upholstery fabric - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2013, 09:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 escape 17B
upholstery fabric

Have ordered an Escape 17B and looking to choose our upholstery fabric. Any ideas on fiber content and which ones are the most durable, and supplier names would be greatly appreciated.
dglasrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:13 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
My wife went in to a fabric shop where she got lots of good advice, and came away with a good tough fabric at a real good price.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
We ordered upholstery fabric through Joann Fabrics, with the idea that we wanted a fabric made in the US. Unfortunately, we couldn't have it sent straight to Escape the way we could have if we had ordered from companies who provide Asian-made material. I won't try to understand that. We provided enough fabric to make a mattress cover and all sides of the cushions, which was pretty expensive to buy and ship. And unfortunately, while we discussed this "all sides of all cushions" in emails, it wasn't listed specifically that way on the build sheet and didn't happen. (Lesson learned.) So we got a small roll of fabric back when we picked up the Escape at the factory. At first, this was a bit of a disappointment, but really the heavy PVC fabric they use on the bottom of the cushions will likely hold up better on the plywood bench surfaces. So in the end, I think we're better off with the way Escape made the upholstery. And the workmanship of their upholsterer is excellent.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:49 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We ordered Sunbrella fabric from Sailrite.com - who will ship to Canada. We looked at swatches locally, then ordered a few samples from Sailrite for $1 each to make the final decision.

We had deck awnings made of Sunbrella - and were VERY happy with the material.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I recently ordered from Sailrite also -- it's very easy to do -- they send samples out within a couple of days -- and Tammy indicated that their prices are low compared to other places. Only thing is that my package has been stuck in Canadian customs for a week. Luckily there's no hurry. Tammy said to mail it to Tammy with my last name so there would be no confusion when it arrives at Escape.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:31 PM   #6

One more thing about Sailrite and Sunbrella -- Tammy said it needs to be 54" wide and I got confused at first because there is furniture fabric and marine fabric and they come in the same colors but different widths. Finally I figured out I wanted furniture fabric -- and it turns out that now Escape wants 6 yards if it's a solid color and double that if it is a pattern.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Went to a few stores in the city. Good upholstery fabric can get pretty dad-gum pricey at 5-6 yards a pop.

Went online --- found New Toto Fabrics. Picked what we liked, 6 yards, $78.00, plus $17.57 shipping. They shipped it UPS to my house.

It cost me another $47.05 shipping that fabric to Chilliwack.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 escape 17B
Good info, thanks for the response to the post. We'll have a look at the fabric sites listed.
Don and Karen
dglasrud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:03 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
You might ask about drop shipping it to Canada. We're doing that with our satellite antenna.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #10

We had the upholstery fabric sent directly from Sailrite on August 16, it got to Canada customs on August 21 and I just saw that yesterday it cleared customs. I was a little concerned it was taking so long and went online to see other people's experiences and while usually it only takes a few days there are times when things can get held up at Canadan Customs for an entire month.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:42 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The UPS store in town here flat refused to ship our fabric to Canada. Owner told me they stopped shipping there because they encountered too much hassle with the Canadian customs people. Sent it Priority Mail at the post office. Tracking stopped at the border. That got me nervous, but Tammy confirmed they received it 8 days later.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:56 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
We ordered upholstery fabric through Joann Fabrics, with the idea that we wanted a fabric made in the US. Unfortunately, we couldn't have it sent straight to Escape the way we could have if we had ordered from companies who provide Asian-made material. I won't try to understand that. We provided enough fabric to make a mattress cover and all sides of the cushions, which was pretty expensive to buy and ship. And unfortunately, while we discussed this "all sides of all cushions" in emails, it wasn't listed specifically that way on the build sheet and didn't happen. (Lesson learned.) So we got a small roll of fabric back when we picked up the Escape at the factory. At first, this was a bit of a disappointment, but really the heavy PVC fabric they use on the bottom of the cushions will likely hold up better on the plywood bench surfaces. So in the end, I think we're better off with the way Escape made the upholstery. And the workmanship of their upholsterer is excellent.
Because I was concerned about wear in the small dinette area, I requested a "pvc type" fabric for the bottoms of the seat cushions, since they'd be resting on the plwood. Also, I could put the plastic side up when less than neat eaters were at the table. I also have since put the anti-rug slide stuff underneath.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:49 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
Also, I could put the plastic side up when less than neat eaters were at the table.
Dang, I gotsta sit on plastic when I visit Sandra's trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:16 PM   #14

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Dang, I gotsta sit on plastic when I visit Sandra's trailer.
If you promise not to spill or be sloppy, I will have them fabric side up.