trim-lok drip rail vs. EZE RV Gutter - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2019, 02:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
trim-lok drip rail vs. EZE RV Gutter

after a few big rainstorms on the way to and at the Mississippi Rendezvous, I have decided to put some rain gutters over my windows. probably over and around the front of the refrigerator vent too, in hopes it might disrupt the wind flowing by when we are driving.

It seems there are two types of rain gutter on Amazon. The EZE RV Gutter, and the Trim-lok Drip Rail. They both have similar ratings and as near as I can figure, they both need care when being installed so that the adhesive works properly.

Does anyone on the forum have experience with both of these and a preference for one or the other? If it makes any difference, my plan is to bend the gutters so that they come a bit around the sides of the windows rather than simply extending them beyond the ends of the window.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have installed E-Z-E gutters on al of my Escapes and both of the products you linked to seem identical. I have bought it from Camping world and Amazon and installed over the windows with a curve at the end, over the vents and other openings. They seem to work on the surface water issue. The last batch I installed however seems to be coming off, so I may have to remove and either use a fresh piece or reglue the existing one. The new awning windows have factory covers already, but there is always the water heater, refer and heater vent, etc.
Old 10-01-2019, 04:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hi Leon
I wish you would have said something when you were at our 21
last weekend. We have the EZ gutters on its windows just as we did on our 19.
We have had great luck with the EZ gutters. We put them on the 19 after traveling in heavy rain in Ontario and getting a little water inside. Our weep slots were plugged up with leaf litter and dirt and I had not heard about keeping them clean. Once we cleaned the slots and installed the gutters we had no more problems.
Last weekend we did not have any leaking and we believe it was due to our proactive installation on the 21. We have not used the EZ Gutter on anything but windows. To install we cleaned the window perimeter with Meguiars X20 scratch remover to make sure all the polymer “wax” was removed and we were down to clean gelcoat. We measured the length needed to go down the window sides several inches. We cut the gutter with a pair of anvil type tree pruners for a clean cut.
Here’s a few pictures. Two of windows on the 21, one of three excellent products used, recommended and endorsed by Iowa Dave. The previously mentioned scratch remover, the polymer “wax” Rejex used by my wife to keep the trailer surface gleaming and easy to clean off bugs. The final one a fine product developed by my late friend Carroll Black of Ohio. Known as “ Blackie” he developed a very excellent skunk bait that will pull a skunk into a live trap from fifty feet away. Blackie taught me one of the platitudes that I live by when describing mammalian behavior. “A cat is a cat is a cat”. Let me know if you have additional questions.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
1600A05D-CAED-4FD0-9BA9-E075CED8247C.jpg   0537D574-4A9A-4E80-8898-76B659381322.jpg   3A0A2F56-0A14-4151-BC48-9B4DD6345304.jpg  
Old 10-01-2019, 10:58 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Agree on the Rejex - easy wipe on, wait, wipe off. No buffing needed and the bugs almost fall off with a simple hosing compared to waxing. I don't bother to wipe it off the roof.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:42 AM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
yeah, I gotta do a full rejex job on the E21. its filthy right now
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:32 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Leon
I wish you would have said something when you were at our 21
last weekend. We have the EZ gutters on its windows just as we did on our 19.
We have had great luck with the EZ gutters. We put them on the 19 after traveling in heavy rain in Ontario and getting a little water inside. Our weep slots were plugged up with leaf litter and dirt and I had not heard about keeping them clean. Once we cleaned the slots and installed the gutters we had no more problems.
Last weekend we did not have any leaking and we believe it was due to our proactive installation on the 21. We have not used the EZ Gutter on anything but windows. To install we cleaned the window perimeter with Meguiars X20 scratch remover to make sure all the polymer “wax” was removed and we were down to clean gelcoat. We measured the length needed to go down the window sides several inches. We cut the gutter with a pair of anvil type tree pruners for a clean cut.
Here’s a few pictures. Two of windows on the 21, one of three excellent products used, recommended and endorsed by Iowa Dave. The previously mentioned scratch remover, the polymer “wax” Rejex used by my wife to keep the trailer surface gleaming and easy to clean off bugs. The final one a fine product developed by my late friend Carroll Black of Ohio. Known as “ Blackie” he developed a very excellent skunk bait that will pull a skunk into a live trap from fifty feet away. Blackie taught me one of the platitudes that I live by when describing mammalian behavior. “A cat is a cat is a cat”. Let me know if you have additional questions.
Iowa Dave
Thanks, Dave. I admired your gutters at the rally and fully intended on just going ahead and buying the eze gutters. But when I got to Amazon I saw the trim-lok product and was curious if it might be better. But your eze gutters do the trick. , so I am just going to go ahead and get them. Also thanks for the REJEX recommendation.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Thanks, Dave. I admired your gutters at the rally and fully intended on just going ahead and buying the eze gutters. But when I got to Amazon I saw the trim-lok product and was curious if it might be better. But your eze gutters do the trick. , so I am just going to go ahead and get them. Also thanks for the REJEX recommendation.
What? You didn’t need a recommendation on skunk bait? Well maybe not now anyway, but keep Blackies Blend lures in mind. The guy who bought his formulas is doing an excellent job with them. Have a great week. P.S. more rain at Thomson last night.
Iowa Dave