Unhinged Hatch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2017, 05:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Unhinged Hatch

If the impossible is an absolute, it is therefore absurd to think that some things will not break during normal use. That’s simply not likely, i.e., impossible. Things break with normal use. Regardless of circumstances.

Things are out there the mind surely knows are impossible but --we can also reason they are possible. It’s the world we live in. Angels, elves, the Australian Yowie, the Canadian Nuk-Iuk, Bigfoot, reasonable politicians, I could go on but point made. Dementia lives.

Don’t mean to push anyone’s buttons. If Bigfoot lives for you it’s not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Accordingly, when last week I opened the stinky slinky hatch door to remove my sewer hose I was taken completely by surprise. This is the round door most of us have learned not to trust will stay latched without adding an extra spring clip to it. With no more than normal, modest handling when my hatch swung open the bottom plastic hinge tab snapped off! What the hell? How is that possible? Isn’t the whole hatch made of some durable, magical rubberized plastic?

No way this can be repaired. It’s design is dementia-nally dedicated. I even thought about fabricating my own new hatch door but, then I got rational. The hatch has a www website stamped on it so I looked it up and found out I could order a replacement hatch door from them for only 6 bucks plus $7.50 shipping.

It is possible for the human mind to reason about unreasonable things. Therefore, as I placed my order I also reasoned the shipping charges could have been more reasonable.
Attached Thumbnails
SewerH.jpg  
Old 11-22-2017, 07:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
If the impossible is an absolute, it is therefore absurd to think that some things will not break during normal use. That’s simply not likely, i.e., impossible. Things break with normal use. Regardless of circumstances.

Things are out there the mind surely knows are impossible but --we can also reason they are possible. It’s the world we live in. Angels, elves, the Australian Yowie, the Canadian Nuk-Iuk, Bigfoot, reasonable politicians, I could go on but point made. Dementia lives.

Don’t mean to push anyone’s buttons. If Bigfoot lives for you it’s not that there’s anything wrong with that.

Accordingly, when last week I opened the stinky slinky hatch door to remove my sewer hose I was taken completely by surprise. This is the round door most of us have learned not to trust will stay latched without adding an extra spring clip to it. With no more than normal, modest handling when my hatch swung open the bottom plastic hinge tab snapped off! What the hell? How is that possible? Isn’t the whole hatch made of some durable, magical rubberized plastic?

No way this can be repaired. It’s design is dementia-nally dedicated. I even thought about fabricating my own new hatch door but, then I got rational. The hatch has a www website stamped on it so I looked it up and found out I could order a replacement hatch door from them for only 6 bucks plus $7.50 shipping.

It is possible for the human mind to reason about unreasonable things. Therefore, as I placed my order I also reasoned the shipping charges could have been more reasonable.
Good to know Myron I baby ours just in case . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:41 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 - Nov 2017 "Harvey"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Good to know Myron I baby ours just in case . Pat
Doesn't matter, it will still break on you someday. I ordered two last time for this very reason.
jking1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Myron
Sorry your hinge made you cringe.
But $13.50 is still pretty thrifty
America’s roads are littered with manufacturing toads
At least you have your slinky even if it is stinky.
Dave
Old 11-22-2017, 08:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jking1224 View Post
Doesn't matter, it will still break on you someday. I ordered two last time for this very reason.
Going on 4 years now . When we got the trailer home the cap for the dump valves broke . A tab that holds it on .Called Escape and we were unfortunately on our own . Replaced it and so far.......Pat
Old 11-23-2017, 08:53 AM   #6

I-Dave....ouch!
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: MyronL... I have been a cussed of having dementia annul unhinging many times. My nemesis are the hook prongs of the slinky attachment. When they break off you're forced to kneel there and hold the slinky end to the waste tube. For every thing made by human kind there is a built in "Weak link". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:50 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:

I had a similar issue on my 15B, but it was the plastic attachment point on the tube rather than the pin on the door that broke. I was able to fabricate a fix out of a piece of sheet metal and the door now works as good as ever. The lesson here is that this entire door and latch system is fragile and subject to breaking with even a small impact. Take care!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:

If or when mine breaks I'm just going to cut piece of sewer pipe I have laying around to length and then head to the hardware store for some screw in plugs. That should last as long as I own the trailer
Old 11-24-2017, 01:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
If or when mine breaks I'm just going to cut piece of sewer pipe I have laying around to length and then head to the hardware store for some screw in plugs. That should last as long as I own the trailer
Interesting you mentioned this . If it is the Black pipe that you can get a screw on lid . I added that next the Escape one . I couldn't get my 2 sewer hoses in the one . Just used plumbers metal tape with self drilling screws to hang the black pipe . You are right very sturdy . Pat
Old 11-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #11

Trailer: 2006 Escape 17
drill and zip ties
advdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:34 AM   #12

"...When they break off you're forced to kneel there and hold the slinky end to the waste tube."

Alf, I would only do that once.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #13

The aging pickle:

We of an advanced age must contend. The “gray horde” the “silver tsunami,” the (gulp) walking dead... a corresponding perception of decline and whispered ridicule associated with being senior. My short term memory loss gets blamed for senioritis all the time. Very convenient. Gets worse if you’re a senior-senior, fostered usually by intergenerational contact. It is really not meant to be disrespect. Ageism lurks everywhere. It is done to guard against foreign intrusion. The young invade, the old get pigeonholed.

