Trying to decide whether to include insulation in build sheet - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-31-2016, 09:12 AM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 17B
Trying to decide whether to include insulation in build sheet

Hello Escape Owners

I have ordered an Escape 17B, and I'm trying to make an informed decision on whether to include the insulation in my build sheet. I have decided against the spray foam under the floor based on opinions in the forums.

I don't plan on winter camping, but could easily be in a situation where I could be in temperatures slightly below freezing. In my current trailer (a "fur-lined" Casita) I was quite comfortable in that temperature range, as a small heater easily kept it warm enough. I'm doubtful whether that synthetic carpet on the walls of the casita provides any significant insulation, but it never accumulated any apparent mold. Window condensation only seemed to be a real problem while I was cooking or boiling water, and I could easily fix that with a short use of the vent fan and a quick wipe of the windows, and continued use of the heater.

So, I welcome opinions, especially if someone has been lucky enough to do a side-by-side observation, with and without insulation. Is there space in the wall construction for enough insulation to make a significant difference in R-value (if that's even measurable in these trailers).

Also, if condensation on the Escape wall material has been an issue that would be helped by insulation, that would be good to know.

Thanks for any input you can provide. I hope I put this in the appropriate category.

Kathryn
KathC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 19' towed by a 4Runner
Insulation keeps things cool too, if you use AC.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathC View Post
Also, if condensation on the Escape wall material has been an issue that would be helped by insulation, that would be good to know.
I wouldn't know, sorry. The only ETI build I've owned has the extra insulation. But since it's best done during the build, I'm glad I went ahead and chose the option.

The one thing I absolutely LOVE is the dual pane windows. Dealing with drippy single pane windows in my Scamp was AWFUL.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 10:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
The double pane windows are worth the option price. The whole package also helps keep down on exterior noise.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:27 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have always maintained that if there was only one option I got, it would be the added insulation and dual glazed windows. Not only do they keep the heat out in warm weather, and the heat in during cold temps, it adds a good bit of sound insulation.

Plus, it is one of the few options that would be near impossible to add later.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:05 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
If there is one option that you should get, it should be the insulation package. You take a trailer on trips and you can go from Summer to Winter conditions at any time of the year. And as others have said, it is extremely difficult to add later. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 11:18 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Having camped in below zero F temps in both a Scamp and a Casita , I would get the insulation package just to get the thermopane windows . Waking up to a wet pillow from window condensation is not my idea of fun.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 12:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have the spray foam insulation, extra insulation on walls and dual pane windows. I find the trailer cozy warm in cold weather, cool in hot weather and very quiet inside. To me the extra $$ for these features was well spent.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 01:08 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Did all in both my Escapes and will do it again in my next...protects the interior as well as the exterior, underneath.
Old 01-31-2016, 01:11 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I'm pretty sure the extra insulation helps in both hot and cold weather, but what's just as important to me is how quiet is in inside the trailer and I do think that is because of the insulation. If we were looking, I wouldn't buy a used trailer that didn't have the insulation and double pane windows.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 17B
Hello helpful people!
Thank you all so much for the quick replies! I'm sold on the insulation and windows.

One last question: I know that the seals on a couple of my home double pane windows have been compromised, causing condensation between the layers. Has this been a problem? I wonder if a lot of bumpy miles might put the seals at risk. (I may ask this question in a separate thread as well, but I'll keep watching this one.)

Kathryn
KathC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 05:47 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm aware of only one window in one unit that had an issue and I'm sure it is covered under the 2 year warranty.
Old 01-31-2016, 08:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Hi, Kathryn. We got the insulation and double paned windows in our 21, as much for the Texas heat as for any winter cold. (We also skipped the spray foam on bottom.) Even though I see you're already convinced, I thought I'd chime in since we live in your area. FWIW, we have low-E glass, double paned windows in our 11 year old house and have had no condensation issues (seal failures) like we experienced in our previous house - so I'm thinking/hoping the technology has improved in the past 25 years. Have fun with your new trailer!
Old 01-31-2016, 08:54 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We had one window in our 19' that "leaked" and Escape sent us a new one and paid for the replacement. But then, in my own home, we had 19 Anderson windows that went bad that were replaced under warranty, so we won't complain about this one window.

Tags
condensation?, insulation yes or no