Trying to decide on our options for the 19ft - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Trying to decide on our options for the 19ft

We are sooo new at this. We find this forum invaluable and appreciate others' experience. We have never towed or RV'd but many years ago did tent. Retired now, we are not up to sleeping on the floor or cots anymore.
We keep thinking we have decided on our options but they seem to change week by week. We have ordered our 19ft and have a mid August delivery date. The big question, did anyone get air conditioning and wish they hadn't or regret the lack of it? It should be mentioned that we are not very heat tolerant and would be doing most of our traveling outside of the summer months.
Bea
Old 05-10-2011, 03:41 PM   #2

Re: Trying to decide on our options for the 19ft

Bea:

As a general rule.. I would get the AC, for those off days that you need it, you really appreciate it and it's probably adds to the "selling factor" if for some reason you choose to sell it. I also think the extra insulation and bike rack ready are good. And now that there's the cargo box, I would definitely get that.

my 2 cents.

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2011 Escape 19 ft.

We ordered our 19 without a/c as we were not sure if we needed it. We did however have Rease do the wiring for a/c and solar panels so that we do have the option to install later on. That might be something to think about if you decide against a/c now.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:18 PM   #4

Trailer: No more Escape 21

Another option is to take a day or two and go to the Escape Rally in Osooyoos, June 3 -5. Look over all the 19 footers to see how each is equipped. Talk with the owners about the options and how useful there are. Seeing the various options in person is a great way to see how you should equip your Escape.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #5

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura & Rick
Another option is to take a day or two and go to the Escape Rally in Osooyoos, June 3 -5. Look over all the 19 footers to see how each is equipped. Talk with the owners about the options and how useful there are. Seeing the various options in person is a great way to see how you should equip your Escape.
And EVERYONE there would just be THRILLED to have you come by, look and talk. It's an Escape thing : - )
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:54 PM   #6

Go for it order all the options after you visit the Rally you might even want a front box.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieEscape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura & Rick
And EVERYONE there would just be THRILLED to have you come by, look and talk. It's an Escape thing : - )
That is a great suggestion...hope it can pan out. We have decided on the box for sure, and the bike rack ready. Don is a mosquito magnet so he really wants the screen room as well.
The excitement and the anticipation of waiting for that delivery date is half the fun. Seems to be common sentiment among the Escapees. A concept not understood by those expecting instant gratification.
Bea
Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: donandbea...and WELCOME!!! I find instant gratification every time I set foot in our 5.0... never tire of seeing it or being in it!!! Getting her ready& stocked and waiting to do the 24weekend in Rondeau Prov. Pk. near Point Pelee Ontario.
Between bird watching and wine tasting that should fill the time...Aaah 4 days of BLISS!!! Alf p.s. A/C was most necessary in Indiana in July
...Wide open flat space in the sun @ 95*F the a/c water ran constantly off the roof. Only shade was the awning!!!
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
Buffalo shuffle.jpg   escape duel.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

We opted to not get the A/C yet, as we have no plans to be where it would be needed. In the 2 years of owning it we have never had the need. The warmest weather we have been in was just over 30C, and the extra insulation and dual glazed windows kept the heat out fine. The 19 comes ready for it should you want to put it on later, but you would need to get the shroud that stiffens the roof before putting it on, or just get Escape to do it for you.

We did not get the bug room for a few reasons. 1) I am bigger than them so am not too worried, 2) I really did not want snaps riveted to the side of the trailer, and 3) I prefer to have a separate screen room I can carry should we need one. I know there are some that like theirs and that is great, it is the advantage of buying an Escape that offers all these options.

The front box was not available when I bought mine, but would likely have opted for it. There is a ton of storage space regardless, this would just be something more accessible.

One of my favourite options by far is the extra insulation and dual glazed windows. Keeps the cold or hot out keeping it very comfortable inside.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:21 PM   #10

Hi Bea,
Our 17b is due in 55 calander days or 37 business days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donandbea
It should be mentioned that we are not very heat tolerant and would be doing most of our traveling outside of the summer months.
Bea
The issue of A/C or not A/C is discussed in previous threads. It seems that if you are trying to save some costs, A/C isn't necessary in Canadian climates. If you plan on trips south it might be a different story. We are getting our 17 pre-prepped for future A/C for if and when we do a US roadtrip or Baja.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
The front box was not available when I bought mine, but would likely have opted for it. There is a ton of storage space regardless, this would just be something more accessible.
The tongue box will be nice for:
1. storage
2. line-ex protection for the shell
3. Escapes being rivetless construction, we didn't want exterior access hatches cut into the shell to access docking equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
We did not get the bug room for a few reasons. 1) I am bigger than them so am not too worried, 2) I really did not want snaps riveted to the side of the trailer, and 3) I prefer to have a separate screen room I can carry should we need one. I know there are some that like theirs and that is great, it is the advantage of buying an Escape that offers all these options.
We "dry" camp in Forest Service campsites that are often crowded with partying mosquitos: the screen room seemed a good idea. I didn't know that Escape riveted snaps to the side of the trailer to anchor the screen room: I might have decided not to purchase it had I known this. Hopefully the snaps are stainless steel.

