Unhitching 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2018, 08:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Unhitching 19

We unhitched for the first time today. I unhooked the lights, chains and chocked the wheels. I removed the leveling bars. For the life of me I couldn't get the hitch to separate from the van. I lowered the tongue, raised it, Jo the van forward and back... nothing. Finally after about 30 frustrating minutes, it came apart.

Any suggestions on how to make this less frustrating?

Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 Escape 19' (Sold)
Oh, we feel your pain. We seemed to be plagued by the "don't unhitch me" bug every time we tried to unhitch. Talked to other Escape owners at rallies and discovered it's not an uncommon phenomenon. What we have found is that you have to raise the hitch a bit (not too high), then 'rock' the ball out of the hitch with the truck (forward/back/forward/etc.). It's frustrating and time consuming, but it's the only thing we've found that works. Some people have mentioned that they grease the ball a bit but that doesn't give me 'warm fuzzies' so we just rock the baby out of it's cradle.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
This thread may help
Unhitching help, please
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Oh, we feel your pain. We seemed to be plagued by the "don't unhitch me" bug every time we tried to unhitch. Talked to other Escape owners at rallies and discovered it's not an uncommon phenomenon. What we have found is that you have to raise the hitch a bit (not too high), then 'rock' the ball out of the hitch with the truck (forward/back/forward/etc.). It's frustrating and time consuming, but it's the only thing we've found that works. Some people have mentioned that they grease the ball a bit but that doesn't give me 'warm fuzzies' so we just rock the baby out of it's cradle.
So, let me test my understanding. You raise the tongue slightly with the jack. One of you holds the hitch release up while the other rocks the truck. Correct? I'm assuming you've chocked the wheels and disconnected everything at this point.
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 08:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Stuck ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
Grease, up inside the coupler, on the ball and on your knee when you run into the uncovered ball. Regular chassis grease, or wheel bearing grease, but grease. It’s a lot faster than rocking the tow vehicle. It will give you more time to feel fuzzy and you’ll sleep like a baby.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:54 PM   #6

No one is holding the hitch release up. We just rock (maneuver) the truck forward a bit, try the release, move the truck back, try the release, etc. Surprisingly, we've found it just takes a minuscule amount of movement. I've found that the more forward the ball looks, the easier it is to release ... if that helps.

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 04-05-2018, 08:56 PM   #7

Great thread to read Rubicon!

Jan

- Cesare Pavese
Old 04-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I used to have this problem with my Scamp. Once I KNEW everything should release, and wouldn't, jacked up the trailer a couple of inches, stepped up on the bumper of the truck and 'stomped' hard on the draw bar. That made it release. Get a bigger hammer...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Grease, up inside the coupler, on the ball and on your knee when you run into the uncovered ball. Regular chassis grease, or wheel bearing grease, but grease. It’s a lot faster than rocking the tow vehicle. It will give you more time to feel fuzzy and you’ll sleep like a baby.
But totally agree.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 09:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post
One of you holds the hitch release up while the other rocks the truck. Correct?
You shouldn't need to hold the latch up. Even if the coupler (that's the part on the trailer) won't come off the ball easily (which is addressed in the other thread which was linked above, and the thread linked to that one), the latch should flip open and stay there without being held.

The latch runs a jaw which slides under back part of the ball. Once the latch is open (so the jaw has slid back) if anything is stopping the trailer's coupler from coming up off of the ball, it's catching at the front of the coupler.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote