Tundra brake controller operation..... - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #41

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
brakes

The integrated switch is for RV settings and usually boat trailer settings .The hydraulic over elec is for usually disc brakes on a boat trailer . (most boat trailers come with hydraulic surge brakes under 5000lb )The brake controller sends elec to a pump which pushes hydraulic fluid to the disc brake calipers just like on a car or truck that we drive . This system is far superior to our RV elec drum brake systems . There was an article about this in trailer mag a few months ago . Jim
Old 05-07-2017, 10:08 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Conclusion

So am I correct in assuming that this topic heading, "possible problems with trailer brakes" turned out to be a problem not with the trailer or a problem with the tow vehicle but instead an operating owner error? I found the topic heading to be alarmist and as I suspected, the Escape build and the Dexter components were flawless. And Escape, ever the best customer support around, " took care or the problem.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Perhaps "Trailer brakes setup" would be better?
Old 05-07-2017, 11:35 AM   #44

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
If one looks at the Forums for Toyota , Ford ,GMC , Chevrolet and Ram , there are page after page of people complaining about their factory installed brake controllers (IBC).
The factory brake controllers are designed to work with the vehicle's ABS , sway control , traction control , engine or transmission braking etc . Many times they do not operate in a manner that the vehicle's owner thinks or believes they should operate and they assume something is automatically wrong with the brakes.
They take their vehicle to the dealer and the dealer says the system is functioning properly and as designed .
My Ram's IBC does not brake in the exact same way as my old Tekonsha P3 .
Old 05-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #45

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
So am I correct in assuming that this topic heading, "possible problems with trailer brakes" turned out to be a problem not with the trailer or a problem with the tow vehicle but instead an operating owner error? I found the topic heading to be alarmist and as I suspected, the Escape build and the Dexter components were flawless. And Escape, ever the best customer support around, " took care or the problem.
Iowa Dave
At the time I titled it I DID NOT have a clue as to what was going on. Therefore the word POSSIBLE.

I also find it interesting that not one single person suggested looking at the type of brakes it was set for.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:50 PM   #46

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
(snip)
The factory brake controllers are designed to work with the vehicle's ABS , sway control , traction control , engine or transmission braking etc . Many times they do not operate in a manner that the vehicle's owner thinks or believes they should operate and they assume something is automatically wrong with the brakes.
They take their vehicle to the dealer and the dealer says the system is functioning properly and as designed .
What was frustrating for me is that they worked fine and then all of a sudden they weren't. But, I now know why.
Old 05-07-2017, 02:56 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I would find another dealer to use. I can't belive they did not find the problem.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #48

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
What was frustrating for me is that they worked fine and then all of a sudden they weren't. But, I now know why.
I did something similar with my brake controller , accidently set one of the parameters incorrectly . Took me a while to figure out what I had done. I understand your frustration but I figure it's a lesson well learned for both of us.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:31 PM   #49

I changed the thread title to be more issue specific related.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #50

I think this thread has run it's course and is being closed, if there are no objections.
Closed Thread