TV antenna with amplifier - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2009, 01:10 PM   #1

TV antenna with amplifier

Hi Folks

We have been looking to purchase a trailer for some time now and finally took the plunge this week and ordered a 5.0. We chose Escape for many of the of the reasons listed on this forum including the design and quality, along with the pleasure of buying from such good people as Reace and Tammy. We did have a question about the TV antenna option. We were wondering about the effectiveness and reception here in the US since the conversion to HD signals. Maybe those of you who currently have and use the antenna could pass along your experiences so far. Thanks alot.

Jerry and Julie
JerryS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Re: TV antenna with amplifier

Hi: Jerry S... And welcome to the forum. The antenna and amp are fine if there are local signals avail. you will get em all. The amp is necessary to boost the signal as the antenna would be better with more height... but not as streamlined on the roof. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie p.s. In "Our Escape Hatch" the TV mount is at the foot of the bed close to the ant. amp. & plug.
Attached Thumbnails
black tie optional.jpg   kissin\'cousins.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 10:34 PM   #3

Hi: JerryS... I forgot to say the station on the TV during my photo was Analog. Since Digital inception the TV screen is much sharper. One rainy night in Maine we watched their PBS chanel. WOW!!! Better 'n cable at home. Stations more than 50 miles away are a bit of a challenge. We also have two cable inlets incase it is avail in the campground.
Usually the only thing on at night is the campfire & maybe the news!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
where\'s the Baileys.jpg  
Old 09-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #4

Hi Alf - Thanks for the info and sending along the pix as well. Nice campfire shot! I like your set up and mounting of the flat screen - looks like the way to go on the 5.0 we'll be getting as well. It seems like that antenna should work out well if need be. Since we live out here in the west - who knows where we'll end up when we start traveling, it might come in handy. With my apologies to the late Mr. Rogers "can you say NFL season " sure you can.

Jerry
Old 09-28-2009, 07:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryS
Hi Alf - Thanks for the info and sending along the pix as well. Nice campfire shot! I like your set up and mounting of the flat screen - looks like the way to go on the 5.0 we'll be getting as well. It seems like that antenna should work out well if need be. Since we live out here in the west - who knows where we'll end up when we start traveling, it might come in handy. With my apologies to the late Mr. Rogers "can you say NFL season " sure you can.

Jerry
Hi: Jerry... Here's what it looks like from the back and when it's locked into travel position. Alf
escape srtist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
ready to tow.jpg   wall flower.jpg  
Old 09-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #6

Hi: JerryS... The TV weighs 11# the arm can carry up to 60#. A bit of over kill but it was in there by the former owners.Our local Airstream dealer told me they charge $500. to reinforce the wall and mount the arm...so we were lucky it was done by Reace during the build. Alf
Old 10-04-2009, 06:58 AM   #7

Hi:JerryS... I just took the TV off the arm and brought it indoors for storage. I put it on its stand and found a space for it in my new den. If we go camping again this season we'll just have to find some other form of entertainment.
We only have two seasons here...Camping and Storage. Alf
Old 10-04-2009, 10:23 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Alf, is your arm designed to be easily taken off of its mount? If so, what make/model is it?

I would really like one that does this, as the TV could be put away unless needed as we don't really watch it much, plus it would be better for traveling.

I did see one like that at Home Depot, but it was a real cheap looking unit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:53 AM   #9

Hi: Jim Bennett... I owe you big time for making me go out and look at the TV mount arm. When I took the cover off the end fastened to the wall one of the pivot screws fell right out . It could have come off a lot easier than it did when I took the TV out yesterday!!!(required allen key to tighten)
The name of the unit is AVF. Here's a link but I don't know the model# www.avfgroup.com Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie p.s. I believe I have the Vector LCD554C which will hold up to a 40" Flat Screen TV
Old 10-05-2009, 03:32 PM   #10

Hi Alf - We're definitely looking forward to more of the "camping " when we do get our trailer, thats for sure. We are including the wall mount TV option as well in our order. It looks like that arm has a quick release bracket to remove the entire flat screen and leave the arm in place , is that correct ? Thanks again for the info and pictures.

Jerry
Old 10-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #11

Hi: JerryS...Yes 1/2 of the large square metal plate attaches to the back of the TV. w/ 4 screws. Then it clips over the top of the arm plate and attaches at the bottom with 2 bolts. The arm stays in the trailer and I used the foot/stand supplied with the Toshiba 19" in the den. Took me all of 5 min. to take it out and set it up. We have a nice looking 3-4" sliding gate bolt on the wall to keep the TV anchored there for travel. It is just visable above the TV in the pic. "ready to tow". Alf
Old 10-05-2009, 11:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

Alf, is the mounting plate meant to come off and on easy, or is it just something that is not too tough to do? You mention 2 bolts, do you need a wrench to remove them? What is the make of it?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:44 AM   #13

Hi: Jim... Only a Phillips screwdriver needed to take off the 2 bottom bolts then the TV lifts off. It's about as quick as it gets but rugged enough to hold firm. Alf
Old 10-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #14

Hi: JerryS... Have you been assigned a finish date for trailer pickup yet Alf
Old 10-27-2009, 11:15 AM   #15

Trailer: '09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"

We got the tv mount w/the tv antennae/booster in addition to the coaxial cable connector/wiring in our new 19. As stated earlier, the antennae works fine picking up digital channels (even HiDef) when within range - which is shorter with digital than analog. Definitely a luxury to have the cable hookups for the times when staying for only 1 night in a campground (with cable) when passing through- just like a hotel. Also, I was able to catch the UT vs OU game while in Vernal UT.

For the times when truly camping (e.g. in state parks & nat'l forests), it's nice to be able to easily leave the tv at home. Jim - on the mount that Reace installed in our 19, there is a single screw that detaches the tv from the arm. It has a know on it so you don't even need a screw driver. We'll just leave the arm folded up out of the way & put the tv in our bedroom at the house - the tv came with a detachable stand which was nice & enables us to easily use it at the house too. (will add pics of the arm with the mounting later).

'09 Escape 19 "Grasshopper"
'14 MB GL350 BlueTEC; '99 Toyota 4Runner V6 4WD
Texscapees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #16

Hi Alf - In about 8 months.

Brad and Shay - Thanks for the added input on the TV setup as well. I'll look for your mounting arm pix in the future.