UV protection - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Question UV protection

Other than a cover, does anyone know of a product to protect the fiberglass from yellowing? I am thinking that there might be a marine product that keeps yachts white.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Check out 303 Aerospace Protectant, especially the reviews on Amazon. It's all I've ever used on my 19. Love the stuff.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray View Post
Check out 303 Aerospace Protectant, especially the reviews on Amazon. It's all I've ever used on my 19. Love the stuff.

Bruce
It says "SPF 40" on the front of the bottle.
How exactly are you applying it? We have a pole with a pad to reach the middle of the roof. Maybe there is a better way.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray View Post

Bruce
I use this on my trailer and the the 3 dirtbikes and one quad we have as well as any plastic on my truck including the tires and wheels..........etc, etc, etc.!!!!!!!

An excellent product.

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floating Cloud View Post
It says "SPF 40" on the front of the bottle.
OK, now go to 17. Do car waxes provide real UV protection?
and draw your own conclusion.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:01 AM   #6

I use an 8' step ladder and lean in carefully, not putting too much weight on the roof.

Bruce
Old 04-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #7

This is from Wikipedia:

Many marine craft and aircraft are manufactured using composite materials with an outer layer of gelcoat, typically 0.5 mm to 0.8 mm (0.02 in to 0.03 in) thick. Gelcoats are designed to be durable, providing resistance to ultraviolet degradation and hydrolysis.

I just use a wash/wax solution ( Simonize ) several times a year. The only way to tell if some other product is better would be to park two trailers outside for thirty years, using one product on one and another product on the other.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:18 AM   #8

303 isn't a wax.

2012 Escape 19'
2013 F350 crewcab 4x4
Paul S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I have used the 303 since reading about it on the Wenonah canoe website - they recommend it for their fiberglass and Kevlar canoes. I still mostly use NuFinish wax on the fiberglas of our 17B, but use the 303 on everything plastic.

On our Tacoma, I have tried lots of "protectant" stuff on the plastic pieces like the bumper covers and mirrors and the 303 outlasts them by a long margin. I may start using it on all the fiberglass of our trailer too as it is so much easier to apply than the wax and seems to last much longer.

What convinced me to keep our tailer waxed/303'd is seeing older fiberglass trailers across the country that look like chalk.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #10

Do you remove any wax prior to applying 303, so that it bonds to the gelcoat?
I have Nu Finish that I didn't use because:

We recommend that you do not have a previous coating of wax on the car prior to applying any car polish. You won’t harm your car’s finish by applying Nu Finish over a coating of wax. In order to achieve maximum results, a polish or wax needs to adhere directly to the paint. Applying a product over the pre-existing coating of wax will not allow the polish or wax to work properly. Carnauba wax breaks down relatively quickly so once the surface is clear of a coating of wax, you will be able to apply Nu Finish Car Polish to achieve your best results.

So, do you wax over the 303? Or vice-versa? Or no wax?
Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 AM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Thanks to you all for your responses. Aerospace 303 advertises UV protection. A couple of porch lights yellowed in the Sacramento sun, and it appears that the fiberglass is less than bright white. This all happened before I got a cover. However, as I have contemplated other outdoor storage (my garage door opening is too short), I was hoping to eliminate the need to remove and replace the cover for the fair weather months.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:42 AM   #12

Plastics do go yellow after exposure to the elements, but the trailer is fibreglass coated in gelcoat ( which has UV protection built in ). I think you need to ask, is the yellowing caused by exposure to sun, or to something else ( pollution? ).

Whatever you do, don't change your signature "Sunshine".
Old 04-18-2013, 10:45 AM   #13

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I waxed our trailer last fall just before putting into storage with Meguires marine/rv wax. I have been able to wash it a couple times since and I have been using Carbrite soap with wax in it. This seems to really help keep the water beading on it and alow the water/ snow to slide off. Shines nicely too. I use 303 on plastic stuff inside the vehicles but so far I can't convince my self to not wax the exterior stuff. I like the shine and how easily the water comes off after washing.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Do you remove any wax prior to applying 303, so that it bonds to the gelcoat?
I have Nu Finish that I didn't use because:

We recommend that you do not have a previous coating of wax on the car prior to applying any car polish. You won’t harm your car’s finish by applying Nu Finish over a coating of wax. In order to achieve maximum results, a polish or wax needs to adhere directly to the paint. Applying a product over the pre-existing coating of wax will not allow the polish or wax to work properly. Carnauba wax breaks down relatively quickly so once the surface is clear of a coating of wax, you will be able to apply Nu Finish Car Polish to achieve your best results.

So, do you wax over the 303? Or vice-versa? Or no wax?
G, I used the NuFinish from the start with the trailer so that wasn't a problem. I will have to read what the 303 says about putting it on surfaces that have already had another product on them. Good thoughts. I just wrote to the 303 people and asked about putting it on over the NuFinish and will let you know what they have to say.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-18-2013, 01:49 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Peace and Sunshine Sandra, I go by reviews and lots of people are giving excellent reviews of 303 on their fiberglass. That is not necessarily with regard to UV protection, however. I guess you would have to see and compare over time. I do recall that Reace has told people that UV is a big enemy of fiberglass. We also do not want to keep putting on and taking off the cover in better weather. Our cover does not nearly block out all of the UV. I don't see anything out there getting as good reviews as 303.

303 is supposed to be particularly good for plastics, tires and interior coverings also. Of course, the tires and UV are another big problem but you can easily use tire covers.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
G, I used the NuFinish from the start with the trailer so that wasn't a problem. I will have to read what the 303 says about putting it on surfaces that have already had another product on them. Good thoughts. I just wrote to the 303 people and asked about putting it on over the NuFinish and will let you know what they have to say.
Here is the reply I received from the 303 people:
"Thank you for contacting Gold Eagle Co. 303® Aerospace Protectant may not be fully compatible with already-treated surfaces with most polishes. The reason for this is because 303AP is a water based product, and these polishes repel water. 303AP would simply not bond properly. I suggest to wait until the polish wears off, or strip it off with a non-abrasive rubbing compound. If you require further assistance please feel free to contact me."

Old 04-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
303 is for non fiberglass surfaces, like plastic a/c shrouds, your plastic bath vent, the rubber seal in the MaxxAir all can use it, the trailer itself needs a wax or polish, like a boat.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:44 PM   #18

I went out and looked at my bottle of 303 --- it says "fiberglass" right on the front label. It's done a great job on my trailer for the last 4 years.

Bruce
Old 04-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I stand corrected, it does. I'll have to try some. I just ordered the wipes and a bottle from amazon.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
So I have read and retread the comments and I seem no closer to figuring out what is best for my RV maintenance. With the Aerospace 303 protectant do I first need to wash my 19 ...and with what? How frequently do you clean your RV's?
I am hoping for a lightbulb moment and realize what I missed in this thread!
Cheers, Janet

we are the Worth's and this is our little fort....Fort Worth
Janet W is offline   Reply With Quote