Trunion or Round Bar for WDH - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-16-2018, 09:27 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
Trunion or Round Bar for WDH

Hello All,
I have decided to get a WDH even though not 100% sure we need one but after reading about this a lot have decided better extra safety then sorry.
I have decided on the E2 but am a little confused which one to get, I know this is what Escape installs at the factory but there seems to be a couple of different ones. Can someone let me know which one that is, I have a 2014 21'.
THANKS in advance!

Safe and fun travels to all.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:03 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
We just finalized our WDH decision this morning. I understand there is little difference between the trunion and the round bar other than the trunion providing more ground clearance. As we opted for the high lift axle and plan on doing some tame off roading, we wanted to maximize clearance and go with trunion. I asked ETI yesterday which version they install, and they confirmed its the 6,000lbs trunion (92-00-0600). As our tow vehicle recommends sway control, the E2 appears to be the best bang for the buck providing sway control and weight distribution.
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 02:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
They fundamentally work the same way, but (depending on design details) the spring bars can be easier to install and remove with the trunnion design (because the bar doesn't fall out of the bottom of the socket in the head). And as already described, the spring bar comes out of the middle of the head with the trunnion instead of the bottom of it with the round bar, so there is more ground clearance under the front of the bars with the trunnion design.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 10:37 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B
I use the trunion style with our Ranger and 17B. It's a 2wd and the trailer has a regular axle so I was concerned about clearance. Although the truck will tow the trailer with just a ball and it is within the tongue weight rating of the factory installed hitch, the trailer tows much smoother with the WDH. Cuts the 'porpoising' way down.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC08320.jpg  
Old 11-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #5

We have a 2010, double axle, 19 ft Escape, we also use the weight distribution hitch supplied by Escape.
We have, traveled on some of the worst roads in the Yukon, through beaver washouts, and on dirt trails.
On one road against the advice of the highways maintenance crew, who stated, “If you go in there, with that rig, you will never get out. And if you do go in there We are sure as hell not coming in after you, to pull you out”
We went in and using four wheel drive in low, came out.

This to say, you do not really need high lif axles, and this hitch ETI, sells is a good one.
I have never bottomed out on a bush trail.
Doug
Yukon Escape is offline   Reply With Quote