We didn't get a lot of superfluous electronics: no microwave, no TV. We did get a 12v plug installed for the laptop.

Other options we thought were worthwhile: insulation/thermal windows, 5 cuft fridge, high-lift axle, dual propane and dual 6v batteries. We also got the out side shower: its more for relatives who tent camp with us who we don't want using the inside facility.

Some of these items may be standard on the 19 but options on the 17.

Have fun waiting and dreaming: your trailer might be under construction when we pick ours up in July.

See you on the road this summer.

Gord
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:41 PM   #11

Like you, we don't tend to travel to hot places. For us, air conditioning is extra up-front cost, extra weight and extra aerodynamic drag. We have not been in a situation where running the fan was not good enough. The windows are tinted, so the trailer is not a greenhouse. On a sunny 30-degree day, we can safely leave our dogs in the trailer with the fan running and a water dish on the floor.

I wish that we had sprung for extra insulation and double-glazed windows. Camping in freezing temperatures leads to condensation, and you want to minimise that.

I wish I had ordered a stainless steel sink.

Dual 6 V batteries are a must.

We have never used our screen room.

Biggest change we made after delivery was getting a 3-inch memory foam topper from The Foam Shop. We have a 17-foot without a permanent bed, so the topper would make it difficult to use the dinette feature. But having a comfortable bed is critical to vacation success - you can't be happy without enough sleep.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #12
Geo

3-inch memory foam topper in our trailer.
Makes the bed just right :-)
Geo
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:53 PM   #13

These ideas are helping a lot. Don't like the idea of the exterior rivets either! We actually have a separate screen tent that we can take along. When we first ordered our Escape 19 we were going to be towing with a Honda Odyssey van and wanted to keep our options as light as possible. Upon reflection we started feeling very uncomfortable about towing at the van's full capacity and traded up to a Honda Ridgeline truck. Now we can tow more and carry more. I know, not always the smartest but those options keep beckoning! The extra insulation and thermal windows are doable as far as weight goes, it's the pocket book that now reaches capacity! lol
Old 05-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo
3-inch memory foam topper in our trailer.
Makes the bed just right :-)
Geo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstew

I wish that we had sprung for extra insulation and double-glazed windows. Camping in freezing temperatures leads to condensation, and you want to minimize that.

I wish I had ordered a stainless steel sink.
- you can't be happy without enough sleep.
Going for the stainless steel sink.
Also, a good night's sleep is critical for us too. We have an Ikea memory foam we will be using.
Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist [quote=escape artist
Hi: donandbea...and WELCOME!!! I find instant gratification every time I set foot in our 5.0... never tire of seeing it or being in it!!!
It's great to hear the excitement doesn't end on delivery!!
Bea
Old 05-11-2011, 06:13 PM   #15

We own a 15B and did opted for the screen room. It is very easy to set up by ONE person and comes in handy. We too live in the north and it does a great job of keeping the bugs at bay. Also it has the effect of reducing the wind's action on the canopy. Many others are rolling up their canopies when the wind comes up, but we find it reduces it's effect by a large amount. It also adds a little to privacy. In the morning we sit out there and have our coffees, many times still in our PJ's.
donwesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstew
Biggest change we made after delivery was getting a 3-inch memory foam topper from The Foam Shop. We have a 17-foot without a permanent bed, so the topper would make it difficult to use the dinette feature. But having a comfortable bed is critical to vacation success - you can't be happy without enough sleep.
One suggestion for those considering adding a "Topper" at least for the 17' is to ask Reace to move the receptacle under the folding table as high as possible so it isn't buried under the topper.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:37 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by donwesen
We own a 15B and did opted for the screen room. It is very easy to set up by ONE person and comes in handy. We too live in the north and it does a great job of keeping the bugs at bay. Also it has the effect of reducing the wind's action on the canopy. Many others are rolling up their canopies when the wind comes up, but we find it reduces it's effect by a large amount. It also adds a little to privacy. In the morning we sit out there and have our coffees, many times still in our PJ's.
Hi Don we just live around the corner from you on Teichman, next time we see a 15 in one of the local campgrounds on our morning walk we'll keep walking and say hi in the afternoon
Old 05-12-2011, 08:24 AM   #18

Suggestion:
Consider having some of the interior and exterior lights controlled by centrally located switches. We grouped all our outside lights on one switch near the door, and wish we had grouped the loft (Escape 5.0) lights on a single switch near the door. Opt for the LED lights...the extended battery is worth the price.

Dave
Old 05-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #19

Thanks Dave, We did just change to all LED's but hadn't considered the concept of a grouping the switches.
Bea
Old 05-12-2011, 01:37 PM   #20

The loft on the 5.0 requires clambering over the bed to flip on the lights. It won't be a problem in the 19, I' suspect. An additional change I wish we'd made was to have the lights installed at the extreme forward end of the trailer (at the head of our bed). They provide enough light for reading, but I would have preferred them mounted more "above our heads" when lying down. I think I'm going to install a second set of lights and wire the group into a single switch...but will do a bit of studying first...I'd hate to have the trailer detonate in a ball of fire (or just blow fuses).

Dave