Turn off your Propane while driving - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-03-2017, 01:17 AM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I expect that the Department of Transport was answering on whether it was legal to travel with propane on, were they not?
My apologies if I missed it, but I don't see any answer from any Department of Transport in any previous post in this thread, or the sites linked in them. The statement in the original post contains a common misinterpretation of a Canadian federal Transportation of Dangerous Goods regulation, and a paraphrasing of an opinion about safety - not legality - from a Gas Safety Officer at the BC Safety Authority.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:23 AM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
And, if you asked the fire chief, "should I light this match?", what do you think he would say?
Old 11-03-2017, 08:04 AM   #43

Trailer: SOLD 2016 Classic 21ft - SOLD 2016 Ram 1500 tug - ORDERED Van Replacement
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
It seems to me that some people just don't want to believe that propane is a safe fuel to travel with. For those people, I suggest you sell your gasoline powered TV ( gasoline is far more dangerous than propane) and buy something diesel powered.
The type of fuel, be it LPG, gasoline, diesel or wood is not the issue. It's the flame and/or ignition source that has the potential to ignite gaseous vapors should an unusual spill occur near the gasoline dispenser.

The only reason I can think of that some officials advise to turn LPG tank valve off at a gasoline station is to ensure no appliance can support an ignition source.

Imagine hot water heater left on, thermostat kicks in generating a very visible flame that under the right circumstances ... instant disaster. There is a reason why at all fueling stations there are warning signs regarding ignition sources.
Old 11-03-2017, 08:52 AM   #44

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
... Imagine hot water heater left on, thermostat kicks in generating a very visible flame that under the right circumstances ... instant disaster. There is a reason why at all fueling stations there are warning signs regarding ignition sources.
That also relates to why propane and natural gas home water heaters now have a high-temp sensor in the combustion chamber to shut off the propane supply in case of a house fire. I have friends who are firefighters who say one of the more dangerous jobs in fighting forest fires is running ahead of a fire, from cabin to cabin, shutting off valves on large propane tanks and gathering up small tanks to lesson the likelihood that they will contribute to the forest fire or become dangerous projectiles.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
My apologies if I missed it, but I don't see any answer from any Department of Transport in any previous post in this thread.......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
...... I contacted all Provincial, Territorial and Federal Departments of Transport asking specifically if the fridge in a travel trailer could be left on propane while travelling, and each and every one replied that is allowed to be on when in transport, and only in areas otherwise specified (like on ferries) are you obligated to turn off the propane.
This statement of mine is what was referred to. About 7 years ago I posted a few of the responses from the various offices with there response.

This seems very clear cut to me. While there are lots of opinions out there on both sides of the issue, it is up to the individual to make the decision whether or not to use propane appliances while driving, as it is fully legal to do so.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #46

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
One could make a very very long list of things that are legal but are also dangerous as heck and stupid to do.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:27 AM   #47

I guess this is just another one of those subjects...

thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 11:36 AM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
I guess this is just another one of those subjects...

I think your right....

Cheers
Doug
Old 11-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Ed, the subject has been brought up here on the forum many times. Personally, I think the risk is extremely low. The main reason is, fuel vapors don't "float in the air" as described by the website. They pool near the ground, because they're heavier than air. Second, vapors with a high enough concentration to ignite would be due to spilled fuel, not from normal refueling. Third, the flame in the fridge flue isn't really open, being mostly enclosed behind the panel and burner assembly. And fourth, I've seen no documented case of explosion or fire caused by an RV fridge while refueling.

Yes, RVs have caught fire. Some have even caught fire at gas stations. There are videos online if you search hard enough. What you will find harder to pin down is any gas station fire caused by an RV fridge running on propane.

I personally think it's a solution in search of a problem, but if you want to shut off the tanks before refueling, there's nothing wrong with that.
Additionally, don't all fuel pump delivery handles nowadays have a "vapor recovery system" built in?

Chuck
citabria90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 12:35 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
The type of fuel, be it LPG, gasoline, diesel or wood is not the issue. It's the flame and/or ignition source that has the potential to ignite gaseous vapors should an unusual spill occur near the gasoline dispenser.
With today's fridge's it's a simple matter of pushing a button and the frig turns off, you then proceed to the gas pump fuel up then drive a few feet and press that same button, the fridge turns on. Easy peasy.

Quote:
One could make a very very long list of things that are legal but are also dangerous as heck and stupid to do.
But we are not discussing any of those things. We are discussing driving with your fridge running on propane.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:43 PM   #51
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
But we are not discussing any of those things. We are discussing driving with your fridge running on propane.
Thank you. Among all the things that fall into the category of "dangerous as heck" and "stupid", driving with the fridge on propane is not one of them.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #52

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Thank you. Among all the things that fall into the category of "dangerous as heck" and "stupid", driving with the fridge on propane is not one of them.
Now if we want to talk about something actually dangerous and stupid we could talk about texting while driving... or eating poutine while driving...

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #53

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
You are welcome to move to Alberta Robert, to get you out of trouble
Don't need fridge running with the temperatures we have here right now
Old 11-03-2017, 01:07 PM   #54

Quote:
With today's fridge's it's a simple matter of pushing a button and the frig turns off, you then proceed to the gas pump fuel up then drive a few feet and press that same button, the fridge turns on. Easy peasy.

People are not turning off their refrigerators at gas stations as a number have said here. If you are turning yours off, then you agree with me.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:10 PM   #55

Quote:
Are you one of the ones here who goes into gas stations with the propane on? Because that was obviously what I was giving information about.

Many would not remember to turn the gas off at gas stations, as I doubt I would, and many purposely do not.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:11 PM   #56
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
People are not turning off their refrigerators at gas stations as a number have said here. If you are turning yours off, then you agree with me.
True enough, they aren't. Thousands upon thousands (probably millions) of people have refueled while running their rv fridge on propane for many decades. If it hasn't been a problem before, what makes it a problem now? Where are the fires and explosions caused by it? Why not worry about actual problems instead of theoretical ones with no demonstrable incidents?
Old 11-03-2017, 01:23 PM   #57

Quote:
That's what I do... but there are two switches (refrigerator and water heater).
Old 11-03-2017, 01:27 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by citabria90 View Post
Additionally, don't all fuel pump delivery handles nowadays have a "vapor recovery system" built in?
No, only in some areas, where they are legally required. It varies by area, and even between stations in the same area dependent on volume of sales. We don't have them here in Alberta, for instance.
Old 11-03-2017, 01:32 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's what I do... but there are two switches (refrigerator and water heater).
Yes, you bring up the water heater, too, which many have never considered. If their propane is off at the tanks, they do not have to remember either.

Many people would not remember one or the other or both, if they even cared to, which they do not from some posts. You must remember both all of the time. I would not, I am sure.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #60

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Let me get this straight. Are you saying that it is safe, and perfectly acceptable to drive with your fridge on propane? And that your only proviso is that the fridge be turned off before refueling?