We know about the culture of youth. I’m saying it: the young are just fearful of losing their riceball. I say, if being young is great, being old is greater. Think of it. No more games. And of course, us oldsters are smart, and usually have the most money. I would not presume to take a poll of Escape trailer owners, but my guess is most of us are owners owing to… yes, being up there.

Older people are not qualitatively different from our “youngers.” We are not creeping off to a twilight world. We actually think of ourselves as being in our thirties. Some even younger. When my wife wants to mock me she calls me a child. True, age is a precondition of most of the decline-hastening diseases. Yet only five percent or less of us have caregivers. The rest are cognitively robust and no way declining toward diapers and depression.

Since I have one, if there was a good magazine article featuring molded fiberglass trailers I would read it. Since I am personally familiar, I was reading an article about this ageism subject. Interesting perceptions others have had about it, when out of the blue… my attention was disrupted by a startling solution. No, not a solution for the problems of ageism. Not glib enough for that.

Had to rush out to the workbench. A vision? It came to me from nowhere. Do they still have them? Sometimes it takes a while to reach a decision, but then it comes and you know it’s right. Although I had already ordered one, I saw a way to fix my busted sewer hatch. Yes, had given up, convinced repair wasn’t possible. But badda-boom, path materialized. This is ageism at its biblical finest.

And here it is. I simply drilled a 1/8th inch hole in some aluminum stock, and cut off a piece of rod to slide in for the pins. It was tricky. I don’t have a drill press. Broke off one drill bit. Then got wise, slowed down, used oil. Yes the mature mind takes care to protect fingers when cutting the stock down to length with the table saw. I’ll have a pickle with that burger. Make it a dilly-dilly.
Attached Thumbnails
SewerH1.jpg  
Old 11-25-2017, 05:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Quote:
The aging pickle:

We of an advanced age must contend. The “gray horde” the “silver tsunami,” the (gulp) walking dead... a corresponding perception of decline and whispered ridicule associated with being senior. My short term memory loss gets blamed for senioritis all the time. Very convenient. Gets worse if you’re a senior-senior, fostered usually by intergenerational contact. It is really not meant to be disrespect. Ageism lurks everywhere. It is done to guard against foreign intrusion. The young invade, the old get pigeonholed.

We know about the culture of youth. I’m saying it: the young are just fearful of losing their riceball. I say, if being young is great, being old is greater. Think of it. No more games. And of course, us oldsters are smart, and usually have the most money. I would not presume to take a poll of Escape trailer owners, but my guess is most of us are owners owing to… yes, being up there.

Older people are not qualitatively different from our “youngers.” We are not creeping off to a twilight world. We actually think of ourselves as being in our thirties. Some even younger. When my wife wants to mock me she calls me a child. True, age is a precondition of most of the decline-hastening diseases. Yet only five percent or less of us have caregivers. The rest are cognitively robust and no way declining toward diapers and depression.

Since I have one, if there was a good magazine article featuring molded fiberglass trailers I would read it. Since I am personally familiar, I was reading an article about this ageism subject. Interesting perceptions others have had about it, when out of the blue… my attention was disrupted by a startling solution. No, not a solution for the problems of ageism. Not glib enough for that.

Had to rush out to the workbench. A vision? It came to me from nowhere. Do they still have them? Sometimes it takes a while to reach a decision, but then it comes and you know it’s right. Although I had already ordered one, I saw a way to fix my busted sewer hatch. Yes, had given up, convinced repair wasn’t possible. But badda-boom, path materialized. This is ageism at its biblical finest.

And here it is. I simply drilled a 1/8th inch hole in some aluminum stock, and cut off a piece of rod to slide in for the pins. It was tricky. I don’t have a drill press. Broke off one drill bit. Then got wise, slowed down, used oil. Yes the mature mind takes care to protect fingers when cutting the stock down to length with the table saw. I’ll have a pickle with that burger. Make it a dilly-dilly.
That’s the spirit Myron. Mother of invention and all that rot. Here’s a personal question. Have you noticed as you get older that when you drop a small metallic part when doing a delicate install, your hearing is now tuned to analyze the sound made and your mind can guess where the part will land especially if you catch a glimpse of the part as it falls? I drop stuff all the time but very rarely lose it or have to look for it over a few seconds. And its getting better as I age! I show those younguns how to do stuff all the time. I show them old tools that they are amazed are just right for the job at hand. I might be getting old but I can still hold my own.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-25-2017, 05:21 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Nice job Myron.

Cheers
Doug
Old 11-25-2017, 06:53 PM   #16

Quote:
The aging pickle:

Excellent ! Pat
Old 11-25-2017, 07:06 PM   #17

Sorry Myron copying your whole post . Should of just used quick reply . Pat
Old 11-25-2017, 07:50 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Thank you Myron for one of the more enjoyable posts I've recently read.

On a side note, you reminded me of how backward western society can be. We discard the very people we should be revering and looking to for wisdom.
Old 11-26-2017, 01:05 PM   #19

unhinged Hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Interesting you mentioned this . If it is the Black pipe that you can get a screw on lid . I added that next the Escape one . I couldn't get my 2 sewer hoses in the one . Just used plumbers metal tape with self drilling screws to hang the black pipe . You are right very sturdy . Pat
A few pictures of the installed extra black pipe which may help someone . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0001 3.jpg   DSC_0002 4.jpg   DSC_0003 5.jpg