Using a 19-volt television in the Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2019, 07:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Using a 19-volt television in the Escape

I have been using a small Insignia 12-volt TV in my trailer. It works fine. I also had a small LG TV in my house. Both televisions have external power supplies: the LG's outputs 19 volts to the TV, the Insignia's outputs 12V. I discovered that although both TVs are supposedly "1080p", the Insignia was unusable as a computer monitor due to poor resolution but the LG worked fine. So I decided to swap them and use the LG in the trailer. I'd like to use a bigger screen for computer work when traveling.

A while back I bought a variable output laptop power supply from Amazon. It takes a 12V or line voltage input and will output different voltages including 19 volts. The link no longer works but there are several similar power supplies still for sale on Amazon. Today I finally made the swap. Everything seems to work. I'll leave the TV on overnight to see how much it drains the batteries. The TV draws 24 watts according to its manual.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 10:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Good to know. Our trailer TV went with the 19. Its' nominal voltage from the power supply was about 16 volts and it worked fine on the trailer battery.

Seems like external power supplies aren't as common as they used to be. But I'm hoping to find one that is targeted at the home market, not the RV market. Seems like they're a little more expensive.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:16 AM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
an ongoing pain with replacing 120VAC power supplies with DC ones is the connectors on the back of the devices, there are so many variants. those coax DC power supply connectors come in about 40 sizes, with both the outer diameter and the pin size being variable.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:55 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
an ongoing pain with replacing 120VAC power supplies with DC ones is the connectors on the back of the devices, there are so many variants. those coax DC power supply connectors come in about 40 sizes, with both the outer diameter and the pin size being variable.
A number of laptops have special circuitry that if not detected, inhibits the power supply from charging the batteries. For example, buy a "replacement" power supply for a Dell and if it's not an OEM Dell supply - it won't work. A generic 12v to 19v adapter would be rejected.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
A number of laptops have special circuitry that if not detected, inhibits the power supply from charging the batteries. For example, buy a "replacement" power supply for a Dell and if it's not an OEM Dell supply - it won't work. A generic 12v to 19v adapter would be rejected.
I didn't know this. Thanks for the info; it's something to keep in mind when charging a laptop in the trailer. Apple doesn't make a 12V charger for its laptops so I bought a third-party charger that I don't really trust; it gets pretty hot. It works, though. Current Apples use USB-C for charging so that simplifies things for them, at least. Fortunately for TV use we don't have to worry about charging.

After my experience with an "RV ready" Jensen 12V TV I no longer buy appliances made for an RV. It was expensive, heavy, and performed poorly. Now I just try to buy small, relatively cheap appliances for the home and adapt them to trailer use. The Insignia TV has been all over the country with no problems. On my maiden voyage in my trailer in 2014 I bought a $50 Rival microwave for the trailer. It still works fine, and when it finally breaks I'll buy another one.
Old 07-15-2019, 08:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have never had trouble with my 120V TV or laptop plug. I used to use a small 200W inverter to run both, but now with solar just use the 1500W inverter. Easy peasy, no worries about power drain from the batteries. All is simple for me and works great.

Mind you, we rarely seem to watch TV. Fires are more fun in a camping situation.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Yup, been down that path. I have a box of old power supplies for electronics that have bit the dust. Usually I can look through the box and find an end that fits what I need. I'm reluctant to toss stuff because you never know.....

At least that's my excuse have have a storage room filled with junk.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
...Mind you, we rarely seem to watch TV. Fires are more fun in a camping situation.
So Jim, is changing channels for you a matter of switching to birch firewood from spruce firewood?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
So Jim, is changing channels for you a matter of switching to birch firewood from spruce firewood?
Very often so, but at our land NW of Sundre we swap spruce for poplar.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Very often so, but at our land NW of Sundre we swap spruce for poplar.
and out here on the mid-left coast, we swap madrone for oak.

i hate using softwoods like evergreens for camp fires, they burn too fast and smokey.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 03:47 PM   #11

Quote:

i hate using softwoods like evergreens for camp fires, they burn too fast and smokey.
The spruce does burn fast, but no smoke. We always dry it good first. And have a dozen or more cords so amount is not a problem.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:05 PM   #12

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Quote:

But pine with some pitch smells soooo good!
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:29 PM   #13

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Since we have drifted off Mike's original question is it time to ask Jim whether he likes to eat poutine at his campfires
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 06:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
Since we have drifted off Mike's original question is it time to ask Jim whether he likes to eat poutine at his campfires
Sorry Adrian, but I have failed there. Maybe next time I deep fry a turkey out camping I should give it a go.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:47 PM   #15

Have fun, ya'll.