uncrimping crimped wires - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2018, 03:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
uncrimping crimped wires

I'm replacing the CO/propane detector. Pulled the fuse it was on, so it is now off. But the wires are tightly crimped and no room (no extra wire) to cut off around that so I want to get them out and recrimp them with the new detector. Suggestions? They are the squeeze shut kind (two ends, one for each wire) rather than the easier screw on type.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1528.jpg  
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:46 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19'
Sometimes you can squeeze the connections in the opposite direction they were crimped and pull the wire out. It's worth a try.
McBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:51 PM   #3

Tried some but will try some more. That was the only idea I had- I might be able to cut below them and add a new crimp if the new one has enough wire.
Old 09-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #4

An interesting aside- this is supposed to have been replaced at six years. Date installed would have been 2011, not 2010 as shown, because that's the year of the trailer. I didn't know that until recently but the alarm to say it is past useful life only went off late this summer. And the alarm worked in April. Nice to know there is a little leeway though in future I'll replace at the right interval.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:02 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The clock for replacement starts running when you connect the power. So note that on the new detector.
I gave up and added a short section of new wire between the trailer wiring and the detector wiring so I could install the replacement. No where as tidy as the factory installation. They left no slack.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
That's a difficult situation. Even if you had the connections on a workbench and could hold them firmly while driving a scriber in one side there wouldn't be any guarantee that it'd work.

Since the detector is toast and there's no slack to play with or use I'd cut the wires off at the detector and keep the existing connectors in place.

I'd also use spade connectors on the new connections for ease of changing over in the future or as a quick way of disconnecting should it give a false alarm in the middle of the night.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Since the detector is toast and there's no slack to play with or use I'd cut the wires off at the detector and keep the existing connectors in place.

I'd also use spade connectors on the new connections for ease of changing over in the future or as a quick way of disconnecting should it give a false alarm in the middle of the night.

Ron

All good solutions.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:30 PM   #8

We almost went to get spade connectors but decided what the heck, its six more years, and didn't.

Got it going, though.
Managed finally to pull the old ones off and the rest was pretty easy.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I have enough slack in the wire, I just need to find a new detector. ETI would probably be a good place to start. I don’t ever recall seeing them in Camping World. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:39 PM   #10

I ordered mine off Amazon. Don't know if it is the same as the newer ones but was almost exactly the same as what I took out.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 09-14-2018, 04:45 PM   #11

I'm just happy I got it done. It has been beeping in my garage for weeks. That turned out to be useful to know when I'd removed the right fuse, though.

Also, unrelated- half way and 2/3 of the way out of the garage I marked tire lines on the driveway since I have very little clearance. So far just magic marker marks but I want to paint or tape an obvious line on each side.