Using a zert fitting to grease bearings - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-20-2016, 03:02 PM   #1

Trailer: None as yet
Using a zert fitting to grease bearings

The wife and I took a tour of a 19' this noon. While there, the owner and I got in a discussion about bearings and he mentioned that the place where he went to get his safety inspection done, rejected his trailer because there was grease on the brakes from when he injected grease into the bearings.

The facility charged him to 1.) clean the brakes and 2.) repack the bearings before issuing his safety inspection sticker.

Has anyone ever heard of such before?

SSBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:18 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Yes, it's a maintenance issue. EZ-Lube axles work, but don't preclude a visual inspection. Seals need to be replaced (properly) just like all axles on trailers. Where the problem happens is when the (typical) owner gets over zealous with the grease gun. There's good YouTube videos on how to grease the axle with EZ-Lubes and Dexter has good info too.

IF you're a traveler, like months out at a time, EZ-Lube work well by greasing the axle occasionally before doing it's scheduled maintenance.

There's EZ-Lubes on Ten Forward, I'm glad. But I also know how they need to be maintained, since I purposely put an EZ-Lube on my Scamp years ago. There will always be opinions about the EZ-Lube. Oftentimes the opinion is subjective. Do your due diligence and you'll be fine.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
I've stated my opinion on this in the past. I'm of the belief that E-Z Lube is a disaster waiting to happen. Therefore, I would say due dilligence is to forget that the E-Z lube is there, and maintain the bearings the true and tried way. Inspect and hand pack them or if you do not have the ability or the confidence to do so, pay someone to do it. Again that's my opinion; others may think differently. And that's OK, as long as they stay away from my trailer with their grease guns.
"What a long, strange trip it's been....."
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #4
Site Team

See there you go. Another opinion. The biggest one is "just because you have it, doesn't mean you have to use it." Your choice. Choices are always good
Old 08-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Just for clarity, it's a "Zerk" fitting... or rather, it's probably not actually a Zerk brand item, but a grease fitting of that style. It is a feature of the E-Z Lube system from Dexter Axle (like similar systems from other manufacturers) which is now standard on Escapes. E-Z Lube is for flushing out old contaminated grease with new grease after backing your boat trailer into water. I agree that Dexter is the authority on how to use this, and yes - brake contamination certainly happens when the system is used improperly.

My solution would be to do the cleanup, then never inject grease into the fitting again. That's not the only valid approach.

A search of Escapeforum.org for "E-Z Lube" yields a substantial amount of previous discussion.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 03:48 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" (previously 17B "Blue") 2016 Highlander XLE (previously 2008 Tacoma)
I think if I had a boat trailer that spent a lot of time getting its wheels in the water, that I would probably want to use E_Z Lube to replace contaminated grease. But on an RV trailer I think I'll stick with the old disassemble, inspect and repack method. Now if I could only talk Reace into the sealed bearing Nev-R-Lube model.... but no luck with that.
Old 08-20-2016, 03:59 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
I believe one of the biggest misconceptions is that one can add grease to a stationary wheel. I have found this in forum discussions and on line. The wheel must be turned while grease is being injected or it will, indeed, build up pressure as it is not being distributed. There is only one machined hole in the back and without turning the wheel unequal pressure would be formed. If you only hand pack EZ Lube spindles you must be certain that you do have enough grease in them. They are machined with additional space to allow the flow of grease back to the front. If you don't have enough, the bearing may lose their grease to this additional space. I recently had mine done by a shop and discovered my bearing temps over 200 degrees. When I took them apart, I found little grease in the rear bearings. Although I don't like doing the bearings, I will go back to only doing my own.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2015 Dodge Ram 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Where the problem happens is when the (typical) owner gets over zealous with the grease gun.
Donna, what did you mean by "over zealous"? I'm thinking the main problem people are having with the E-Z Lube, is not putting in enough grease....although there could be other issues such as the wrong type of grease or not rotating while filling.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 06:25 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by davescape View Post
Donna, what did you mean by "over zealous"? I'm thinking the main problem people are having with the E-Z Lube, is not putting in enough grease....although there could be other issues such as the wrong type of grease or not rotating while filling.
To me overzealous is putting more grease into the zerks than is needed. On Dexter there's a mention that says something like... as soon as you see the grease changing color... stop. For me that's about five pumps. I've read where people go through an entire canister PLUS. AND jack up the trailer and spin the wheel, you can pump at the same time the wheel is turning, honest. I use Lucas Red and Tacky. YMMV.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD & 2 handmade teardrops
...I'll add my two cents in here...I have used E-Z lubes for the last 12 yrs on 3 different axles and have had no problems with blowing grease out the back seal...the secret is an easy hand on the grease gun and continuous rotation of the wheel...I jack the wheel off the ground and give it a healthy spin...then SLOWLY work the handle of the grease gun while alternately spinning the wheel...I will repeat...a spinning wheel and an E-Z hand on the grease gun...good luck and as always YMMV.......
madjack

madjack is offline   Reply With Quote