things cool . Yes we are level ,yes we only put frozen and very cold items in this box , yes we always carry a extra extreme cooler just in case and to keep ice just in case you needed to know that . We have been camping over 30 years and even long time ago in a tent .
Old 09-30-2014, 08:50 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
Ours is the 6.7... I'm not sure what you mean by a little door... The drawer slides out, and has a little lid that is supposed to lift as the drawer slides out. But it doesn't move smoothly.
Mine moves smootly... what can I say?
Old 09-30-2014, 09:17 PM   #12

The 4.3 and 6.7 have the same crisper. They are pretty much the same fridge with the same shelfs except the 6.7 is taller. Tractors1 made and sized this tray in the bottom of the fridge in his 6.7 after we compared measurements to make sure they were the same.

We removed the crisper months ago and like it a lot better. By removing the crisper in our 4.3 and ordering and installing an extra lower shelf for a 6.7 which is a little longer in the back it gives us a lot more room for storage. The crisper has the rear corners cut at 45 degree angles so you loose a lot of room in the back.

The bottom tray keeps things from rolling into the door and will also catch any spills.

We removed the freezer too and it works for US.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:51 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 19'
I started with the crisper lid under the bottom shelf, on the top of the crisper , and it worked horribly.

Then I realized it snaps on top of the bottom shelf and now it works smoothly.

Oh, also, The rear of the crisper should be the tapered end. Somehow I had that backward too which forced the bottom of my door slightly open.... Until I did the light test and saw it too.

Mel
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #14

Hi Klem went out to check just saw your post drawer is put in tapered to rear lid is on top shelf it still works like crap it's going we have enough problems with this frig not dealing with fighting this every time we use it and need to close door . Thanks for trying to help .
Old 10-01-2014, 06:42 AM   #15

This is the part number for the lower shelf that fits either the 4.3 or 6.7 that you use when you remove the crisper if you want a shelf. They run around $60. We got ours through camping world because they were cheaper then Dometic at the time.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0019.jpg  
Old 10-01-2014, 06:47 AM   #16

This is the part number for the upper shelf that you use if you want to remove the freezer section on a 4.3.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0020.jpg  
Old 10-01-2014, 08:29 AM   #17

The crisper lid should snap in the side slots and act as your lower shelf. Then the crisper drawer slides in under it with the tapered end toward the back.

This is the best picture I can find.
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender.jpg  
Old 10-01-2014, 09:53 AM   #18

Hi Kountry Kamper excellent pic of crisper . We want to remove it and put shelf in . Maybe the metal open shelf will help circulating the cold . Have you found that ? Also want the little tray on bottom . Can I order that from tractor 1 ? The freezer we want to keep for now but still may get top shelf . Thankyou for the info . Also noticed it looks like a wired black fan . How did you do that if that is what it is ? You came up with excellent ideas here .
Old 10-01-2014, 11:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Kountry Kamper excellent pic of crisper . We want to remove it and put shelf in . Maybe the metal open shelf will help circulating the cold . Have you found that ? Also want the little tray on bottom . Can I order that from tractor 1 ? The freezer we want to keep for now but still may get top shelf . Thankyou for the info . Also noticed it looks like a wired black fan . How did you do that if that is what it is ? You came up with excellent ideas here .
Yes the wire shelf allows a lot better airflow. Message tractors1 about the tray. I had ours made 1" high and you will need to decide if that's Ok for you or if you want it a little taller, say 1.5".

The fan is a small 13 CFM axiel fan blowing down that I have wired to a switch installed inside in a cabinet (part number 6RRJ0 and guard part number 3RP19 from Grainger that you can find on Amazon or the internet). It has helped a lot with the fridge cooling issues by keeping just a little air moving around the fridge and is very quiet and I don't have to use the small battery fans any longer. We tried the Fridge Fix fan but found it actually drove our temps up which is the same thing Reace and others have found.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #20

Thankyou for all this good info . Ordered with tractors 1,for our tray . Now need to order shelfs . Will also get that fan . Glad to hear shelf allows more air flow .