Unique problems - no warranty? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #1

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Unique problems - no warranty?

My main question is, should I be upset with Escape.

I have an Escape 19 in Wyoming that is still under warranty. I am the only person having this problem. Keep in mind, I live in Wyoming. It is not that uncommon to see semi trucks blown over on Interstate 80 due to the wind.

I have had two solar panels blown off my trailer. The first one installed at Escape used 3M tape. They covered this under warranty by sending a new panel and epoxy to secure the panel. Which I installed myself.

The second panel blew off and took some of the fiberglass with it on one side. The other side didn’t remove but a dime size of the fiberglass. After sending them pictures of this. I was asked what I wanted. Trying to be nice, I only asked for them to pay for half of a new panel and would mount it myself, using my own techniques. By doing this, I would eliminate them from any further liability of the install. I did not even ask for money to fixed the damaged trailer or for new mounting supplies.

They will only pay for 1/2 a panel if I drive the trailer back to Chilliwack for repairs. I feel as if they think I’m trying to scam them out of money. Why would I damage my trailer to make $250.00. Making a trip to Chilliwack and back home would cost $700 in fuel.

Link to pictures
Library Slideshow by KINGJ182 | Photobucket

Old 05-24-2013, 08:38 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Seems they have worked with you, even beyond warranty.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
To clarify, when I had a recurring issue ( not with my Escape, but another product ), the warranty covered the first instance, but no more than that.
It just makes sense that they would want to ensure that the panels were installed correctly.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:41 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
If this happened to me, I would expect both parties to live up to the terms of the warranty, regardless of any other factors (just because this happened in a state that experiences high winds should be irrelevant). I haven't seen the or read the Escape warranty, but I would think that your answer lies in the wording of the document itself. That's just common sense.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #5

BTW, I didn't see what the terms of the warranty are on their website. Do you know where it's posted?
Old 05-25-2013, 06:53 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 5.0
Damage from high wind seems more like an insurance claim than a warranty issue.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:08 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by onetim View Post
Damage from high wind seems more like an insurance claim than a warranty issue.
Hi: onetim... I agree with you!!! How many times do you think an Ins. Co. would pay to repair this wind damage before dropping the insured? Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Old 05-25-2013, 08:20 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
There are a couple of "levels" of service to consider here: what is required (by law or by contract), what is expected (community standards, which might exceed legal requirements, or historical precedent).

The warranty wording will define what is required by Escape, but we've come to expect better than-the-minimum from them -- not unreasonably so, given that we're paying top dollar for a premium product.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
Old 05-25-2013, 09:25 AM   #9

Talking

Each of these comments have merit, but IMO, the warranty is only, what it says it is; no more, no less. Generally, warranty's state that under certain circumstances, and for a specified length of time, the seller will remedy or resolve a product's (or subset of products) issue/failure to perform to specified levels of performance within specified limitations. And only within those specified limitations. If a seller says, "We provide a complete and total warranty for two years after date of purchase," the buyer is at the mercy of the seller's definition of "warranty." If the seller uses language such as, "in the event of the failure of any of our products for any reason ... " they are obliging themselves to an open-ended liability. While "reasonableness standards" are used by the courts, and their earlier rulings do constitute a body of valuable precedence, they are interpretations which can be modified despite the seller's expectation of liability and the buyer's expectations of their rights. As I noted earlier, I am not a lawyer (but I did watch an episode of LAW & ORDER last night).
Old 05-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #10

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Looks like you will need a body shop to fix that fiberglass, and redo the gel-coat. Maybe the comprehensive clause on the trailer insurance would pay for that. And reinstall the solar panel.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Just an observation on my part but you mentioned
"It is not that uncommon to see semi trucks blown over on Interstate 80 due to the wind."
I think that these trucks that sustained damage caused by wind would have there repairs covered by insurance and not the trucks manufacturer.
I have to be careful to remove snow off the roof of my 19 after every snowfall, if it builds up it could cause damage due to weight and pressure, should I not do this I don't think the resulting damage would be covered under warranty.
I think Escape is being very generous with their offer.
Old 05-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #12

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Before gluing anything to a substrate surface prep is a must. Did Escape give you instructions on prepping both the trailer surface and the solar rails before using the provided epoxy?
I've never had much faith in VHB or 3M tape for any exterior installation. I do know that tape often leaves a residue that must be cleaned off prior to any reapplication.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2010 Escape 15B (c)
It would appear that the epoxy only adhered correctly to the panel in about 25% of its connecting area which would account for additional strain on the remainder. I can quite see that Escape would not cover this a second time, under any warranty. Maybe it would have been wise to mention frequent excessive winds when initially ordering the trailer and that fact would, I'm sure, have been taken into account during the build. Chilliwack doesn't experience such things as a normal occurrence. I guess I feel you are being treated quite reasonably.

"It's quicker to go slow" &
"You're only young once, you're a helluva long time dead"
Old 05-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #14

Trailer: 2011 19' Escape
Thanks for everyones input! I have had a lot of the same thoughts, It's not a black and white issue. The owners put their heart and sole into the business and are nice people. I don't think you can find a trailer that tows better or that is built as well. It is a comfortable feeling to be towing a trailer that doesn't even wiggle when towing in a 40 mph cross wind.

I need a project, so repairing the trailer and reinstalling the solar panel will be fun. But after finding these issues; fresh water drain spray foamed in open position (repaired at factory), no fuse installed in the 12v heat pad circuit (had me scared as I was camping in below freezing weather when found) and aluminum rims / tires were not balanced (took major weight to balance). I know the last two items are not a lot of money to fix, but were paid for by me. I didn't ask for reimbursement and no offer was made, other than sorry about that. I have often thought that the vibration from wheel imbalance helped with the first solar panel debonding.

So in closing, I love my trailer and have no hard feelings toward Escape. But after all these issues, I have no longer been drinking the cool-aid!!!

(no additional comments will be made by me on this subject)
Closed Thread